iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Put a winch on the mill to pull logs?

Started by DR Buck, April 03, 2004, 05:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

:)  
I've got an LT-40HD25G and was thinking about putting a winch on it to make getting the logs onto the loader a little easier.  Has anyone done this on their mill?    When I saw at home I can use the tractor to push them in close, but when I'm at a customer site I don't have the tractor.  

I was thinking that by going around the log and hook the end back at the mill, say to the loader cross brace that maybe the log would roll.  My concern is if it will drag the mill sideways.

Any ideas or suggestions?   ??? :P ??? :P ??? :P

Dave
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Minnesota_boy

Yup, I've done that.  Sometimes you roll the log, sometimes you slide the mill.  You  aren't supposed to do it because it puts a lot of strain on the sawmill legs, but the other choice is to put the strain on my legs (and back and arms).  It's much easier to replace the sawmill's legs than mine.

I made a bracket that would hook to the upper part of the sawmill and mounted a socket for the power nearby.  The cable goes from the winch over the top of the log and back underneath to hook to the chain on the log loader.  Most logs will roll pretty nicely.  I have dragged the mill sideways a bit on 2 occasions though.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

AtLast

I did it and absolutely love it. I called Baker to be sure it was ok and if they had suggestions. Mike McNail was very accomidating and gave me a few ideas on how and where. I got a winch that runs off my mill battery and can pull 6000lbs and lift 2000 lbs. Welded a mount with gussets, ran the wires for easy on easy off application and picked up an additional 30' of cable. Welded a 6000 lb capacity hook  ring so all I need to do is pull out the cable, rap it around the log and hook it to the hook rind and hit the switch. Sometimes you have to help guide the log as it moves, but thats easy enuf to do with the cant hook and it sure beat muscling the logs around. I agree with Minnesota_boy on the back, legs  and arm thing.  ;D

DR Buck

Minnesota_boy,

Got any pictures of how you mounted to the saw?  I would be interested in seeing them if you do.   I'm going to look at the LT40 today and see where I might be able to fit something in that will be clear of the moving parts.

Dave

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Minnesota_boy

I don't have any pictures of it mounted and it probably wouldn't help you as I hook it to the log clamp.  My mill is old enough that it has the flip-up clamp and the winch will sit right on top of it when it is folded down.  If the winch won't get the log over a hump (lousy winch), I can use the hydraulics of the clamp for an extra boost for a few inches.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Kevin_H.

We have use the hyd clamp to pull logs to the mill, We attached the chain to the log loader cross member, ran it under the log and back to the clamp, A couple of raps around the clamp and give it a good pull.

You can only get a couple of feet at a time, but it does work.

We too still have the old style clamp.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Thank You Sponsors!