iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting ready to start sawing and the snow is melting

Started by Quebecnewf, April 25, 2009, 05:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Hauling a few more small logs to the mill. I had a late order for 100 4x4x10. You can see in the pic we still have the ice bridge to the mainland but its getting thinner

The logs we cut all winter are starting to show
Going sawing tomorrow

Can't wait

Quebecnewf

beenthere

Alright...we can see you are havin a real heat wave up there.. ;D ;D ;D

..but it is all relative. Soon you will have to stay off the ice and hit that log pile. Looks like a good one, and with a good order for 4x4's, should help out some.

Thanks for the pics.

Hopefully the bugs are not too close to coming alive as well.  ::) ::)

You speak of the mainland, is that it in the third pic and showing some houses far off?  I thought it was a slight rise just behind your wood piles. But think I can make out buildings just above the spruce tree laying in the snow.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

Thanks for the pictures  8)

I wish it still looked like that here instead of 88F !!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ed_K

your 88 and I'll raise you 2. The black flies hit yesterday but they haven't started biting yet  ;D .
Ed K

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

Remember, newf is on an island, Harrington Island in NE Quebec on the south shore, where he lives in a small fishing village called Harrington Harbour.

http://www.traveljournals.net/explore/canada/map/m799706/harrington_island.html

Zoom in on the satellite image.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Quebecnewf

Swampdonkey

Thanks for the reply.  I am located on an island as you said but the region is known as the Lower North Shore. It is the lower part of the St Lawrence River .

Went in by snowmobile to the mill this morning and sawed around 20 logs. Rained cats and dogs on the end of it. Gave it up and came back home because the rest of the logs were frozen together. You can beat them apart but they are hard to saw with lumps of ice sticking to them. We may get back in to the mill on Tue if were lucky but after that we will have to go in by boat as the snow will be pretty much gone.

Crab fishing season is about to open here within the week and things will get real busy.

Hope to launch my boat next week.

Quebecnewf

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Quebecnewf on April 26, 2009, 02:56:41 PM
Swampdonkey

Thanks for the reply.  I am located on an island as you said but the region is known as the Lower North Shore. It is the lower part of the St Lawrence River .

Quebecnewf

Ok, can't argue with ya. ;) No St Lawrence south shore out that far unless it's Newfoundland Island. But it ain't the arctic at least. ;D

Do any scallop fishing?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodhog

Did they ever build you fellas a road thru that area or do you still have to go in and out by ferry?

SwampDonkey

The island is quite a little jump from shore of the mainland. ;)

Woodhog

Thanks,  I was wondering if you could drive all that shore line right thru from Quebec to NFLD/Labrador area, I dont know if the road was ever built to connect it all????

SwampDonkey

Well, you can drive from Baie Comeau to Labrador City and Churchill Falls. I don't think you can drive the coast all the way up to that area. It looks like it's a soup hole with all the pot lakes shown on the satellite image.

Stephen1

Hey Quebecnewf,  I was almost up to your part of the world this week-end, Sept-isle. what a beautiful drive it was all along the north shore of the St.Lawrence river.
my daughter is teaching english at a small school there.
we left Oakville on Thursday morning for a 10 hr. train ride to Quebec City. we visited with friends then rented a car and drove the north shore for 8 hrs. to Sept- isle. there is only 4 more hrs of road after Sept-isle.
I had a little problem with the language as my french is not good at all. My 2 daughters are bilingual but all I can do is order beer, and food.
I understand there is a big bridge project going to happen this summer which is part of getting a road up to your neck of the woods.
i would love to do the supply ship trip along the north shore 1 day, it is on the to do list.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

There is also a rail from Sept-Isle up to Schefferville, Quebec on the northern Labrador border. Not the far tip though. It's an Inuit village I believe. Goes up Thursdays and returns the following Friday.

Quebecnewf

There is still no road up this way. The road ends at Natashquan about 150 miles west of Harrington Harbour maybe in a few years

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!