iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Difficult Sawing Sites

Started by Magicman, March 29, 2013, 02:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawdust Lover

You have to take the good with the bad! Just shows you will go that extra mile to get it done for people. There's rewards for that!

woodNthings

Im looking forward to seeing where the mill takes me, and vise versa.
Last week I went to preview a saw job for a fella with 20+ cedar logs. After a few miles down a dirt road/path, he stopped and unloaded the 4-wheeler... ???   Two creek crossings and several miles of rain rutted trail later, we arrived at the log pile ::)
I said "think you misunderstood 'mobile sawmill', partner"
'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'80s Case rough terrain forklift
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

Ianab

Quote from: woodNthings on March 31, 2013, 12:41:24 PM
Im looking forward to seeing where the mill takes me, and vise versa.
Last week I went to preview a saw job for a fella with 20+ cedar logs. After a few miles down a dirt road/path, he stopped and unloaded the 4-wheeler... ???   Two creek crossings and several miles of rain rutted trail later, we arrived at the log pile ::)
I said "think you misunderstood 'mobile sawmill', partner"

Sounds like some of the places I've milled.  :D

Difference is we hooked the mill to the 4 wheeler and got in there.
This IS the flat spot on this site.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

rambo

Did you know what you were getting into on this job or was it like surprise, surprise, surprise?????? :D :D :D

Ianab

Quote from: rambo on April 02, 2013, 07:16:13 PM
Did you know what you were getting into on this job or was it like surprise, surprise, surprise?????? :D :D :D

I knew where I was going. It's actually about 100 yards from my old house, which was 1/2 a mile up a gravel road  :D

But this is pretty typical of the terrain in that area. There is a semi-retired guy with a more remote forest block that runs a Lucas mill and gets the sawn boards lifted out by helicopter. He only cuts 3 or 4 trees a year, but can make a good living on that.

Portable sawmilling here tends to be more like WoodNthings experience  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dgdrls

Quote from: Ianab on April 02, 2013, 11:06:13 PM
Quote from: rambo on April 02, 2013, 07:16:13 PM

I knew where I was going. It's actually about 100 yards from my old house, which was 1/2 a mile up a gravel road  :D

But this is pretty typical of the terrain in that area. There is a semi-retired guy with a more remote forest block that runs a Lucas mill and gets the sawn boards lifted out by helicopter. He only cuts 3 or 4 trees a year, but can make a good living on that.

Portable sawmilling here tends to be more like WoodNthings experience  :D

Ian

My dream sawmill experience!

DGDrls

rooster 58

Hey Magicman, I bet WM would make one with 4wd forya :D :D :D

Klicker

I learned on one job it takes two Chevs to pull out my Ford and mill.  :snowball:
2006 LT 40 HD

NMFP

Dont have any pics but 2 years ago, sawed on the top of a mountain where a natural gas pipeline went through.  No access roads other than the pipeline clearing.  Used a D3C Hystat to pull the mill and an International TD-9 to push.  Slope up and down was approx 55 degrees.  The sawing area was flat and level though!!!!  ha ha ha 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Tom the Sawyer

Only a problem for mobile sawyers... if you end up sawing in an alley make sure it isn't trash day.  Those big trucks don't like backing up. smiley_annoyed01
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

francismilker

This is about as difficult as it has gotten for me yet Magicman.  It was in a back alley in town where a recent storm knocked over this magnolia tree.  It tore down the customer's powerline, tv cable, and phone.  They heard about me in the barber shop and gave me a call.  It was very tight quarters and took some doing even to back my little rig around.  All said and done, I was there a total of two hours to buck the tree, load the brush, and provide the customer with a few bdft of pretty good looking lumber.  It paid well and I hope to get more business out of this from word of mouth advertising.  The customer was extremely pleased to have the 4/4 wood in random lengths with some live edges.  He's quite a craftsman and will do a lot with it.

With this small rig I hope to get more of these "one tree wonder" saw jobs as it's very manueverable and I enjoy it's quick setup and seeing the customer's reaction to the boards it produces out of their onetime shadetree.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

WDH

That is a gnarly one for sure  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

francismilker

Quote from: WDH on April 04, 2013, 09:33:25 PM
That is a gnarly one for sure  ;D.

That's kinda what I thought WDH but one man's trash is another's treasure. :D

No way I'd go through the effort to cut and buck that log if it were in the woods.  Let it stand in someone's back yard for a few years and gain some sentimental value, and it becomes potential craft wood.  It surprisingly yielded me no nails either. 8)

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Ianab

And with the little mill like that  you can take those jobs that someone with the bigger mill isn't interested in. One log like that, and a sawyer with big mill and a $400 minimum charge, it's not an option. Your little mill, and a 1 hour minimum change, you can get in there and git R done

Ian

francismilker

Quote from: Ianab on April 04, 2013, 11:23:39 PM
And with the little mill like that  you can take those jobs that someone with the bigger mill isn't interested in. One log like that, and a sawyer with big mill and a $400 minimum charge, it's not an option. Your little mill, and a 1 hour minimum change, you can get in there and git R done

Ian

As far as I can tell, unless someone's sitting on an LT-40 that they keep hidden, I'm the ONLY mill in my immediate area.  It has it's good and bad points though.  I get the occasional call from someone wanting a 36" pecan tree slabbed up.  When I tell them my capabilities, they scoff and wonder why I don't have a bigger mill.  It's the bigger payment I don't want but would love to have a 40!! :'(

Magicman

I also had to have help leaving a sawing site once.

It rained big time after I set up and then I could not get out.  I made the ruts on the right going to the sawmill that morning.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I just thought about another site that was not really that difficult, but I did have to take down and move up to the next log each time.

(I was being paid hourly rate.)   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This would drive me  smiley_whacko
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Hi MM in the last pic I see a houses on legs  :o why is that, or do they make them from the top down :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Those are lakeside homes being build on an oxbow lake between the Mississippi River and the levee.  Here is a LINK to the thread.

Peter Drouin

I see MM , It's weird to see all the flat land, and knowing it can be all under water with one storm,
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I first saw that in RI. They coverd up the "legs" with material that was designed to break away and let the water through. Some of those homes that I saw would be 300,000 homes in my area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

elk42

Magicman                                                                                                         I saw and old Massey F. in your [Link] if it was  yours . I have and old one that I scraped. Also do you  know Robert Williams.

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Magicman

My old yellow backhoe, Fat Albert, is a 1968 Oliver 1650.  I don't know Robert.

Thank You Sponsors!