Sponsors:

2022 garden beds

Started by Bruno of NH, April 23, 2022, 12:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

2022 garden beds 
Japanese cedar (sugi)
We will see how these sell

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SwampDonkey

You won't be able to make them fast enough. thumbs-up
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

Bruno,

Are those 1" gaps between the bottom boards?

I make a few but don't market them well I guess and they are slow movers. I do end up using them as sawhorses and building jigs all the time. Mine look very similar to yours only not nearly as pretty. Mine are about 4' long, 2' wide, 1' deep and 3' tall. I think I copied mostly from ones I saw you make.

I screw a couple of 1" X 1" X 4' stickers on the bottom, fill in the bottom boards then put another pair of stickers on top to hold the floor boards in. I make my bottoms solid. Is that a mistake?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

Howard
I leave a 15/16 gap
I tell customers to put in landscape fabric in the bottom
That way if it rains to much to soil can drain.
The fabric hold in the soil 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

farmfromkansas

I have been using old tractor tires and water tanks for raised bed gardens, fill them about 2/3 full of composted cow manure, and plant tomatoes, green beans, squash, peas, have to water them every day, but they really produce.  I put some landscape fabric under the tires and visqueen to keep the bindweed from growing up through the compost.  We have never had such a great producing garden until trying straight compost.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

WV Sawmiller

Yes, but that doesn't help you sell any lumber. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Walnut Beast

What are you guys asking for them ?

rusticretreater

I am building an enclosed garden out of similar boxes. In the bottom I am putting galvanized corrugated roofing metal with a few drilled holes.  I am also thinking about making the bottom into a hopper with two slanted sides to make the excess water run right out. The wood should last a lot longer.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Bruno of NH

I'm getting $150 for the cedar ones

Walnut Beast

Thanks! Really nice looking job there Bruno 👍. What are the dimensions of them? 

Bruno of NH

3ft high x 2ft wide x 4ft long x 12" deep

Old Greenhorn

I was wondering if you were still making and selling these Bruno. There was no mention of them last year, so I thought interest dropped off. 
 I have yet to make any on my own, just can't seem to get everything done I need to do. Maybe this year, but time is slipping away.
 Since that first thread you started on this topic was so good and involved so many folks with a lot of good ideas and discussion, I feel that thread should be linked here for those just finding this: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=110272.0
 I really should make some sawhorses and boxes to get them up on my FB and web pages. I still think your pricing on your sawhorses should be higher. HD is selling wooden ones now made by a small company for a higher price (nearly double yours? I forget).
 Your are always thinking and really making it work!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

I sell mine for $55 each here in WV but I use whatever scrap wood I have left laying around and they certainly don't have the finished look of Bruno's. Also we are very rural and don't have the urban customers available with more money than sense. Mostly I use poplar, some ash, and Norway Spruce. I made a couple last year out of scrap walnut that were real pretty. I figure there is about 27 bf of lumber and about $2 worth of fasteners in it so I just doubled the selling price of most of the rough lumber I used. I can knock out a couple in about an hour. I'd have to take them to Charlotte or such to get more for them.

I also end up using them as sawhorses and work tables and such when building composting toilets or other projects. 
Howard Green

Maine Miller

Thanks for sharing. I just knocked down a few cedar trees yesterday and was looking for something to do with them.
I have an elderly Aunt that wants to have a few tomato plants on her small back patio, and I thought this would make it much easier for her. Pretty simple to make, and I think she will be pleased.

SwampDonkey

Yep, that surely will be put to good use. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Maine Miller

Weed Fabric in and ready for topsoil

Peter Drouin

Bruno, Where do you get the ceder?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 25, 2022, 05:24:20 PM
Bruno, Where do you get the ceder?
I got it from the wholesale company that I sell kd pine patterns for.
They have lots of it with more on the way

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

Peter 
Yes lots of them , I Sawing pine , hemlock and Poplar lately. 
Reclaimed long leaf pine beams on Wednesday from one of the old mills in Claremont. The developer is using them for counter tops in the high end apartments. 

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

mart

Knocked out a couple from full two inch spruce for our raised bed garden. Our ground is essentially a couple inches of sod and soil over an unknown number of feet of rocks so tilling it and doing a garden is not an option.

Etta got one painted yesterday. I'll line the inside with pool liner or ice and water shield. We order prepared soil from a local organic compost place.

I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Bruno of NH

Quote from: mart on April 28, 2022, 12:32:41 PM
Knocked out a couple from full two inch spruce for our raised bed garden. Our ground is essentially a couple inches of sod and soil over an unknown number of feet of rocks so tilling it and doing a garden is not an option.

Etta got one painted yesterday. I'll line the inside with pool liner or ice and water shield. We order prepared soil from a local organic compost place.

They look great 

Stephen1

I like the cedar but we are still building ours out of pine. I copied your idea 3 years ago. We only sell as kits, screws, instructions and boards cut to length.  We made and sold 45 this year. Great cash flo at the the start of the sawing season. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

hersnsh#590

Question for mart.  How do you move them and get them into your enclosure?

Good looking structures and a good idea on the snow and ice liner.

Dale
TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, new to us JD 5065e, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, a Can-Am 580 on tracks, and a very understanding wife.

Thank You Sponsors!