iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Assembled and tested my veneer vacuum system

Started by Brad_bb, October 01, 2012, 11:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

A few months ago I was trying to figure out the best way to clamp some glue ups to make some thicker material(face glueing 3/4" boards).  Well forum member Don_Papenburg turned me on to vaccuum bag clamping.  Most often used for veneering, but no reason it wouldn't work for what I'm doing.  Incidentally this is to make a new seat/base for my shaving horse.  The old, very dry pine one cracked under my weight, partially due to my weight, and partially due to the legs being splayed too much. 
   Well I decided that having the vacuum clamping system would be a handy thing to have. I ended up purchasing a V2 Premium kit, a Venturi Vacuum System from
http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm

I opted for the Venturi system because it was simpler and didn't require a vacuum pump.  it uses compressed air and a Venturi to create vacuum.  You have to have 100psi, which is no problem for my 7hp Champion compressor.
   Well the kit sat in my shop for the last several months, having too many things to do and too little time.  Don_Papenburg actually called me and kicked me in the butt asking if I'd built and used the system yet.  So I got in gear and assembled, adjusted, and tested the system over the last few days. 

I had to glue up some Walnut boards for width today.  Once dry, I'll flatten one side of each glue up and face glue them with Veneer glue (Unibond 800) in the vacuum bag.  I staggered the joints so it should be plenty strong for my shaving horse seat.  I'll post some pics as I go.
Thanks Don!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Tree Feller

Excellent! I have a furniture-making friend who built the same system. His works great.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Dan_Shade

i have a vacuum pump setup that I made, I bought the parts from joewoodworker too

they can be very convenient. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Brad_bb

...And I do think that buying the parts through them is cheaper than I could find the parts for.  If you're going with a vacuum pump system though, you can probably find an old used pump at a low cost, so long as it still works well and can pull down enough vacuum.

My Venturi system was pretty easy to put together.  I had to order the solid core 3" PVC pipe, and 3" end caps from Lowe's.  It came to my local store next day.  Fortunately they sell the pipe in 5 ft lengths.  I still have 20 or so inches left over if anyone is going to build one...  It's a slick little system and I think I'm going to either mount it under my assembly table, or build a drawer under the table top that this system can go inside.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!