iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Appalachian trail?

Started by moosehunter, May 16, 2022, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

Anyone live near the trail? My little sister is hiking it this summer. She started in Georgia. Past the 300 mile point last week.
I would like to spend a day or two hiking with her in northern pa, NY or Connecticut.
Anyone in those areas that can give advice?
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Don P

Can't help you further north, I've never been above VA. Mt Rogers, just north of the NC/VA line is the far end of my county and we can be from Grandfather to the Shenandoah's in a half day if anything comes up. 

Sod saw

Having lived for a few years in northern Vermont and Hew Hampshire, I can vote for trails that are above the tree line.  

There are clubs that can provide maps of their local trails.  will she be attempting to do the whole trail in one summer?

Most mountains that are above tree line will dip down to trees between mountain tops to give you a place to rest at night, that is some what protected.

One of my most memorable experiences was watching the sun set from mountain tops then walking down after sun set.  Most times (places) you could reach trees and worn trails before it got really dark.  If you have a worn trail to follow, you don't need a flash light to be able to stay on the trailer as you can feel it with your feet.

Spending some time with your sister will be special.  Vermont is not too far for you to drive to.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

kantuckid

Using AT online maps you can peg some spots of logical access easy for you to use. The logistics of matching where she is at a certain time is greatly enhanced by cell phones in todays world! 
You might want to search out something like "most liked AT sections" "in a certain state" for one thought. Lots of day hike sections and I've been on many of them, most all were further south than you mention. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

John Mc

The Inn at Long Trail near Killington,VT is a popular place. Good food, nice lodging, very accommodating to hikers. The Inn will accept and hold resupply packages for hikers at no charge, they have a coin-operated laundry which hikers are welcome to use. Hikers can often get rooms without a reservation mid-week (first-come, first served), reservations will probably be needed for a weekend.

Hikers often stay there for a break from the trail, or meet up with friends who are hiking along with them for part of the way.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

chep

The a.t. crosses from vt to nh not far from my place. Ive picked up friends hiking it before.  The nh section is rugged and rocky but really beautiful.  If hanover nh is where you end up meeting let me know you can def stay here. Maybe even get a hot shower and good meal

moosehunter

Thanks all, it will be a long time before she gets to the area so I have lots of time to think about this. She passed 500 miles this week. 
I appreciate the responses.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Don P

She must have just passed Damascus, VA, out of the high country. Beautiful weather today and tomorrow.

Thank You Sponsors!