iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling on the LT35HD

Started by DanMc, September 22, 2023, 10:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Probably for another thread, but some of those Baptist jokes I've heard are pretty rich😊 Disclaimer- I spent years in churches that were "Baptist" except in name.

I heard one comedian say that, "I was taken my Baptist buddy out fishin' with me, but he kept drinkin' all of my beer! Then we brought another Baptist with- neither of them would touch the stuff!🤷"😂
Too many irons in the fire

DanMc

You guys are hounds.  Fine.

On Thursday morning, I'm going over there and we will restack his wood.  

You'll get a new pic of the result.
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Andries

Good recovery DanMc.
There will be nice, straight lumber coming out of that days work - and there'll be some beer left in the fridge if you bring two Baptists with you. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

terrifictimbersllc

Probably should keep width of stack to 4 ft or less too.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

barbender

I'll be the odd man out- I'd explain what will happen if it isn't stacked properly, and leave it at that. 

Tell them that the stickers need to be aligned straighter than two Baptists with a 6 pack.

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Messiah. Lutherans don't recognize the Pope as the head of the church. And Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store😁
Too many irons in the fire

KenMac

All of this talk about Baptists and no one has even mentioned fried chicken yet. What's wrong with y'all?
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Magicman

I am a Baptist and I have not had fried chicken since yesterday.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanMc

I promised an update on the lumber restacking.   Thursday was rainy, so nothing happened and we're all booked up for now.  The restack will happen some time in the next few weeks.  
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

chickenchaser

To reaffirm what others have already stated-if you can clamp it, you can saw it. 
However...I've found that anything 8' and above really makes life easier. Wrestling a log around that keeps wanting to creep off the bunks when you fine adjust or turn it can be frustrating. Even better is to make sure the logs are long enough to facilitate using the toe boards. 
I've sawed plenty of 7' junky stuff just because I wouldn't say no. 
But I've been paid satisfactory for doing so. And I get to make sawdust!
Fun learning. 
CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Magicman

Anything less than 8' is either scaled as 8' or hourly rate.  My option.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanMc

As promised, my buddy's lumber has been restacked.  And best of all, he did this on his own.  I think it still needs a little support on the left side, but overall, I think he did a fine job.  

LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

SawyerTed

I see the cabinets having a much better chance now.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

DanMc

WV Sawmiller:  way back to the start of this thread, you asked me to speak up when certain things happen.
Here we go!
Yes I have cut wedges by forgetting about the toe board.
Yes I have hit metal.   On my last log, I was right down at the bed.  As I approached the log clamp, I was super close to hitting it.   I stopped, got really close, and confirmed that the blade would just barely clear the top of the clamp.  And it did clear the first half of the top.  But there's a slight incline in the top of my clamp, so I shaved off some of the weld on the trailing side.  The sparks were a clue that I just earned another badge.  
Skimming the log clamp would not have happened if I still had hydraulics by the clamp.   This limited access to hydraulic control is the biggest weakness of this mill.  I think I'll be working on adding a second battery. 
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

SawyerTed

Hey you've graduated!

Lightly polishing the top of the clamp is a much higher order skill than just cutting into the side!  Of course I don't have either skill!  :D

Can I sell you some ocean front property in Western North Carolina?

Absolutely, hydraulics anywhere can get you out of a bad situation!  I should have done it to my LT35, adding it to the LT50 this week.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Dan,

Have you cut the tip off the claw yet? Have you had the tongue up 10' in the air because you ran the head to the back before you dropped the landing gear when setting up at a new site? Have you rolled a log all the away across and off the mill because you forgot to put the side supports up? Have you crumpled your loader side fender because you activated the loader before you removed the fender?  :D :D :D

There are still lessons to be learned and remember - you can still periodically do a refresher lesson. ;) ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

It happens to the best and those of us who are the rest...

Apparently there's a fraction of an inch difference between the front stop and the back stop.  I found that fraction (it's like .080").

Took the set right out of the bottom teeth and the blade climbed out of the cut into the board above.   ::)

doc henderson

Ted, that looks like the old spirograph toy.  very festive, Merry Christmas.  Did you shout his name in the moment?  No need to answer.  Santa will know. :) :) :)   :christmas:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

Santa and I have an agreement.  I believe in him and he believes in me. :o

We get along but I have to buy my own presents.   :D :D

The atmosphere WAS blue for a minute!  Good thing we got some rain!  I could have set fire to a couple if things with what I said.   :D

Southside

Ted I am pretty sure there is metal in that board.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!