iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I done went and done it...

Started by DanG, January 01, 2002, 07:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I get em how ever they came in on the truck. That means everyone is different. But on our mill it don't matter.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

Guys,
    I have da built in adjustment handle that keeps the far end of the track stationary and I can adjust the operators end to fit the taper of most any log.  I hade some today that I had to adjust some 4+' on an eight foot run.  It took about 5sec. for tht adjustment.   It all boils down to what each of us has for a set-up and how comfortable bwe have become in the methods we use.  ;)   Now, that sound like some of those folks we have sent to Washington D.C.. :D :D  Ron, As far as the mud is concerned, etc, I wash all of my logs before sawing.  I use a 4,000PSI pressure washer.   It does the trick for outside junk.   8)
Frank Pender

Jeff

Frank, that would work here for about the 2 months we have above freezing. :D

L. Wakefield

I was just re-reading this thread, and generated a dumb question. I've not used nor owned any of these saws (yet)- I have briefly used a lathe. So it hits me suddenly- how DO you decide how to true up the log to get the max yield from it? In a lathe you chuck the piece in at what would approximate a center of gravity, and as it turns down, the fibres are in as parallel a line as possible to the plane of cut. I can see if you could do that to a log that you would get the least amount of cross-sut fibers in each board. But you go on about taper- which is a fact of life- so do you figure out what is the 'flattest' side of the log, put that side down to start, and then just start slabbing til you get into useable material?

I am sure when I get a chance to go see a mill in operation, answers to questions like this will become very obvious. ::)
   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Frank_Pender

LW,
     Yes, for all intense purposes, that is about what happens.  I make my first pass, removing the bark to a point of being able to cut either a 1 x 4, 6,8, 10, 12, or a 2 x in the same dimensions.  with the top and bottom edger bladesI can omit any wane.  I then determine, by way of the customers cutting list what dimensions will come off next, by raising the track and carrage to the appropriate height and move in a left to right direction across the diameter of the log. This then becomes a repeat process until the log is completely cut.
Frank Pender

Bibbyman

Well,  every log is different, just as every sawyer.  Also depends on what you are trying to make out of the log.

Here are some of the ways I tackle log positioning on our Wood-Mizer mill.

If I were trying to make a beam out of a log,  then I'd "box the heart" by leveling the centerline of the log on the bed of the mill.  This is "split taper" sawing.  Your slabs tend to be thick on the butt end.  This is also how we tackle most common construction lumber sawing.

If the log as "sweep" (crook),  then I'd put the hump up on the bed. I'll adjust the top of the little end level with the top of the big end and saw off the hump first.  Then the opposite side will have a slab heavy on the butt end.  This technique generally produces the most usable lumber.  

For grade sawing logs with a lot of taper,  I'll sometimes "full taper" saw them.  This is,  I'll raise the little end of the log until I am sawing parallel to the outside face of the log ON ALL FOUR FACES.  The resulting cant will look like the Washington monument when it is squared out.  When I hit a face with below grade lumber on it, I'll put that side up and lower the cant flat on the bed and take the taper out of it.  (Tapered boards are allowed in grade sawing and are measured for width 1/3 was down the length from the small end.)  

All of the above is contingent on what other defects are in the log such as bad faces, cracks, knots or hole/rot in the heart of the butt end, etc.  For example,  if a log has a blaze or scar on one face,  I'll put that face up on the mill and take all the taper out of it right off.

A major crack across the end of a log will likely make me decide to turn the logs so the crack is 45 degrees to the blade.  Thus,  most of the crack will fall at the edge of the board and may be edged off or not cause the board to be downgraded.  A crack in the middle of the board will cause the grade to be lowered or not make the grade at all.  Knots on an otherwise clear log should be placed on "the corner" for the same reason.

About every log will pose some variation to the above styles of sawing.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Jeez Bib you answered that just like a real sawyer would :D

Actually, I used to think that you guys with the portables were just playing, but I now know better.  In fact I'm now jealous.

Ron Wenrich

I usually split taper most of my logs, especially the long logs. My maximum taper is 4 inches.  I can get rid of short lumber in most species.  I also box most of the hearts.

For defect, I always try to get it at a 45 degree from the face.  It gives you more cutting units and longer cuts which can bring you up a grade.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bibbyman

Hay Jeff.  

Mary said to tell you it ain't the size of the tool that makes a craftsman!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

DanG

Hey Jeff!  You could always buy yourself one, and join in the fun. ;D 8) 8) ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Remember, I am an employee of a sawmill. I can't afford one. Maybe if the forum gets 30,000 more members you could each send me a dollar...

Frank_Pender

Jeff, We only need about 23,000 members at a dollar each. for a Mobile Dimension :D :D  

Dan G., How is getting the mill set up, going.  I was sawing up a storm of sawdust today and was thinking of you and your new toy.  Let us know how things are going, please.
Frank Pender

DanG

Frank, I don't have the mill in my possession, yet.  I'm still waiting for the money to get here. :(   I had to get the money from my 401K plan, and put up with all the red tape the Guvmint requires.  It should be here by this weekend, and I'm on vacation next week.

I really didn't expect to be getting a mill until summer, so much of the preparation remains undone. I have a lot of work to do before I can really call it "set up,"  but I'll just find a flat spot and go for it, till I figger everything out. I do have a shed I can store it under, and just pull it out when I'm using it.

Tom,  get finished with your daily work EARLY, next week.  It will be getting dark early, because of that big cloud of sawdust 'bout 200 miles to the west of you. 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Well, now I'm really in a delimna!  The money arrived today, and I'm on vacation next week. Should I go get the mill, or just spend the week sittin' on my butt watchin' Judge Judy and the soaps?

Tom

Oh Danny boy.
The pipes are callin
back and to the plain so wide
It's you what must go.....and me what must wait
to gather your mill without no freight
and see your pipes laid straight
beneath a log at your home.

So come ye back when sawdust is in your petunias
and slabs and boards are thrown about you're yard

I'll be here in the sunlight on the porch swing.
oh Danny boy....oh danny boy you're on your own.

don't try to sing this    :D

Frank_Pender

Only if it is 40o below zero.  GO GET THE MILL and begin a journey mar more entertaining than the soaps or the judge. 8) 8)  AND KEEP US POSTED, please!  ;D
Frank Pender

DanG

I'll take these generous advices under advisement.
Thanks.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

DanG

Tom, I tried to sing it, despite the warning. I think I hurt myself. ::)

psychotic1

I KNOW I hurt myself, but it was still worth it.
Go, my son and enjoy the taste of sawdust for your ownself.
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Thank You Sponsors!