iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

thanksgiving dinner

Started by Carries-Mom, November 21, 2007, 07:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carries-Mom

What is everyone cookin' for thanksgiving dinner???  It's great to hear all of the different ideas of their side dishes...We're having turkey, stuffing, some broccoli dish with cheese, ritz crackers, and just a touch of butter all baked up, dinner rolls, gravy, and pumpkin pie for dessert...and whatever else I can manage to cook up... food2 food6

Roxie

I put the same thing on my Thanksgiving table that my grandmother did:

Turkey
Stuffing (yes, IN the bird, and no one has ever died)
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Cole Slaw
Candied Sweet Potatoes
Corn (canned by me, fresh from the garden)
Cranberry Relish
Buttermilk Biscuits
Homemade Strawberry Jelly
From Scratch Cherry Pie (Cowboy Bob won't eat pumpkin)   ::)

I love to cook.   8)
Say when

submarinesailor

We always go over to my buddy's house for Thanksgiving and he knows how it cook:
Smoked Turkey
Ham
2 types of stuffing – oyster being one of them
Dirty mashed potatoes
Heavy noodles.
Turkey gravy for the potatoes and heavy noodles.
Home canned green beans.
Home canned lima beans.
Salad for my veggie daughters
Pie of some type – usually pumpkin or cherry
Ice cream

He does this for Christmas also and this is way I can't lose any weight over the holidays.

Bruce

Burlkraft

WOW.......What time is dinner Roxie  ???  ???  ??? :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

Ummm Ummmmm

We always go to my in laws place for Thanksgiving dinner. One year my MIL who is a great gal but a so so cook made roasted chicken. I never forgave her so now I bring the turkey myself. :D

Roasted turkey (we bought a fresh not frozen one this year)
Stuffing (some in the bird and some made separate because there's never enough otherwise)
Mashed Potatoes
Baked beans and weenies
Green Bean caserole
Turkey gravy
Salad
Pies of assorted types

Bruce I've never heard of heavy noodles can you tell me what they are? 

beenthere

We're havin the proverbial bird... smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_turkey_dancing
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Quote from: Burlkraft on November 21, 2007, 08:30:00 AM
WOW.......What time is dinner Roxie  ???  ???  ??? :D  :D  :D
I hear ya Steve.  :D Those meals sound great and you guys get to do it all over again in a month. I can taste those candied sweet potatoes from here. Mmmmm
Bruce, what are 'dirty' mashed potatoes? Do you leave the skin on?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paschale

I'm leaving today to help with the cooking.  I'm going to be brining a fresh turkey with apple cider and a bunch of herbs, and then we have the usual:  mashed taters, stuffing, in the bird and in a separate casserole, green bean casserole, homemade buns from my sis-in-law, salad and some pies.  I'm bringing a recipe I created for a contest--didn't win, but I still think it's tasty.

Thanksgiving Cake

2 1/2 cup All Purpose flour (separated use)
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt

1 stick butter, room temperature
1/2 cup oil 
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar 

1 15 oz. Can of prepared pumpkin
1/2 cup sour cream (121g)
1/2 cup maple syrup (100g)
2 Tbsp Frangelico liqueur
1 1/2 TBSP  Orange Zest (roughly the zest from two medium oranges)
1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
Three eggs
Three egg whites

1 1/2 cup dried Sweetened cranberries (Craisins)
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Maple/Frangelico Glaze

1/4 cup Maple Syrup
3 Tbsp Frangelico Liqueur
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar

Candied Pecans

2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup pecans

Preheat oven to 325º and spray classic bundt pan with Baker's Joy

Coarsely chop cranberries and pecans and set both aside.

Sift together 2 cups of flour, and the rest of the dry ingredients. 

Whisk together pumpkin, sour cream, maple syrup, Frangelico, Orange Zest, and Vanilla in a medium bowl and set aside.

With paddle attachment, cream butter on high until light and fluffy, about five minutes.  Add sugar and cream a few minutes longer.  Add eggs one at a time, scraping bowl after each addition.  Add oil in a gradual stream with mixer running.

Alternate additions of the pumpkin and flour mixtures, starting with the pumpkin first and ending with the dry ingredients.  Do this in three additions total.  Mix each time until just incorporated and no more, being sure to scrape the bowl before each addition, especially making sure the bottom is scraped.

Once the mixture is incorporated, pour the batter into another bowl, mixing a few times by hand to ensure that all the batter is mixed completely and thoroughly. 

Take remaining 1/2 cup of flour and add to cranberries and pecans.  Mix until all the cranberries and pecans are coated with flour.  Fold cranberries and pecans into the batter.  Pour batter into prepared bundt pan, spreading evenly with a spatula.  Bake for 55-65 minutes at 325º or until a tester comes out with a few crumbs attached.

Cool for ten minutes, then invert and finish cooling on cooling rack.

Make Candied Pecans

Melt butter and maple syrup on low.  Add cinnamon and brown sugar and turn heat to medium high.  Stir constantly.  When sugar mixture reaches a foamy boil, add pecans and continue stirring until pecans are covered completely.  Pour out onto baking sheet, separating pecans quickly.

Make Glaze:

Mix maple syrup and Frangelico together.  Stir in sifted powdered sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add more maple syrup or powdered sugar, as needed to reach desired consistency.

When cake is cool, drizzle glaze  liberally on cake. 

Place 1/2 cup of candied pecans in food processor.  Grind to a moderately fine texture.  Garnish top of cake with crumbled candied pecans, and if desired, place whole candied pecans around the cake.

Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Roxie

Say when

submarinesailor

Norm,

The way they make the heavy noodles is like any noodles.  They just don't roll them as thin, about ¼" thick, and cut them into 1" x 3" strips.  Boil them up until they are done and serve them with gravy on top.  They taste like a heavy dumpling - good.

Oh – and the bad news is that I'm now having Thanksgiving dinner with the outlaws, Oh I mean the in laws.  The better half informed me after I posted earlier - @#$%^&*@#$%^&*@#$%^&* and double @#$%^&*.

Bruce

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D :D :D You could ensure that you never get invited again. Of course you would then have to deal with yer missus. It may not be worth it.

Norm

Thanks Bruce and sorry to hear your change of plans.

My FIL who I never cared for much passed away this year. I'm going to be real careful when they go around the table asking what we're thankful for this year. ;)

Carries-Mom

My FIL was supposed to come tomorrow afternoon...When I got home from work last night, my hubby informed me that my FIL was coming today...actually sometime this evening when hubby gets home...I have to go to work.. ;D  Spent all day cleaning and what not...That thanksgiving cake sounds delicious as well as all of the other dinners.. ;D

DWM II

Were gonna have plenty!

Fried turkey
Deer roast
Baked ham
Cornbread stuffing
Corn casserole
Spinach madeline
Baked yams
2 different pecan pies (one made with Steens syrup, one with light syrup)
Chocolate pie
Home made biscuits
Garlic bread
and I'm sure I'm missing something :)

It's alot of food but there's gonna be plenty of folks to pack home leftovers (I hope!)

Happy Thanksgiving. ;D
Stewardship Counts!

sawguy21

DanG, I wish it weren't such a long drive. Dinner at your house sounds great.

Haytrader

20#  Turk
Corn bread dressing
Regular dressing
Candied yams
Mashed taters and gravy
Broccoli and rice caserole
Seven layer salad
Homemade rolls (real butter)
Pumkin pie w/whipped cream
Peach cobbler
Icecream

We would have fixed a better variety if we were going to have company.   :D

LOVEEEEEE  those leftovers.     ;)
Haytrader

limbrat

We are having turkey, ham, giblet gravey, mac and cheese, candied yams , cheese potatoes, green salad, greenbeans, cornbread dressing, rice dressing, cornbread, choclate cake with lifesavers, coconut cake,  sweet potatoe pie, white fudge with toasted walnuts, fudge with pecans. I helped mawmaw and pawpaw to cook. Tomorrow my cousins and aunts and uncles will come over for the day. My mom cant make it because she is in the hospital. She had a operation and she will be home soon. Thank You Justice Eznack.

Thats one of the grand babies she is 7 8) 8)
ben

Tom

Crtreedude is going over to Fla_Deadheader's house for a banana and a guava frosty. :P

DanG

:D :D :D :D :D  Good'un Tom! 8) 8)

Subsailor Bruce, given your professional background, I was afraid to ask about the "heavy" noodles. :o :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

submarinesailor

No Dang, we don't use heavy water. :D :D :D  I have enough zoomies from working on the missiles, I don't need anymore. ::) :o ::) :o ::) :o

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!