iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Read here that Owning a Swing Blade and Hdy. Bandmill is a Good Combo. to Have.

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, October 11, 2010, 07:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

I'm Considering this Type of Set Up of the LM 2000 & Pete. 8-27 WPF Mounted Opposite each other on a Home Built Trailer.

I'd mount the LM 2000 at the Tonque End of the Trailer, this mill would be located in the center of the trailer on a day to day basis. The trailer has a open Tread's that will let the saw dust drop down.

The Peterson WPF 8-27 would be mounted on the out board part of the trailer with detachable slip in pockets and the like for quick set up. I'd use the trailer to transport both mills to the job stite and would detach the 8-27 and use it like it was intended .. when I needed to saw in a tight or walk-in only area.

I'd operate the mills on the trailer as they transverse toward each other. The LM 2000 would be best for taking horizontal cuts for wide boards. The 8-27 would do the vertical cuts.  No need for running the lumber through a edger. The 8-27 works this way as it is without the band mill cuts for the Hoz. .

The Gained Advantage... My Best Guess is Hdy. Load of the Log's to the Trailer. The LM 2000 Log Bunks (adjustable) set the log up faily quick. The trailer could transport both mills on (as req'd.) to the job site.

Would I Reap an Advantage in operating both together... the jury is out to deliberation. I'm  sure to hear both sides, perhaps just one sided (nay) but hauling both mills I (when needed) at that same time should work.

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Jeff

Why??

I'm taking it you mean for transport?  The swingmill is not a mill that should be mounted on a trailer. That's not where they shine.  Sounds like an inefficient hodge-podge to me.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

Only issue I see is that when you need the Peterson it's probably going to be for logs that are too big to move easily, so you will be setting up the mill around the log.

No reason you can't carry both mills on one trailer, but I would just plan to carry the swingblade and it's rails on the other mill's trailer. The weight is minimal, a couple of extra (removable) racks on the trailer and it's all good to go.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Captain

By just fastening the log to the LM and essentially cutting it down to the clamps, you are not going to be able to saw lumber for grade.

In my opinion, the way to use the two together is to saw larger cants to resaw into smaller pieces.  For example, a swingmill and a stationary resaw used together could essentially double my production when cutting 2x stock.  The swingmill could cut a 4x4 for example and that could be immediately shoved through the resaw to make 2 2x4s.

Captain

H60 Hawk Pilot

Captain

That's a Good Suggestion, to use the LM 2000 for a resaw to get better production. I could side stack load up of -- 4 (or X)  by  X lumber  and take one or two cuts, just depends what I'm doing with the stack up and what I need by resawing.

I was trying to get the Max. usage from the two different (two manual mills.. swing & band) mills.

Thank's for the Advice.

Also, If I'd be able to mount the two mills together and they'd cut true with each other. I could  face the log off  and cut vertical with the 8-27   up to 8" deep and Hoz. across as needed, then, take one or multi. pass(s) with the LM 2000. I could cut all the way across (up to 24") at a time.  I'd only handle the lumber one time. The advantage would only be on the larger stuff and practical to bring both mills in play at once (I think). Other wise, don't re-invent the wheel and mill away on smaller stuff with 8-27.  

I like the convenience of handling the logs from the ground with a twin arm'd loader (elec. over Hdy.) arm.  I lose time positioning the log and blocking it up for log taper when cutting with the 8-27.   

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

sgschwend

There was a time that folks thought a swing mill would be a great cant maker, then do the resaw on the bandmill for optimum saw life and recovery.

Material movement is the challenge with these type of ideas (even more so that just with a single mill).  Also making a softwood cant with a swingmill could be difficult without a hydraulic log handler (not impossible but it may not be easy).

With two mills you would be making a big increase in your fixed costs, increase in maintenance and more than double your equipment failure rate. 

I would recommend you decide on what your product is going to be and then select a good mill for that purpose.  Keep in mind that not all operating costs are the same, some sawyers are working in a very competitive environment  an extra $100 dollars a day may make the difference between making money or being in the red.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

They work a lot better when you use the strengths of each mill to their maximum  ;) I was just talking to one of my old bosses the other day who wants me to travel 160 miles to his mill where he has alot of oversize logs on the way in the future and as he sold his Lucas awhile back ( He has Two Kara Masters with an edger inline also which is good for the small pine and hardwood he saws ) He wants me to do all the milling for him in all the logs 26" and over  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) but like I said to him you bloody mad for selling it every bigger sawmiller should have one but like he said I will get aanother new lucas one day but  while I can get you I'll do that Mate  ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D  8)

Regard Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

weisyboy

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

weisyboy

hey cris those kara saws a bouldy good bits of kit.

we used to have a kara 2000, gee she was good, could punch out the timber.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

H60 Hawk Pilot

Forgot to mention, I already own both mills,  trailer and hdyraulic's to add on to the Saw Trailer to load the logs to the LM 2000.

I don't need to buy anything but time & effort to add the LM 2000 with log loader to the trailer.

Also,  it get's my 15 YO out of the house to do a man's toil... that's an important issue with me.

Thank You Sponsors!