iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2022 Garden Seed and Starts - Better get on it!!

Started by SwampDonkey, January 15, 2022, 04:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

What kind of light are you using again?

I transplanted sunflowers into bigger cups yesterday and am waffling on whether to plant another few rows of brassica in the ground when we have a 29°F evening on the way
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

1000 w equiv (110 w actual). full spectrum LED. TOPSUN-S brand, but it's nothing special. Got one more coming Wednesday. Up here it's roughly $100-125 per 1000 watt. I got these for $89 + tax each I think. Price goes up and down every week on Amazon. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

Planted a variety of peppers the other day in a 72 cell tray.

Here is what the cucumbers did this week.

Tomatoes. The back one is about 3" wide and the two up front are 1-1/2 and 1-3/4". I've pruned them back a lot. The older leaves are getting a little gangly so the plants will not win for beauty. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

The peppers are beginning to germinate, the 'Carmen' slender red sweet peppers came up quick, jalapenos and red bells are slower.

stavebuyer

The local stores are saying Roma Italian Green bean seed is unobtainable this year.  Our favorite; and have grown them for over 40 years. I found some at Gurney's but with shipping are going to cost $18/lb. 

I am tired of Covid.  :snowball:

SwampDonkey

Looks similar to Velero Romano flat beans.  500 seeds for CDN$12.80 at Veseys on PEI. 54 days to maturity. They sell larger sacks up to 80,000 seeds. I would imagine they are counted by weight on a count scale, I have one. Whose going to physically count 80,000 seeds? :D

newoodguy78

kantuckid

Quote from: stavebuyer on April 14, 2022, 06:57:45 PM
The local stores are saying Roma Italian Green bean seed is unobtainable this year.  Our favorite; and have grown them for over 40 years. I found some at Gurney's but with shipping are going to cost $18/lb.

I am tired of Covid.  :snowball:
Might try Grandpa Bishop heirloom beans, One place to look is www.appalachianheirloomplant farm.com
another we use is Heirloom Bean Seed - By Wrights Heirlooms
We also grow a bean called Bob Hayes bean grown by a guy I know who taught at Morehead state-it's a broad bean with great taste and keeps well. We raise only beans with strings, FWIW. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Jeff

Probably another 3 weeks before we can even think about putting stuff out.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Peppers are not quite all germinated, be a couple days probably.

Separated one of the cukes. Growing like gangbusters.

A couple of these Scotians

Basal, I've cut this back to half height earlier, now ready for another hair cut.

black elder update.

21incher

I tried that new 2 ft x 4 ft heat mat this year and my peppers all germinated in a couple days. Snowed again today and I am really late getting  started  outside. Hope  it starts  warming up soon.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

It was only 6 days for total germ. I think last year it was 2 weeks just in sunlight and with grow light on as well in an open room. But yeah, a warm mat certainly works to speed things up to. My tent is heated and trays on stands and have circulation fans, so it's getting heat all around as is, 75-80 degrees. Some seed is 2 years old. I've got lots of time here, nothing goes in before the middle of June. I think this year was 2 or 3 weeks longer for lawn to get bare. In 2020 we had our last snow storm on the 9th of May. :D

I see my old clump of rhubarb coming to life, always get a snow on it when it comes up. One tough plant. :)

SwampDonkey

Cuke update, I do see some runners emerging, so those will have the flowers. ;D

Will be transplanting peppers tomorrow and I have markers for them, several varieties to keep straight. ;) I won't be potting them all, just 8 of the best of each for the garden. And leave some for back up in case I loose one in the transfer. ;)

kantuckid

Mother nature has covid? We have two more frosts on the agenda for a week from now. Showy Orchis is in bloom, Mayapples are mostly up, Blood Roots in bloom, Forsythia's long gone, Buckeye many leaves are burnt, Dogwoods often burnt, Redbuds so-so, this weekends slated top be hot near 80's then these two frosts next week, bye-bye leaves. Our tomato seedlings could go out now, but ;D...

SwampDonkey

@kantuckid  That was 2020. ;D But 30 degree mornings ain't quite warm enough for plant life. :D I don't set nothing out until June 15th. We always get frost the first week of June. The absent minded will stick stuff out when we get a hot snap the end of May, then have it turn black by June 7th. :D I think old Bernstein in ND gets in a hurry to garden every spring, always has to plant stuff over, too cold in April in ND, just like here. But gonna try anyway, and loose in the end. :D :D

Uncle always said a June garden is ahead of any planted too early. :D

thecfarm

We plant a bunch of peppers too. 
I like ace the best for the sweet ones. Even those the size of a half dollar in Sept are still good.  ;)  They keep putting fruit on until frost.
Seem like last year was cold in the mornings too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Peppers seem to be tough, I picked into October last year, and finally just pulled them when everything else was done. ;D

Different varieties up here in Canada from MacKenzie and Veseys. All look and taste like peppers to me. :D I like to grow the varieties that turn red, that way you have green and red both. :)

Planning on preserving a lot more jalapeno slices this year, great on a meat sandwich. ;D

kantuckid

A TN company signed up many growers for sweet peppers here in KY. It lasted only a few years then every grower quit. The red's paid a per ton premium but weather killed too many peppers to get enough reds to make it pay off and the greens were priced at what was break even or lose money. The effort was one of several to replace burley tobacco as a local cash crop in KY. Peaches are similar here as frost burns them 3 out of 5 years-approximately.  
We don't plant in main garden until soils warm which isn't now. Yesterday temps in TN and KY ran from mid to high 80's but gets a hard frost later this  week here twice. 

SwampDonkey

21incher

Snowing again down here. Going to be a late start  >:(.

newoodguy78

It's been a slow start here. The cold wind just won't blow itself out of here. Expecting a frost here tonight and the next few. I'm ready for warm weather. 

SwampDonkey

Tomatoes are ripening. 8)

We're in the middle of a 5 day storm, rain one minute snow the next.

SwampDonkey

The cucumber climb begins. The string is doubled so you can loop the vine between them to help support them. ;)

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!