iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why did you buy a portable sawmill?

Started by rockman, January 21, 2012, 11:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockman

This may have already been done before, I don't know. It is very UNscientific, I am very close to buying one to to replace income due to being laid off. I know each case is different, but I am curious as to how you all got the sawing bug.

Thanks,
  Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My neighbor has a Mill. Due to health he has stopped sawing for the public. I bought mine to handle the market in our area. It has really paid off for me.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

jdtuttle

Have a great day

Dave VH

you should have I want it and all of the above  that would be my answer
I cut it twice and it's still too short

dutchman

I've alway cut firewood, and felled trees, for extra income.
I helped as off bearer at a circle mill, got interested in milling.
I bought my portable bandmill used in Dec. 1998.
I wanted to use it for extra income, looking toward retirement.
I've been laid of for just over three years, I only saw part time.
I didn't want to have to work the mill for income, but I'm not far
from that now.

Magicman

In a way, all of the above.  It has exceeded my income expectations and it has evolved more into a portable sawmilling business than I expected. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Mostly 1,2 & 4 apply to me, but then they all do to an extent.

I also saw because I genuinely enjoy it!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I just saw for my own use. I have trees on my land and a tractor to get them out,but don't want to get into the lumber sales.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ozarkian

I have not purchased mine YET, but have decided that I am purchasing one in the next week or two.  I am buying on to use the tree's I have access to for free to build my own buildings, furniture, and to re-side my house.  Anything else after that is extra, I will save enough money for the barn that it will pay for the mill itself.  I am purchasing cheap, under 4k for the mill alone.
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

ladylake

I alway liked milling, at first I bought it for tax savings which it did a good job.  Now it's my full time job.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bugdust

Looks like 2,3, and 4 for me. I'm 3rd generation with sawdust in my blood. Lots of timber, retired, no competition (not that it matters), just love to open a log and marvel what she looks like inside. What a way to spend your golden years!
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

MapleNut

Just bought my mill in Nov. Just learning to saw. Have only sawn my own logs, so far. My plan is to also saw for extra income...hopefully. Not now tho-to cold here in the U.P.  -14F this am.
2005 WM LT40HDG28, 5500 IRON MULE, 272,262,046, & A PIC!

dlabrie

Quote from: ladylake on January 21, 2012, 05:23:10 PM
I alway liked milling, at first I bought it for tax savings which it did a good job.  Now it's my full time job.    Steve

How does the  "tax savings" work?
David in NH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

He is probably talking about sales tax. I didn't have to pay sales tax on mine.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dlabrie

David in NH

Nomad

All the above reasons are good.  I got a better one. 
     Yesterday, at the jobsite on the ranch I've been working on, the owner showed up with his grandson.  This 9 year old naturally wanted to see what was going on.  When I cut the first slab off a log I stopped my offbearer from pulling it off.  I called the kid over and told him to just push it off the side.  Then I brushed the sawdust off and explained to him that he was looking at something that nobody had ever seen before; the inside of that log.  The color, the grain, the knots...  he was the first to see it.  Ever! 
     That young boy was actually impressed.  (Surprised me, he did!)  And when he sees it on the floor of one of his Grandpa's offices in a few months, he'll remember that.  To think...  I get to do that every day, and get paid to boot!  Does it get any better than that?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

ladylake

Quote from: dlabrie on January 21, 2012, 08:49:56 PM
Quote from: ladylake on January 21, 2012, 05:23:10 PM

How does the  "tax savings" work?

With a good paying job I was sending a lot to Uncle Sam with no deductions. With the sawmill I could take depreciation, milage on my truck, part of the utilty bills   etc.  The year before I had to pay in $1000 plus what they witheld, the next year I got $6000 back and about $3000 back for a couple years after that.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kelLOGg

Kevin,
Good to see you posting again. Before I retired I had a co-worker in the Wilton area in Granville Co who bought a sawmill after hurricane Fran. He has been very busy with it. If you like I can give you his contact info and you can assess the competition.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Meadows Miller

Gday

I got into it at the rip old age off Birth 4th Generation and Dang Proud Off It !! and very happy they taught and supported Me alot from the time I could listen I have Been sawing since about the age off 12 had 2 CSM's ,1 band Mill ,Built a Circular Mill from Scratch at 18yo ,Have Two Lucas Mills 8" and 10" and was in the process of Rebuilding My Grandfathers and Fathers old Meadows Mill & Edger  ;)
That was untill I met the love off my life Jesi in Alabama Who supports my addiction or can live with it  :) :) actually she and daughter mexi are both quite interested in it also ;) ;D  So so after alot off discussion now mill #8 Our First Wood Mizer an LT40Hyd 38G and my second band mill looks to be on the way  :) :) :) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)
In all seriousness having your own mill can do alot off things for an individual It can help you Build furniture or Build a Home ,Support you and your family,build a company whatever you want to do the sky is the limit  as long as your willing to work hard ;) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

xlogger

For me it was 2 and 4. Rather run the mill with harder work than going to my public job. Hey Kevin when you coming over again? Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

VT-Woodchuck

Over the years of cutting firewood, I had cut up a lot of good lumber. When I retired, I had more time for woodworking and working in my woodlot. I first bought an Alaskan, then a Woodbug. I sawed quite a lot of lumber with those chansaw mills. Did I mention that I retired, which means I'm getting older! I spent a couple of years looking at different bandsaw mills, checking out Sawmill Exchange, etc. :P   About this time a friend contracted cancer and died rather quickly. :( The last time I visited him, he said that if there was some I had always wanted to do, do it now! I basically went home and ordered a WM LT15. 8) 8) Since then, I have milled up some very nice cherry and maple that I am using in our house. I really enjoy being the first person to see the inside of a log!  :D

rockman

Quote from: xlogger on January 22, 2012, 07:24:51 AM
For me it was 2 and 4. Rather run the mill with harder work than going to my public job. Hey Kevin when you coming over again? Ricky

I'll get ahold of ya to see when you're there, I've been busy mounting my "job boxes" and welder on my trailer. I would love to spend some time over there, but I also don't want to were out my welcome.
Kevin
Husqvarna 455 rancher

xlogger

You are welcome just give me a call. I might need your help with some steel work, I'm going to move my toeboards in some, TK has them 12 ft apart and I'm going to move them in to about 6 ft apart. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

rockman

Husqvarna 455 rancher

rockman

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 22, 2012, 06:26:38 AM
Kevin,
Good to see you posting again. Before I retired I had a co-worker in the Wilton area in Granville Co who bought a sawmill after hurricane Fran. He has been very busy with it. If you like I can give you his contact info and you can assess the competition.

Bob

Hey Bob, I guess I haven't checked this thread in awhile, I just saw your post. Thanks, I will p.m. you.

Kevin
Husqvarna 455 rancher

Thank You Sponsors!