iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Use of Ash for a Timber Frame House

Started by parkejo, November 01, 2007, 08:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkejo

I've done some research, which seems to indicate the White Ash is fairly acceptable for Timber Framing. I've read that green ash is more brittle, and lags in strength properties; according to chapter 4 of the physical and mechanical wood handbook. I guess that I am wondering if Green Ash is consider workable? I think I have a decent stand of White Ash, I'd like to use, however I am begining to wonder if I might have some green ash mixed in it. Any input would be appreciated.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum, parkejo! I have not worked any ash. I wonder how badly it will check when it dries.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

I would think white ash would be good to use. We have a lot of white ash around here, but mostly pole wood size because of past cutting. It regenerates quite well around here, so no shortage of future ash. I don't know if checking would be a problem, most of it is straight grained and very good working qualities. It's heavy and hard, real hard it seems when dry. The Wood Tech manual says it's accustomed to twisting when drying (I've seen some twisting in my boards, mostly stuff over 8 feet and 1"-2" stock), but more stable than white oak which tends to split and check as well as twist. White ash isn't rated too high for rot resistance, but doesn't spoil quick like birch.

Most traditional framing here used spruce, so I can't tell ya much else.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mad Professor

Quote from: parkejo on November 01, 2007, 08:46:20 PM
I've done some research, which seems to indicate the White Ash is fairly acceptable for Timber Framing. I've read that green ash is more brittle, and lags in strength properties; according to chapter 4 of the physical and mechanical wood handbook. I guess that I am wondering if Green Ash is consider workable? I think I have a decent stand of White Ash, I'd like to use, however I am begining to wonder if I might have some green ash mixed in it. Any input would be appreciated.

White ash is fine for framing, hews easily, strong, but has little resistance to rot.  Powder post bettles also seem to like it. It will check rapidly so end coat logs as soon as they are bucked with anchorseal.

I don't think early framers used it much (here in New england) as there was an abundance of other woods that had as good/better quailities (i.e. white oak, chestnut).

Thank You Sponsors!