iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beer Adventures

Started by Ianab, July 11, 2022, 05:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Recently come to the conclusion that I'm becoming a craft beer snob  :D

Lil got me a gift pack for my birthday, 12 different brews with a theme that has only a coincidental resemblance to a certain long running cartoon TV show.  ;)

And yes each beer is a completely different one.

Last night was "That's Umpossible"  English IPA. Probably more like the original, with the heavier English malts, heavily hopped and higher strength (to keep in the warmer climates).  

Tonight we have "Mono-Pale"  Single malt, single hop, pale ale. Just a nice simple beer.

Got another 10 days in a town that's not called "Springfield"   8) "Duff Beer" is trademarked, so there isn't one of them.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kantuckid

I am a Walmart beer snob, albeit I like Mexican beers, some they sell, some they don't. Especial in both types amber and regular, Dos XX's in both types and Pacifico when I can get it. Corona I don't like. Indio I like but hard to find here. Domestics-Michelob and their Cactus Lime beer. 
In Kansas I played pitch cards for nickels at a Pearl beer on tap hangout called "The Park Inn Elixir". Haven't seen it since? 
 Craft beers-I've had a very few and liked some not all. Meds dictate that I am a one beer guy, so hot afternoons it's my one pleasure after a nice shower or reserved for pizza nites. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Raider Bill

I'm a IPA snob.
Generally you'll find 6 or so different kinds in my beer box.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sawguy21

I enjoy a cold beer (or two) on a warm afternoon as long as it's not a Lite. Don't water mine down >:( Some of the names are funny, we have a nice ale called Sneaky Weasel, but I have seen a few that might get censored on the forum. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

moosehunter

Last weekend at the end of my saw job I was offered a Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA.
Very tasty, but at 9%abv one is plenty!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Raider Bill

Those imperials are strong. Some local breweries have then in the 12-15% range and serve them in brandy sniffers glasses.. very sofiticated lol

Ianab

One of the Behemoth "specials" I've tried is a triple hopped IPA at 12%. It's actually OK as they were able to keep the balance between the hops and malt OK. But it came in a 440ml can, one was plenty  :D

This pack is more sensible strengths, 5 - 8% range
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

the 'brandy snifters" are only 9 oz. so I think it protects us from ourselves. i have had a triple IPA in that alcohol range and some other that was aged in a whiskey barrel, then a port wine barrel.  way too complex and alcoholic for me.  even my buddy Jim had to soften it up by diluting it down with a coffee stout.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Tonight we have "Woah That;s Good Squishee" - Ridiculously Fruited Sour Ale. 

Peach and Passionfruit, very tropical. Different for a beer, but it gets the Lil seal of approval as she's quite into various flavoured ciders, and it's that sort of flavour.

Cruddy weather today, so I built my new Lego - the Goat Boat.   8)

Needed something to refresh the brain after battling hundreds of little chinks of plastic :D

K-Guy

I guess it's my German heritage but I'm not a fan of IPA's, I'll stick to lagers. Two of the best I ever had are from Germany, a company called Dortmunder makes an excellent medium dark one and I had another called Kellerbeire that was just as good. My normal brew is a Molson Canadian or Labatt's Blue.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Texas Ranger

Back in the day it was Lowenbrau double bock, or, really anything.  Now Shiner bock or Dos Equis dark.

does
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

12% :o Sure don't want many of those at one sitting. Anything here over 8% has to be marketed as a wine, we see stouts at 7.5 but I have found only one, a local, that I actually like.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

The other end of the IPA spectrum are the session style. Good hoppy taste with low ABC.
I try to keep Founders All Day session IPA in stock.

A local Favorite is Cigar City Jai Alai "which used to be a sport in Florida until it was exposed as fixed"

Nice and hoppy with 7.5%

It's a great time to be a beer drinker with all these craft breweries popping up giving us many choices.

Funny thing about IPA's is that once you catch the hop taste, lager, pilsners, and  island beers just don't taste right again.

Ianab

Cloudy PA is the latest beer fashion trend here.  Even the mainstream breweries are getting on on the act.   It's a hazy beer, hopped for "fruit" flavours rather than bitterness, and around the normal 5% mark. 

Mac's was one of the first independent breweries to set up in the early 80s when the NZ market was basically just 2 big breweries. They eventually got bought out by   Lion (who make Steinlager etc) . After the "non-compete" on the sale ran out, the family re-opened a "new" brewery under a different name.  ;)

So now we have "Mac's" beer made by Lion, and "Stoke" range, made by the McCashin family

Ianab

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 12, 2022, 12:10:44 PMThe other end of the IPA spectrum are the session style. Good hoppy taste with low ABC.

And as it so happens, tonight we have a Session IPA. "You Don't Win Friends With Salad" 
Very hoppy, but only a regular 4.9%.   

Like I said there is 12 completely different beers in the box. Some I'd look out for again, other are just OK,  interesting to try, but might not make the shopping list.  

kantuckid

Funny how beer tastes change. back when younger many beers in Kansas where 3.2% was the law in a bar the only strong beers were sold in liquor stores. Some states up in the beer areas of the north had on/off sales based on the license or day of the week. In KS Coors, then sold only west from KS, not in MO and eastward, was a popular bar beer on tap but my crowd called it Girly beer and another name not said here. At the brewery in Golden, CO I liked it as I guess it was fresher, plus free with the tour which we did every trip into the eastern Rockies. ;D
Some cheap beers in KS then were premium beers in another state. Ending in about the 1960's, the many small town breweries in MN & WI all closed. I always stopped for Moosehead tour on a fishing trip. Back then the STL big breweries Bud & Michelob had tours that gave free beer. Popular with Ft Leonard Wood soldiers.
The Germans trained the Mexicans on brewing and then there was the French & Spanish both on winemaking.
When I worked in grocery stores in KS we sold many cases of Blue Ribbon malt weekly to our older customers (old European immigrant families from various Euro countries) who brewed at home-long before home brewing and wine making became more common in the early 1970's through to now.  

Jeff

Yesterday, when opening the cabin fridge door, I had two cans of Busch light roll out of their cardboard container. I was able to catch one just above the floor as I pinned the other one against a bag of clemintines. I drank both of them for trying to escape.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

Quote from: Ianab on July 12, 2022, 07:26:42 PM
Cloudy PA is the latest beer fashion trend here.  Even the mainstream breweries are getting on on the act.   It's a hazy beer, hopped for "fruit" flavours rather than bitterness, and around the normal 5% mark.

Mac's was one of the first independent breweries to set up in the early 80s when the NZ market was basically just 2 big breweries. They eventually got bought out by   Lion (who make Steinlager etc) . After the "non-compete" on the sale ran out, the family re-opened a "new" brewery under a different name.  ;)

So now we have "Mac's" beer made by Lion, and "Stoke" range, made by the McCashin family
I like Sierra Nevada "Hazy little thing"
For my 60th birthday my friends got me 60 cans of different cans of IPA's.

Ianab

Quote from: Jeff on July 13, 2022, 10:45:59 AMI drank both of them for trying to escape.

A fitting end for an escape attempt like that. :D

Tonight we have "I Was Saying Boo-Urns" a pretty standard IPA @ 6.3%. This one goes on the "would buy again" list :)

kantuckid

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 13, 2022, 11:34:12 AM
Quote from: Ianab on July 12, 2022, 07:26:42 PM
Cloudy PA is the latest beer fashion trend here.  Even the mainstream breweries are getting on on the act.   It's a hazy beer, hopped for "fruit" flavours rather than bitterness, and around the normal 5% mark.

Mac's was one of the first independent breweries to set up in the early 80s when the NZ market was basically just 2 big breweries. They eventually got bought out by   Lion (who make Steinlager etc) . After the "non-compete" on the sale ran out, the family re-opened a "new" brewery under a different name.  ;)

I like Sierra Nevada "Hazy little thing"
For my 60th birthday my friends got me 60 cans of different cans of IPA's.
A "few years ago" I bought my Kansas cousin a 6-pack of Billy beer for his BD. How many here remember Billy Carter's namesake beer? 
Last night we had pizza nite at home and I enjoyed a Modelo Es'pecial Amber, one of my favorite beers! 
Michael Connely the popular author of the Harry Bosch novels/TV series, has Harry sitting on his LAX hillside homes porch balcony view of the city below, while tearing off Es"pecial beer bottles gold foil and rolling it into little balls then dropping them in the moonlight. How's that for a beer drinkers authors twist on a cold beer... :D 

Raider Bill

I've got a 6 pack of billy beer.

Ian, you all calling it "cloudy" beer cracked me up.
Here it's called "hazy" style.

Andries

'Cloudy' or 'hazy' . . . that might just be 'all weather' beer. 🤤
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ianab

More in line with our current weather... 

"My Fair Laddy", Scotch Ale. Some darker smoked malt in the mix. A good winter ale.  Lil's not a fan of darker beers, but it gets a pass mark from me. 1/2 way between a Stout and an Ale. 

Raider Bill

I had a couple pints of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra last night. Pretty tasty. Went with braised short ribs nicely.

Thank You Sponsors!