iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Neat Little Job

Started by Magicman, November 16, 2013, 05:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Occasionally jobs come along that are just neat.  Very nice logs, a smooth level site, very good help, and then a meal afterwards.

This was only three 8' Cherry logs and five 12' Poplar logs.  I sawed Cherry 1X8's & 1X10's and Poplar 1X12's.  Nothing else.  We started at 7:30 AM and finished sawing 1037 bf at 11:30 AM.  I tallied the lumber and had the sawmill packed up by lunch time.

Lunch was hamburger steak & scolloped potatoes, fried sweet potatoes, green beans, crowder peas, cabbage, cornbread, and cake with blueberrys & sauce for dessert.  Just a neat job and a good morning.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Small jobs like that are fun, and the food made it better. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I see Poplar like this on the farm.....but Cherry Logs? Wow....I've never seen Cherry like that around here.
Good job Lynn.

......I like the old farm house in the background.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

I like that type of sawjobs too, Lynn!  8)

My typical sawjob is around 1,800-2,500 bf!  :)

My last one was just over 13,000 board feet!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

Nice logs and even better dinner.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Holmes

That meal sounds bigger than the job.. :o ;D
Think like a farmer.

Nomad

Days don't get any better than that! smiley_thumbsup
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

thecfarm

A little job and alot of groceries. What could be better?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

The older I get the better I like those 1/2 day jobs.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

wormy

Nice job Lynn. Do you not have trouble with the poplar splitting cut that wide?

Magicman

The customer bucked it to 12' which was longer than he needed to allow for any end splitting.  It will be used for B&B siding.  After it dries, I will rip some of the 1X12's for battens.

I saw all B&B siding 12".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

I will take the cherry and you can keep the yellow poplar  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

RynSmith

I had no idea that yellow-poplar (I'm riding on WDHs coattails here) had that dark of a heart - is this normally the case?  I'd love to see a board...

WDH

Yes, the heartwood is a very pronounced green color that fades to dark brown upon exposure to light. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I did not take any pictures of the lumber, but it was the normal yellowish green streaked color with some purple.  Log ends "oxidize" and darken when exposed.  (so will the lumber)

Those logs were from a storm felled tree and the sapwood was in bad shape.  The lumber was totally heartwood.

samandothers

Good you finished the saw job before eatting.  A spread like that could make it hard to bend and work!

fishpharmer

Good show Magicman!  Looks like you had a great day.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

chickenchaser

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 16, 2013, 05:46:12 PM
Wow....I've never seen Cherry like that around here.

smiley_cry smiley_cry
Last week, I let the unforgivable happen. I keep trying to make excuses. They aren't working.

I'm sawing for a buddy on their family farm for a couple of days. They have done a great job getting the logs to the mill site prior to my arrival. SYP, poplar, sweetgum, some knotty hickory, red oak, and even a small cherry. I have been yearning to open my first cherry log!

The mix was separated hardwood and pine and they wanted to start on hardwood. Great for me - I removed my lube system to refurbish it....

Sawing order: poplar...hickory...sweetgum...and finally that first cherry log  8) .
I moved into the oaks: red oak...red oak...uhhh...? Tree ID book says Arkansas oak or water oak per the leaves remaining. Red oak...red oak... smiley_headscratch cherrybark oak?

The excuses:
    1) I normally saw and offbear. I check logs for character as I remove slabs. Even when I have a helper or two, I always travel along the saw regularly making misc. observations. I'm slow. I've been called too meticulous. I break things when I get in a hurry. These guys had a CREW to offbear. Two offbearing. Two cutting up slabs and stickers. One running a wood splitter and one standing wanting to do something. Talk about pressure! About halfway through the hardwoods, I just started sawing. I didn't move far from command post. I just sawed...

2) It was cloudy and getting colder. We were in a hurry.

3) I have never seen a cherry that large. THEY had never seen a cherry that large. I thought it was an oak. They thought it was an oak.

It became  1xwides (12" and under) and 2x6s from the heart. I walked down the 6x6 cant and realized my error. I couldn't convince myself until I leaned over and gave it a sniff...  smiley_cry smiley_cry

I immediately owned up to my mistake. They have taken it much better than I have. I DON'T think I will make that one again.

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

dblair

mmm, mmm, that's a nice job.
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: chickenchaser on November 20, 2013, 08:48:08 AM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 16, 2013, 05:46:12 PM
Wow....I've never seen Cherry like that around here.

smiley_cry smiley_cry
Last week, I let the unforgivable happen. I keep trying to make excuses. They aren't working.

I'm sawing for a buddy on their family farm for a couple of days. They have done a great job getting the logs to the mill site prior to my arrival. SYP, poplar, sweetgum, some knotty hickory, red oak, and even a small cherry. I have been yearning to open my first cherry log!

The mix was separated hardwood and pine and they wanted to start on hardwood. Great for me - I removed my lube system to refurbish it....

Sawing order: poplar...hickory...sweetgum...and finally that first cherry log  8) .
I moved into the oaks: red oak...red oak...uhhh...? Tree ID book says Arkansas oak or water oak per the leaves remaining. Red oak...red oak... smiley_headscratch cherrybark oak?

The excuses:
    1) I normally saw and offbear. I check logs for character as I remove slabs. Even when I have a helper or two, I always travel along the saw regularly making misc. observations. I'm slow. I've been called too meticulous. I break things when I get in a hurry. These guys had a CREW to offbear. Two offbearing. Two cutting up slabs and stickers. One running a wood splitter and one standing wanting to do something. Talk about pressure! About halfway through the hardwoods, I just started sawing. I didn't move far from command post. I just sawed...

2) It was cloudy and getting colder. We were in a hurry.

3) I have never seen a cherry that large. THEY had never seen a cherry that large. I thought it was an oak. They thought it was an oak.

It became  1xwides (12" and under) and 2x6s from the heart. I walked down the 6x6 cant and realized my error. I couldn't convince myself until I leaned over and gave it a sniff...  smiley_cry smiley_cry

I immediately owned up to my mistake. They have taken it much better than I have. I DON'T think I will make that one again.

CC

It's real easy to make a mistake when there are a lot of people around. Luckily I've found them to be more forgiving of me than I am of myself...  :-[

Delawhere Jack

250bf /hr that's a DanG good pace for milling 1x's.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!