iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No fuel level

Started by tmelch, November 20, 2023, 10:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmelch

I have about 15 hours on my LT35 and loving it, but I can't see the fuel level because the tank is solid red, it's not translucent like I see on older 35s. Called WM and they said it's government compliance and they don't have a solution. Any idea where I can get a tank that works so I don't have to climb up to look in the tank!??

sawguy21

Welcome to the scrum! 8) Make a dip rod from hardwood and paint graduations such as 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 on it using measurements from the tank for spacing. Be sure it's clean before dipping the tank.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

trapper

Boat tank with gauge in fill cap
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Digger Don

The tank on our TK B-20 is too high to see as well. I usually just lift one end of the tank. (Gravity is the only fastener.) If it's heavy, it's full. If it's light, it's time to make it heavy, again. I still need the ladder, though, for the refill.
Timberking B20, Magnatrac 5000, Case 36B mini excavator

SawyerTed

Moeller marine makes red boat gas tanks.  

Those tanks have a mechanical fuel gauge.  Moeller sells replacement gauges.

It might be possible to either substitute a tank with a gauge OR retrofit your existing tank.  

A mirror might save the climbing?
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

sawguy21

tmelch

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 20, 2023, 11:26:36 AM
Welcome to the scrum! 8) Make a dip rod from hardwood and paint graduations such as 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 on it using measurements from the tank for spacing. Be sure it's clean before dipping the tank.
Not a bad idea if I put the saw head way down, until I lose the stick! :D

tmelch

Quote from: Digger Don on November 20, 2023, 12:45:24 PM
The tank on our TK B-20 is too high to see as well. I usually just lift one end of the tank. (Gravity is the only fastener.) If it's heavy, it's full. If it's light, it's time to make it heavy, again. I still need the ladder, though, for the refill.
The tank is totally enclosed with sheet metal, can't budge an inch. Maybe I can remove the top piece and this would work great, and it's free. 

sawguy21

Unless the outboard tank has a sight line on the side it won't be of much value without a mirror or a ladder.

SawyerTed

On my LT 35, if I lowered the head at the front of the mill, I could see in the tank without climbing.  The filler neck was chest high.  

That's the position I used for the head to add gas to the tank. 

Um use a longer stick.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Maine Miller

Gotta love our Government....seems kinda dumb to mandate a red tank when it is not removable. Does that mean motor vehicle fuel tanks need to be red as well?

MattM

I run a lt35 and the only time I check the fuel level is before a job to verify that the tanks full. Ive never had the tank run dry even after 8-9 hours milling. I do think they should've had a clear strip in the tank where the cutout is on the metal case though.

I had my mill replaced under warranty by WM a few days ago and while I was picking up the new one the dealer told me that once the current tanks are all gone WM is replacing them with something else. So maybe they have the gas level visible on the new tanks.
LT35HDG25

DennisK

Tee into the outlet fitting and install a clear fuel safe hose w/vent at the top. Mount the hose vertical to the the tank.

MattM

All the lines on the lt35 come out the top of the tank so that setup wouldnt work without some major fooling around. Like someone else said, the head lowers down enough that you can look into the tank. I'm 6'4 and when I fill my tank or look in it I usually just step up onto the mill frame.... For people not so steady on their feet you could get some of that skateboard grip tape and put it on a certain part of the frame so that you won't slip  :)
LT35HDG25

beenthere

Maybe use an hour meter to track the fuel usage for a short spell, then you'll have a pretty good idea when fuel is needed. 

Reminds me of my high school days when we had the 2-cyl John Deere tractors that we fueled with 5 gal metal gas cans. The fill cap was a bit above my eye level so climbing up was necessary to check. 
Filling was hoisting the 5 gal can up overhead and tipping real fast to get most of the fuel going into the tank. Always some spillage unless bothering to fetch a big funnel and then climbing up onto the tractor to pour into the funnel. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Use two elbows and fuel safe tubing and you can fairly easily build a sight tube/gauge like Wood-Mizer uses on this bearing housing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I run my tank on my LT35 dry 1-2 times a year and only when I am at a customer site with excellent help and steady running of the mill - no pauses required to load a log or remove finished boards. 

I think I normally get about 7-8 engine hours out of my 5 gallon tank. I always start a customer job with a full tank. I also always record the start and end hours for my history so if I were smart I'd top up my tank after ever 5 hours of running time then I would never run out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

I was thinking the same thing as MM, a lot less hassle in the long run!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerTed

Magicman's photo is the same principle of a sight glass.   There are inexpensive sight glasses (plastic) available but also require a retrofit of an existing tank.  

Some sight glasses have both a top and bottom connection to the tank.

Southside

For the effort involved to modify the tank holder, then the tank, and get a leak proof result it would probably be a lot easier to discipline yourself to top the tank off at the beginning of the day and at lunch.  Just saying.  Using a stick to dip the tank - you will get debris into the tank that way, ask me how I know.  

It's easy on my 70 to run it out of fuel as you never get close to the tank due to the remote and it's dark yellow with a coating of sawdust, so I just put a note on the control box to check the fuel twice a day and after a short bit it became routine.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

mine has a fuel indicator in the corner of the 5-gallon plastic tank.  can prob. be added.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

fluidpowerpro

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Big_eddy

WV Sawmiller

You're going to a lot of trouble rather than starting full and just topping off the tank at lunch.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!