iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preheating mill engine oil?

Started by Brad_bb, November 25, 2023, 11:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

So  this is my second year in my new mill shop with my LT15go.  It's not heated.  I'm thinking maybe I should be preheating my mill engine/oil before I start it up to reduce wear.  

Any thoughts? 

I've got a small propane torpedo heater.  Can't get something like that too close though as I melted my lube lines a few years ago when I had to mill something outside in single digit weather and use a Torpedo too close.  
I've also got an electrical outlet right next to the mill engine.  I saw on Amazon what looks like and stick on oil pan heater.  I have no experience with how warm it gets or how long it takes.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

barbender

Hmm. I think for your purposes a lot of the options out there cause more of a fire hazard than any benefit of less wear. 

There are dipstick heaters, but those are typically intended for automotive use, sith a longer stick and deeper oil pan. Probably wouldn't be good to have part of the element not immersed in oil. 

There are also varying sizes of adhesive silicon heating pads, if you could find one that would fit on your oil pan. 

I have one of the magnetic pan heaters that I stick on the hydraulic tank of my firewood processor. That works good but you likely have an aluminum block on your small gas engine. 

Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

What engine oil are you using? For example the little Honda engines suggest that 10W-30 is fine between 0 and 80F. In the tropics they recommend 20W-40 for temps 15F to 100+ etc. Or you can cover any scenario with 10W-50 grade. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

I use the magnetic ones on my hydraulic tank.  Just have to remember to unplug and remove before I send the gantry down the track.  It will auto eject if I forget.  you can also go with low viscosity in the winter, but at engine temp. it will be like summer, so the multi-viscosity oil makes sense.  you can start it and let it run for ten minutes before you rev it all the way up.  I have left the magnetic one on the hydro tank and the whole thing feels warm, but not hot.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Digger Don

I don't claim to have any expertise, but I agree with Doc. Start it and let it idle for a few minutes. I tend to think five minutes would be enough, though. 
Timberking B20, Magnatrac 5000, Case 36B mini excavator

Percy

In winter here it can get colder than a bankers heart. I propped up a cheap heat gun, basically a hair dryer on steroids, at the oil pans and went for a coffee. Worked awesome for me. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

doc henderson

I use Katz products.  I could put a silicone pad style heater on my aluminum block engine, but I would prob. put it on the flat bottom and reinstall the engine.  they can preheat a battery as well, but pretty soon if it is that cold, I would just go back in the shop and feed the fire.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

scsmith42

Brad, I use a magnetic mount oil pan heater on one of the cranes.  It works great.

The crane originally had an in-line electric convection heater installed in one of the heater hoses, but when it went bad I stuck the magnetic one on there as a "quick fix" which ended up becoming permanent.

My Baker mill has a block heater in the engine block, and it gets used religiously during the colder months.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

OH_Varmntr

They work well.  Find one that is thermostatically controlled and it will self-regulate.  

Katz makes a magnetic one that is.

They also make thermostatic outlets called Thermocubes that will only power the heater below a certain ambient temperature.

thecfarm

I use a magnetic heater on my wood splitter. I throw an old piece of carpet to keep the heat in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!