iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone Need Any Rain?

Started by Gary_C, September 23, 2010, 01:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

I think we have some extra we could have spared if anyone is short.

It's amazing the weather forcasts predicted this at least two days ago and now it's here. Started around 3-4:00 yesterday afternoon with thunder and lightening. This morning my rain gauge was full and overflowing but it only holds about 6 inches. I dumped that and now it's about half full again. Some of the noon news reports said places have received 8-9 inches and another 1-3 expected later today with more severe storms.

All the towns around here have flooding in small streams and drainage ditches. Owatonna is evacuating some areas and sandbagging others. Dodge Center is flooded. Now there is a report that a culvert has washed out under Hwy 52 which is a major four lane highway between Rochester and St. Paul. They say the road may be blocked for at least a week and that is a very heavily traveled road. My wife just had to go pick up a grandaughter cause the schools are closing early and there is water over the roads everywhere. But this is flat land and the water is not running fast cause it has no where to go.

The sump pump in the basement has been running all night and is losing the battle as we now have a little water on the floor.

There are lakes in all the fields around here. So Minnesota may now be the land of 100,000 lakes.

What a mess.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sandhills

Sorry to hear about that Gary, kinda sounds like the June we had here in Ne.  A few days ago I'd paid you for some, but we got about an inch this morning and thats about perfect this time of year.  Wish all the best for you guys up there, and if ya need it I got a big pontoon boat ;).

Norm

I thought about you Gary when I saw the radar earlier. Sorry to hear you guys are getting too much rain again.

beenthere

Gary, hate to tell you but we haven't seen but a drop or two in a several days.

Am hearing some thunder now, but all is still dry.

Keep us posted.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

Send your extra rain here....northeast Miss....its as dry as a powder keg...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

DR_Buck

What's rain?     My grass is so dry that when I walk across the yard it breaks off and crumbles into little dust clouds. :o
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Mooseherder

We have had way too much rain here.
Seems like most days we'll get some.
It's pouring right now.  It also woke me up around 2am this morning.
My pond has been full for the last couple months and my sprinkler system hasn't been on in 2 months also.
That is quite unusual.

chevytaHOE5674

We are now getting that rain over this way. Calling for a couple of inches the rest of tonight and into tomorrow with possible flooding.

easymoney

i cant rember the last rain we had in middle tennessee. the grass here is brown and crunchy. we still have trmperature in the 90s that is all supposed to change this weekend  with showers and cooler weather.

Magicman

We have not had a drop of rain during the month of September.   :( :(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gary_C

Well, we still have our heads above water but it's still raining. A friend came by late this afternoon and he had to dump his rain gauge at 10.5 inches. I am sure there are some places locally that are over 12 inches by now. The rain is supposed to end by midnight. There is no travel advised in the area as there is water over the roads in many places that haven't been checked yet.

The city of Rochester and Olmstead County have already applied for federal disaster aid and they were not the ones that got the most rain. Their very nice and expensive flood control project has worked perfectly thru many rainstorms including this one. I guess they see this as an opportunity to get an injection of much needed money.  :)

pigman

Yes, we could take some of that rain since you seem to have some to spare. We havn't had any measurable rain since the first of August. If it doesn't rain soon I will have to start hauling water for the frogs. ::) The Ohio and Kentucky rivers are the lowest I have seen in years. If it wasn't for the dams, there wouldn't be enough water in them to float a john boat.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DanG

Dry as a popcorn fart around here.  We haven't had a drop in about a month.  I could take an inch or two if you can spare it, Gary.  I sure don't want no twelve inches though. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Randy88

The only thing worse than getting the rain is being downsteam from those that did get it, I'm in Iowa and its headed this way, the flooding is bad and getting worse, the mississippi rivers going to shut down to barge traffic and I know of several farmers who combined corn all last night to get it out along their bottoms before its all flooded, poor guys, its really sad to see it all gone like that and it'll be a total loss.    In Archedia Wi they were evacuating the entire town by boat this morning and its been declared a distaster area.   I've been told all roads from rochester to minneapois are shut and several are washed out and gone.   We were working late last night and on the way home we had a spectatular lightning show to the north and I kept thinking someones getting it big time.   The mississippi river is expected to raise from 9 ft to over 19 ft and thats before it rained all day in minnesota today, don't know what it'll be like now, and its so late in the season to ever get things back and dried out before the cold weather hits, its going to be a disaster getting crops out this fall, let alone getting the roads put back before winter.    With that kind of rain this late in the year you'll have to wait until the ground freezes before getting back to work won't you Gary?   Mother nature has no mercy and this year its been bad.    Last year it was crops that never matured and now this year it'll be crops totallly destroyed or too wet to get to.   I hope your on higher ground  where your at Gary and your house isn't under water or anything.    What kind of direct damage have you had from flooding? 

Coon

Nah don't need any rain here.  We have been having the wettttest year on record this year.  According to my rain guage we have had 49.2 inches this year.  My neighbour across the street tallied his readings and has said his numbers show 52.5 inches.  This is for the rains since spring breakup and vary from area to area.  Heck we have so much water that the ducks and geese are getting confused as to where they are.  :D 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ahlkey

As of this evening we have received 6-7 inches in less than 24 hours and it is still raining and expected to continue throughout the night.  Quite a few neighbors have flooded basements and they expect another 1-2 inches before it all calms down tomorrow.  Overall, it has been the worse year on record as far as rain in parts of the state. Local farmer who rents my 80 acres was only able to get the hay off just a few days prior to Labor Day?  It has nearly rained every few days since June.  I have never seen a year like this one as far as the timing of the rain.

Gary_C

Quote from: Randy88 on September 23, 2010, 11:56:34 PM
  With that kind of rain this late in the year you'll have to wait until the ground freezes before getting back to work won't you Gary?   Mother nature has no mercy and this year its been bad.    Last year it was crops that never matured and now this year it'll be crops totallly destroyed or too wet to get to.   I hope your on higher ground  where your at Gary and your house isn't under water or anything.    What kind of direct damage have you had from flooding? 

I have cut back to just my own home place acres and that is high and dry or almost so. There are some dips on side hills that will be trouble but they can be worked around. So my only loss so far is time and it's hard to say just how much.

Unfortunately yesterday I went back to an old job that I had finished earlier this year to help the DNR with some cleanup work that I was really not required to do using my forwarder. I was just finishing up when the rains started and it got so muddy so fast that I decided to leave the semi, trailer, and forwarder there to avoid tearing up a private driveway and now I have to wait to retrieve my equipment when I could have been doing some maintenance work at home during the wet time. But the weather forecast shows nothing but wind, sunshine, and 70's for the extended forecast. That should dry things out fast.

But I sure pity the guys that have bean fields under water as they say the pods could break open and the beans will fall out when they dry out. That's not good at all.

barbender

This has been a wet summer here, we've been down on precip for so long our swamps were getting really dry, well, they are filled back up now. April was really warm and dry, but after that, it seems like it has rained every other day.
Too many irons in the fire

Gary_C

The rain has quit for a while now. Supposed to come again tomorrow. But it will be sometime before the water is gone. I counted 23 major road closures on the MN DOT 511  road condition report including I 35 at Owatonna where the Straight River is over the road south of town. For the first time we got a red alert phone call from the county emergency management warning all county residents to NOT come to Owatonna as everything is closed. All I 35 traffic is going right past the front of my place on a narrow two lane road with no shoulder. There is a steady stream of semi's and other traffic. I doubt I could even get on the highway because of the traffic.

Because of the land elevations, Owatonna is in real trouble. This area is higher in elevation than St. Paul and so all the small rivers and streams run northwest from here and make a big circle and then dump into the Cannon River in Cannon Falls which is quite a ways north east of here and the water then finds its way into the Mississippi River. Same thing happens in Mankato which is almost straight west of Owatonna. The Minnesota River comes into Mankato from the north west and then turns north and runs all the way back up to St. Paul where it dumps into the Mississippi.

It's going to take a long time for the water to receed as there are few waterways to move this amount of water. And the Straight River in Owatonna is anything but straight. I haven't heard any rainfall totals and I must have had over ten inches but that is just a guess as my rain gauge ran over once.

Sometime today I am going to try to fish my semi and forwarder out of that driveway. It's sitting on high ground so as long as it's not raining I should be OK.

Norm

Quote from: Gary_C on September 24, 2010, 10:33:52 AMso as long as it's not raining I should be OK.

Famous last words Gary, I know we both know better but I'd be doing the same if I was in your shoes. 

Be careful.

beenthere

Quote from: Norm on September 24, 2010, 11:19:48 AM
Quote from: Gary_C on September 24, 2010, 10:33:52 AMso as long as it's not raining I should be OK.

Famous last words Gary, I know we both know better but I'd be doing the same if I was in your shoes. 

Be careful.

Yes, be careful........But get some before and after pics.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Having two days of excess rain and high winds here. :( Another delay in any woods work. Was going up to the Lake Michigan shore near the Straits yesterday and camp out for a few days, but changed that now until Sunday when better weather is predicted.
~Ron

Burlkraft

I am in Las Vegas  but I saw on the news that there is a call out for federal help in Wisconsin and Minnesota right now because of the flooding.
We have had more rain this year, usually about this time my lawn is just greening up again from being dead through the months of July and August. I had to mow all summer long this year.  >:(  >:(
garyc probably has logs floatin' down stream right now  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pigman

Quote from: pigman on September 23, 2010, 10:54:12 PM
Yes, we could take some of that rain since you seem to have some to spare. We havn't had any measurable rain since the first of August.

8) 8) We just got .25 inches of rain. 8) Normally I don't measure down to the hundreds, but when it is this dry every bit counts. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

submarinesailor

Just heard on the forecast that we are FINALLY going to get some good rain.  Calling for it to rain starting Sunday and raining through Tuesday afternoon/evening. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!