iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simple spaghetti sauce

Started by Patrick NC, February 27, 2022, 06:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

Been making this for years.  Nothing special,  but the family seems to love it.
1 jar of organic tomato basil spaghetti sauce.
1lb of ground beef
3 cans of diced tomatoes
2 cans of stewed tomatoes
1 diced onion
1 diced bell pepper
2 diced jalapeƱo
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp chili powder.
Brown ground beef and onion. Add ingredients and simmer on low for 1 hour.

Add spaghetti and garlic bread and you have a great cold day dinner. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Ianab

I do a very similar recipe, but usually add some mushrooms as well. Comes out good.  Like you say, it's simple and easy to make and makes a pound of mince meat go a long way. (works with minced pork just the same)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV Sawmiller

We do so on a smaller scale and just take a jar of commercial sauce and add a large (quart size or thereabouts) can or two of diced or crushed tomatoes to a pound of browned hamburger, sometimes a little diced onion and/or a can of sliced mushrooms.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Patrick NC

Wife doesn't like mushrooms,  but I've used pork,  venison,  and bear. It all turned out good. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Patrick NC

Bear usually needs a little bacon fat to brown good without sticking to the pan. 

sawguy21

That is a basic staple here, I am not very creative in the kitchen. I buy two or three different sauces then add whatever is hanging around in the fridge. Mushrooms and yellow onions are a must, I brown them with the meat then add the sauce. The last batch had a splash of Louisiana hot sauce, it was good but will lighten up a tad next time. ;D. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WDH

I use Italian sausage instead of ground beef.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Curious, but what makes Italian sausage Italian?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Eleven herbs and spices.   ???

Just a different 11 from the Colonel  That would be a Kentucky Fried Sausage.  :D

It's a minor source of national shame that NZ doesn't have an official sausage flavour. We have plenty of different sausages. Beef / lamb / pork / chicken etc, but Italian / chorizo  etc are already taken. So no signature sausage. 

Having  said that, some chorizo and bacon will work in that recipe.    :)  Or even a good old lamb sausage.   ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Make me own from the garden in summer and can it up. Just add the beef. Still got 3 more jars. No unpronounceable ingredients. 8) It's like boiling down maple syrup though. :D

Had spaghetti and meatballs yesterday in fact. Fresh garden picked salad along side, from the grow tent. Cheese on everything. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Fennel is a key ingredient in Italian sausage that gives it a signature taste.  Some may not like it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

K-Guy

I'm not a big spaghetti fan, so of coarse it's a favorite of my wife and one she gets a lot of compliments on. Her sauce is similar to all for spices but she adds cooked hamburger, sweet Italian sausage, pepperoni, and chicken.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Raider Bill

Quote from: WDH on February 28, 2022, 07:29:18 AM
Fennel is a key ingredient in Italian sausage that gives it a signature taste.  Some may not like it.
I agree. I use extra fennel when I make mine.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

bluthum

I like a lot of oregano along with the usual garlic and etc. Lots of mushrooms in season. Strange as it may sound  I often add carrots and celery, the carrots go in later to retain some texture. The recipe relies heavily on what's handy but meat will be venison.

kantuckid

The Better Homes & Gardens standard cookbook has a top tier spaghetti sauce recipe. We make tomato sauce when canning as it saves time and storage space given the maters are condensed further before eaten. I can take a tad of Fennel, my wife dislikes it if any, at all is there. We only buy angel hair pasta for spaghetti- just a personal taste thing.
Olive garden has a delicious 5 cheese ziti on their menu. I found several VG copycat recipes online for it, but we've not made one yet at home. Check it out. I like spaghetti with chicken Parmesan! 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!