iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need help finding parts for 1929 Frick mill

Started by Matt Smith, October 26, 2012, 10:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Smith

Hi everyone, new to the forum and need some help. A good friend of mine is in bad health and is going to give me his old 1929 Frick sawmill in the future. It is in working order now but needs some TLC. It is PTO tractor driven using the tire and pulley as the primary drive but still has flat belts as well to work the table. I know it has some pulley alignment issues but the belts are just wore out and have been spliced so many times it's ridiculous. So far this has been the hardest part to find, does anyone know where I can find these old flat belts and the splices? I also need new bit and keepers too. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions later, especially when I start to move it, set it back up, and start to run it but this will be a good start. Thanks in advance, Matt.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum

There have been previous threads on belts, and from my recollection, they are not real difficult to find. Do a search here and some good hits should pop up.
But pull up a stump and tell us about the "new" mill, and we like pics for sure.

You have come to the right place, and your questions will get answered.

You have a great opportunity, thanks to your good friend. If his health is life threatening, settle the deal before something bad happens and his estate doesn't honor his wishes that you have his mill. It happens the wrong way sometimes.  Start the TLC at the mills new location sooner than later. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

Farm stores often have flat belts, or they know a source.  You do not want rubber belts, as they grab a little too much for those older mills.  Frick still are making some mills under Albright Saw.  Here's the website:  http://fricksawmills.com/  Good source for parts.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Matt,old engine clubs/shows are a good place to find belting.Save the old belts to determine the proper legnth,as its critical for the feed works.For power transmission I've used conveyer belting cut to the proper width.Oh and welcome.You'll have to check the bits and shanks for numbers or letters.Menominee saw can help you,but if you have a local hammersmith its good form to buy from him. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

apm

Don't know how far you are from Charlotte, but I buy my flat belting at Bowman Hollis. It's their primary business.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Thank You Sponsors!