iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First sawmill

Started by OldRedFord, February 15, 2022, 08:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRedFord

Heat and a 20 ton press didn't budge the bearing race. Tonight I put a weld around the bearing race. Tapped with a hammer and no movement. 

I personally don't have a press at this time so I'm running out of ideas. 

moodnacreek

If you heat that spoked wheel heat the rim and a few spokes first as you go to the center, if just the hub is heated it might break. A weld around that cup and it should fall out ??

OldRedFord

Quote from: moodnacreek on November 20, 2022, 08:19:18 PM
If you heat that spoked wheel heat the rim and a few spokes first as you go to the center, if just the hub is heated it might break. A weld around that cup and it should fall out ??
Tried the weld tonight. No luck. I was hoping to not torch it out so I could get the number off the race. But I'll cut it out if that's what it takes. 

OldRedFord

Welp I've screwed up. 

I'll let the video explain. 

November 22, 2022 - YouTube

moodnacreek

Anytime I did what you did it worked when the weld cooled. Could you lay that wheel flat on a wood block or plank and set up some vibration against the weld [from the back side] with an air chisel? Too bad there are no punch holes to drive the cup out. Some spray a freeze solution , it can be bought in areosol cans. I have some but haven't tried it .

711ac

Quote from: OldRedFord on November 22, 2022, 07:33:22 PM
Welp I've screwed up.

I'll let the video explain.

November 22, 2022 - YouTube
Are you saying that you welded the race to the wheel?
I like your determination 👍

OldRedFord

Got one bearing race bored out. Need to aneal the other side to cut the weld. 

2nd picture is looking at where exactly the carriage track will sit. I'm still working that out but easier with a piece to look at. Need to replace all the wood.

moodnacreek

" Need to aneal the weld" Yes you do but who in H would  know that today!  Keep posting.

OldRedFord

Quote from: moodnacreek on November 27, 2022, 10:05:17 AM
" Need to aneal the weld" Yes you do but who in H would  know that today!  Keep posting.
Going to try. Been pushing hard to be ready to have my septic system installed on December 12 for my barndominim project. 

Then realized the sight glass for the headstock oil level in my lathe is stained and not showing the actual oil level. Got that pulled off for cleaning.  :-[

Doing my best to get my electrical rough 90% done so I can get a rough in inspection done. When I pulled my building permit I went for a 400 amp service. I'll also have a 40 or 60 horse rotary phase converter for my shop equipment and may run the Frick edger off a 20 hp three phase motor or a electric powered sawdust blower. 

moodnacreek

Your really going to town Red. Do it now while you are young. My little shop is single phase as is the green chain but the sawmill is 3 phase / 480 V off my gen set, 175 kw. The price of fuel is a killer here. makes me not want to saw but winter is the time for sawing and I sold a lot this summer so it is time to replenish .  Even if you just had the sawmill to rebuild and set up it is much work and taking short cuts will kill you later. Where did you learn machine work?

OldRedFord

Quote from: moodnacreek on November 28, 2022, 09:53:27 PM
Your really going to town Red. Do it now while you are young. My little shop is single phase as is the green chain but the sawmill is 3 phase / 480 V off my gen set, 175 kw. The price of fuel is a killer here. makes me not want to saw but winter is the time for sawing and I sold a lot this summer so it is time to replenish .  Even if you just had the sawmill to rebuild and set up it is much work and taking short cuts will kill you later. Where did you learn machine work?
Didn't own a lathe until two years ago but had used one when I took welding in college. YouTube is a good teacher too. Two favorites would be Abom79 and Keith Rucker. 
First time I ever did any threading on a lathe. https://youtu.be/M1aaRs0BhdU
Aside from that is just intuition and trying things.

moodnacreek

Unless I  am really in trouble I have little patience for videos with all the music and adds. Once I could not get a timing belt on so go to you tube and watch some nut and he couldn't do it either. Had to get a book.  I would much rather read  if I can. Anyhow I am surprised at your knowledge and ambition.

OldRedFord

Shortly before Christmas I had the building inspector out for my shop/house build. Was hoping for an extension on my building permit and I got 90 days to finish my rough in work so the sawmill has been on hold. Maybe not a full holding off on that project but 75% of my focus has been on my building so sorry for the lack of updates. 

Wiring up the 400 amp service...

OldRedFord

Got new bearing races in the carriage wheel. Used a die grinder with a carbide bur to remove the weld and a guick hit with a air chisel and the welded in bearing race popped out.  

Walnut Beast

Looks to be a nice setup! Looking good 👍 

WDFL

Nice project - enjoyed the pics and good luck!
Way above my skill level, or even desire.  
LT15(S) w/GO Option
Kubota L2501 HST w/Grapple
Collector of antique 2-cylinder John Deere tractors

OldRedFord

I haven't given up on the sawmill. Just haven't had much time so far to mess with it much. 

Doing my best to reach my goal of finishing my barndominim by September. 

Thank You Sponsors!