iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Doe and Fawn

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 28, 2023, 05:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

It has been a dreary rainy day so I was sitting on the couch watching TV and reading the FF. I looked out to the woodline by the old bathtub I use to water my horse. I spotted an old doe standing behind the tub and got to watching her looking behind her and in a minute or two a very young fawn stumbled through the tall grass, came over and nursed. I called my wife to come watch and grabbed my camera. They walked up into the woods but turned around and came down closer so I took several more pictures out the window. At one point the little guy tripped and fell and laid there a few seconds then got up and went back to mom and nursed again. I saw the old doe 2 days ago when she came out after I had been in the area and I figured she had a fawn parked nearby.

The were 40-50 yards away most of the time I took these pictures. Just another reason we love living in the country. You never know what you will see at any given time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

About 10-15 minutes later I looked out and saw 2 adult deer in the same area.

They are both healthy does but I think the lower one is possibly last years yearling. The doe on top is very fat with a bulging belly and looks to be pregnant. She could still have not delivered her fawn(s) yet. The fawn in the picture above could have been a newborn as he stumbled and fell at one point. Deer in WV have their fawns in May and June for the most part.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

The doe and fawn came back out just above the house at 7:45 pm just before dark. I am surprised the fawn that young is following her mom around this much instead of her parking it in a nursery somewhere. Usually they are much older before they start walking around much. 
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

The two of them (Mother and fawn) are walking past the house a couple of times every day. I am still amazed the fawn that small is following her around that much. Maybe it is a new mom and she does not know she is supposed to park the fawn in a secluded spot and just come visit it a couple of times a day.

The other deer are also routinely coming to visit. None seem happy to see Sampson so he better be careful walking around in the pasture or he will find himself getting "hoofed" to death. ::)
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Neighbors came up today and told me there was a hurt fawn in the lot next door. so I went over to check and found a pretty good sized fawn that appeared to have a broken back. I assume it was hit by a car and crawled that far. I went ahead and put it down but it sure is hard to see a beautiful little animal like that get hurt. I hope it was not the same one in the picture above. We have been seeing it and the doe every day. I guess if we don't see it in a day or so we will know it was, :(
Howard Green

Wlmedley

Cutting some wood yesterday and saw this one.They hide pretty good.Mother came and got it about dark.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Chuck White

Ya they do, Bill!

Took me a minute, but I finally found the little spotted critter!

Nice pic!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

A few minutes after watching a hen turkey with a bunch of bobwhite sized chicks feeding above the house we watched a couple of does come through then up into the woods and finally a doe and fawn came out. They laid down in the tall grass for a good 5 minutes then got up and moseyed off into the woods too. I assume it is the same fawn on my first pictures  so apparently the one I had to put down last week across the creek was a different one. I suspect one or both of the first does coming out had a fawn/fawns parked nearby.

Its a great time for wildlife watching out the LR window around here.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!