iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smokey Beef Stew

Started by Downstream, February 26, 2023, 09:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

i tried something new on the smoker today.  Put a couple of lbs of stew meat on the smoker for a few hours to give it flavor/color and then dumped it into a stew pot with a bunch of veggies from our garden(green beans, peas, carrots, onions,potatoes and corn).  Added the spices and some red wine and a a few hours of simmering later a nice batch of stew was ready to go.  I toasted some sourdough bread and poured the stew over the top because I did not have any biscuits.  turned out pretty well and now I'm set for the week while my wife is out of town.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Walnut Beast

Ianab

I'm a fan of slow cooker crock pots. Some smoked meat would work great in one of those, as you say, just add some seasonal veges and some spices and good things happen. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

I couldn't be without my slow cooker. Coming home to the smell of stew on a cold day can't be beat. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

I love the slow cooker, just throw ingredients in and walk away, and good things happen. There's not many things in life where you can be so inattentive and yet have an excellent outcome.
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

Make up venison non-roast size parts into 1" cubes. Freeze in one pound packages. Then drop a pkg and a can of mushroom soup into the crockpot for a great meal (or two). Add potatoes and carrots to suit. In fact, now I are hungry for some.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Crossroads

That looks good! I like to build a drew in the cast iron Dutch oven and put it on the wood stove in the morning, when I get home in the evening, dinner is ready. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

newoodguy78

I like the slow cooker or Dutch oven on the wood stove. Coming in at night to the smell of a good meal already cooked is tough to beat. 

Downstream

Here is a follow-up topic related to this stew.  I originally wanted to buy a cast iron dutch oven to make the entire stew on the smoker(+ over/under chilli), but was cautioned by other friends that slow cooking things like stew or chili in cast iron can cause problems with your pot/seasoning because of the acidic solution.  Also could cause a metallic taste in the food.  Does anyone else have good/bad experiences with cast iron used in this fashion?  I was going to buy an enameled cast iron dutch oven but it also has other issues related to durability/lack of direct fire contact. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Thank You Sponsors!