iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold killed Oak leaves

Started by Magicman, March 23, 2023, 08:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I'll be ready for these to make because I finished off last year's berries in my morning cereal.  Mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.  ;D

Sadly we lost our neighbor in a tragic accident that always invited us to pick his Blueberry bushes a couple of times each year.  RIP Phillip.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

I was under the hickory I mentioned earlier that got bit and got a pic of the frost damage. This is a yard tree, the woods trees seem to have done much better. I don't think we were woke up as much as MM when that snap happened on the heels of a warm week.

RetiredTech

We're getting a few blueberries now, but nothing like we usually get. It's going to be slim pickings this year.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Magicman

I voiced my concerns back in March when we had an unexpected late freeze that killed most of the leaves, especially on White and Post Oak trees.  Couple that with the fact that we have not had measurable rainfall since May, and yup, we have an alarming number of Oak trees that are solid brown with dead leaves.  These trees are standing dead.  We are also experiencing an outbreak of Pine Beetles so in addition to the Oak, we also have dead SYP trees.  :-X

We made a 150 mile round trip today and the highway is lined with brown trees.  :o

Tighten your suspenders guys because portable sawmilling here will be record breaking for at least the next couple of years.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

We made a 60 mile round trip this afternoon and it is very seldom that I was not in sight of dead trees.

I am seeing no acorns on any of the Oaks and the Beech is dropping empty pods.  Nothing inside but a brown dried up seed.  Looks like it's gonna be a lean crop for the animals.

RetiredTech

We set up my grandsons box stand in the woods this past weekend. There are a lot of dead standing pines. That's not good. We just had the pines thinned late last year. Our hardwoods seem to be surviving. I didn't think to look for nuts on the trees. However the Pecan trees haven't produced much in the last few years and the old one are really struggling. Hardly a week goes by that theres not a big oak limb in the road somewhere. I think the stress of the drought and extreme temps has been hard on all the trees. It's looked like fall around here for a couple months. Everytime the wind would blow the leaves fly off the trees.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Thank You Sponsors!