iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loosening blade tension when saw not in use

Started by alecs, May 10, 2022, 05:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alecs

I am the owner of a new Woodland Mills HM130.  In the manual, it says you should let off the blade tension when the saw is not in use to avoid flat spots in the belts (tires) that the blade rides on.  Maybe this is a silly question, but what are your opinions on how long of a time qualifies as "not in use"?

Obviously you are not going to loosen the tension between cuts or between logs in a given cutting session.  But do you loosen the tension when you are done for the day if you are going to saw the next day?  Or only if you are not going to use the the saw for weeks at a time?  

I have an old Ford truck with bias ply tires and it gets flat spots when it sits for a while.  But after a mile or two of driving, they go away.  Is this the same thing with the mill?  Or does it permanently ruin the belts?

Just trying to figure out how hard I have to try to develop this habit!

Thanks

TroyC

I loosen mine if I stop for lunch. Only takes 10-15 seconds. Just remember to tighten before sawing again. Definitely loosen overnight.

Oddman

Personally if I shut the engine off then I generally loosen the band. Maybe not every time but pretty close. A band that is warm from sawing will shrink slightly while cooling and theoretically tighten up as a result, which is hard on the band, the belts, and the bearings of the mill. Can't remember if I read that on the forum here or in my owners manual but it makes sense to me.

Old Greenhorn

End of the day is fine. It's not just the wheels, it the blade too. No need to keep it under that much tension while just sitting. It's part of my end of day shut down. Log stops full up, clamp fully retracted, lube tank off, blade tension off, blow off the mill bed, oil the chains and mill rails, fill out my tally sheet.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

I'm with Troy and Tom. I try to loosen it any time I don't plan to run it within the next 30 minutes or so but for me it is simply flipping a handle. I confess I forgot and left it under tension recently for over a week.

I used to remove the blade at the end of the day but recently I started leaving the blade on here at home because I often need to run make just a cut or two. I do not leave the blade on at a customer site unless I am there so if I leave the mill overnight the blade comes home with me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

I always loosened the blade tension when we broke for lunch.

At the end of the day, I always REMOVED the blade, if the band is left on the mill more than a couple hours, it will develop stains wherever it contacts the bandwheels or the rollers.

I used to go through three bands on an average day, and all three got reset and resharpened.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

RAYAR

Release tension when done for the day or if there's going to be a good length of time of not sawing during the day.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Larry

I let tension off at the end of the day just because the blade is dull and needs to be sharpened.

In realty I don't think it matters.  I have four shop bandsaws and never take the tension off of them.  One is a 1947 model so I bet the tension has been on it for 74 years now.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Peter Drouin

At the end of the day too. But like what Larry said is true too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ladylake

I loosen mine when it's time to change a band.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

moodnacreek

If you ever go into a band sawmill that is not sawing the top wheel is dropped.

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on May 10, 2022, 08:39:07 PM
I always loosened the blade tension when we broke for lunch.

At the end of the day, I always REMOVED the blade, if the band is left on the mill more than a couple hours, it will develop stains wherever it contacts the bandwheels or the rollers.
I am 100% with Chuck.  Loosen at lunch time and removed at the end of the sawing day. 
I also use the leaf blower at the end of the sawing day.  There is no substitute for proper maintenance and good housekeeping. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

I always mean to de-tension at the end of each day with my sawmill and my 17" bandsaw.  I often forget and leave the bandsaw tensioned for long periods of time.  Only once have I forgotten to de-tension the sawmill.  Of course I had no ill effects with either one.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

alecs

Thanks for the feedback.  I went out and loosened the band last night after reading the replies!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 11, 2022, 07:38:00 AM
I always mean to de-tension at the end of each day with my sawmill and my 17" bandsaw.  I often forget and leave the bandsaw tensioned for long periods of time.  Only once have I forgotten to de-tension the sawmill.  Of course I had no ill effects with either one.
I student showed me a simple trick to remember to tension your bandsaw blade on a shop bandsaw. She made a note on a piece of cardboard that said: "tension blade before starting". And she put a slice in it so that it fit around the bandsaw blade on the table.
You had to move the note in order to use the saw to cut anything. So, you would tension the blade, cut your piece, and then loosen the blade and replace the note.
It worked for me.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

I hang my leather apron on the tension knob at lunch time. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, turning on the saw with the blade not under tension is a bad idea.  Don't ask me how I know that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

I'm sure glad I never tried to do anything like that. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kelLOGg

I could say that I have never done that either but there are those that would know I am lying. Once I was swapping out bands and explaining to curious onlookers about the sawing process, etc., and started the engine before tensioning - they got to watch it again. I told them I did that so they would know not to do it that way. ::)
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on May 11, 2022, 01:33:49 PM
I hang my leather apron on the tension knob at lunch time.  

My "de-tensioned" blade tension knob/screw while I ate lunch today.  :)

Stephen1

I will drop the tension at night. At home I will leave the blade on, but travelling I take the blade off to come home. 
MM I always like to have a log loaded for when I come back from lunch also!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

Yes, ready to go.  I seldom leave a log on the sawmill at night but I do like to have one at the loader and ready to go like I have right now.  ;D

caveman

Quote from: Magicman on May 11, 2022, 01:33:49 PMI hang my leather apron on the tension knob at lunch time. 
I hang my ear muffs on the tensioner when it is loose.  I don't have a leather apron...yet.
Caveman

Mountain_d

I have noticed on my LT40 that the blade tension gauge will increase as the blade cools down so I loosen my tension if I shut down for 20 or 30 minutes. I think I read somewhere that higher pressure could cause a failure of seals for the hydralic tensioning mechanism. I guess that tensioner crank handle is a manual operated hydralic system. Mountain. 
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Magicman

That warning and recommendation is in the Wood-Mizer Operating Manual.  :P

Thank You Sponsors!