iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Difficult access, Big Log

Started by Firebass, February 23, 2007, 02:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebass

Maybe someone can help me with a problem.  Here in the Northwest we had some pretty bad wind damage.  We lost a Huge (well big) Douglas fir.  Its 42" at the butt and its one of those hill side grove Tallies.   I'm guessing a couple mbf of premium clear.  My problem is its in a fairly steep draw that has very difficult access.  For equipment,  I only have a 4x4 Rig (Jeep type). I can drive it down near the base but I have to winch it  back out.  The tree is laying at a 45 deg angle mixed in with other firs.  So do I cut it into fire wood and haul it out one piece at a time.  I could maybe get the lucas in there but it would be very hard to find a flat enough spot to set it up.  Any Ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve :-\

Ianab

Could be a job for a chainsaw mill, at least to break it down to sizes that a couple of guys can carry, then resaw the cants on a bandsaw.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fuzzybear

Do you still have snow on the ground??  If you do I would look into using a skidoo and a bunk sled.  My little skidoo is only a 340 and I can pull 20" x 15' spruce sections with no problem.  on a steep incline I would use a larger machine.   If no snow but still hard ground consider an atv with a logging arch or trailer. With either one you are no longer restricted on your access. if you have to skid it further down thru the draw to a better access it only costs you a little for gas and time.  I know there are a couple of places around you that you can rent these for a day or a week. or better yet get a buddy who has one to help you in exchange for some of the lumber. ;D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Ga_Boy

Call up Fresco Arborist Supply and order your self at least one and maybe two 3/4" bull lines a hand full for snatch blocks.

With this set up you can rig yourself a block and tackle system to pull that beast up and out or down and out. 

You may need a smaller block and tackle system to pull the larger system.  I have done this a few times back in my military days.  We had to beach a MK-48 torpeado by hand.  We had to get it up past the high tide mark.  It took 6 of us about 7 hours of rigging and pulling to get it done but we "GOT ER DONE"....

Below is the link to Fresco.

Fresco Arborist Link

Mark

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

WkndCutter

Cut the tree to the lengths you want and then use a chain saw to half or quarter the logs to sizes you can pull out with your truck.  A log arch would be handy.  Once out to a place you can saw have fun.

Kevin

snowman

A tree like that may be worth hiring a local with a tractor and a winch. Cut into 10 ft lenghts im sure he could pull it out.

stumpy

I can usualy get most any log I need to with my equipment.  I did have one log that I just couldn't get.  I called a local guy with a towing company and he came out with a wrecker and winched it close enough so he could boom it out the rest of the way.  I had to call three comapanies before I found one that could understand what I wanted.  He charged by the hour and was well worth it.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

kderby

I second the wrecker idea.  I just sold a mid-sized wrecker that I used to skid logs on a level ground timber sale.  Worked like a charm.  I had two drums of cable and it came with snatch blocks.

Another idea is find an available backhoe or trackhoe.  They can "reel" in the tree using multiple sets of the choker and chain.  Then they can load it for you as well.

For several thousand dollars worth of premium lumber, you can perhaps afford a three hundred dollar log retrieval charge.

Good luck the lumber should be delicious!!! :D :D :D

Rockn H

If you can drive down to the tree, but would have to winch your vehicle back out.  Do you have a winch?  Why not just cut the log to what lenghts you want and winch the logs out from up top?  If you are afraid of causing damage to the other trees you mentioned, you could use snatch blocks to redirect the pull.  In other words instead of pulling the log straight back to the winch, position pulleys off to one side or the other to manuever the log around any trees that might be in the way.  Bailey's used to sell snatch blocks just for this.  They were made so that when the log got to the block it would be tripped and would release the cable so the log could continue past the block.

Rockn H

I couldn't find the blocks I mentioned in Bailey's, but I did find where BAP Equipment sells them as deviation pulleys and Nova Jack sells them as corner blocks.  I hope this gives you some ideas.

logwalker

Steve, is this on property that you own or manage? The reason I ask is it might pay you to go ahead and invest in a rudimentary access road that will be very useful in the future for a variety of reasons. I have twenty acres of wooded hills and have been actively building roads for many years and it is really paying dividends lately. Especially after the windstorms of this last November. Joe

Edit: That tree will wait for you at least a year before it starts to degrade the heartwood.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum,firebass.I rolled a 50 inch white pine,10 feet long up a small hill once with the winch on the tractor.Had to block the log each time that I had to slip the chain down onto the log so it would not roll back down the hill.There were no other trees of any size in the way.If I was going to saw it on a sawmill I would cut it up with a chainsaw into something managable if I could not get it any other way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Robert Long

Barder!    Find someone that has a want for some fine boards in exchange for the delivery of your log to your mill.......A win, win for both of you 8)

Robert

woodbill2

Firebass, welcome to the forum. Where in the gorge are you? I'm probably not too far from you. I'm in Skamania County. I have a full-size GMC with a winch and would probably be willing  to  help you in exchange for some of the wood. Send me a PM if you are interested.  Bill
Rain doesn't get things wet, it makes them grow. So next time you get rained on, remember you're growing, not getting wet.

Firebass

Wow I didn't expect such a diversified response to my dilemma. And thanks for all the responses.  Even a offer to barter by woodbill2.  I think all these Ideas are workable and I had a rough Idea how I might get it out to start with but I love hearing other peoples perspectives on everything. Seems that there's always one or 2 you didn't think of.  Thanks for the welcome and I'll be back.

My wife and I drove down to Eugene Oregon today for the Northwest logging Convention.  I have been building a swing blade mill for my own personal use and I've never seen one in use.   I was totally impressed with the D&L 10" Swinger 180 degrees swing. and 30 HP
they're patented 180 degree swing mill cut lumber like it wasn't even there. 

Steve

Firebass

Quote from: woodbill2 on February 23, 2007, 11:06:23 PM
Firebass, welcome to the forum. Where in the gorge are you? I'm probably not too far from you. I'm in Skamania County. I have a full-size GMC with a winch and would probably be willing  to  help you in exchange for some of the wood. Send me a PM if you are interested.  Bill

Hey neighbor,  I'm here in Skamania.   Thanks for the offer but I think I can handle this one and I really need the wood for a cabin I building.  Want to see a interesting mill sometime stop by my shop.

Steve

snowman

I really like this old wrecker idea. If you had the right ground it could really work great and ill bet a guy could rig one to work as a little jammer.The whole thing reminds me of when I was a kid. The 1st outfit I worked for, Robinson Timber in Grass Valley Calif.He started in the 50s with a self loader and an old army half track.When I went to work for him in 72 he had 500 men in the woods. Those days are gone forever but it shows you what a man with drive can do.

D._Frederick

A tree that size could be worth 3 to 4 M for either as a turner or export so don't lay a chain saw on it till you know what to do. A skidder with a winch would be my choice to get it out. I had number of nice fir trees tipped over in the nineties, my neighbor told me about Woodland Management (503- 684 -4004), they did everything. Best money that I ever spent.

Thank You Sponsors!