iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Worthless looking logs

Started by Jeff, February 05, 2002, 11:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

When I was at Toms, he picked out this worthless lookin old eastern red cedar log to saw first. I would have put it on the big New Years bonfire, but I figure it was to far gone to even burn. Big Rotten holes, dozey, just plain junk. Well, I posted a link earlier on to my first project from the log. A wall hanging.

Here is the start of the second from that worthless log. I started it last night to keep busy "vent" somewhere besides here. Just me and the old sanding block.

Table Top or something? Big ass clock? Pretty board to stand in the corner? Whatever it is it will show itself as I work it.

Closer to the grain:

Any other examples of the beauty within an "Ugly" Log?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

Jeff, That  color looks a lot like some of the Sequoia I have cut.  It too is a very bright almost pink color when first hitting the air.  You have a nice something or other beginning to emerge from the cocoon of an "ugly log". ;)
Frank Pender

Bibbyman

I've always thought of country-cured ham or lean bacon when I've sawn some cedar that looks like that.

Nature's work of art!

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

timberbeast

I have so much stuff like that stashed for my own use,  I can't remember where all of it is!  No Red Cedar,  though!  (Looks like smoked Salmon,  maybe you could use your artistic bent and some small carving gouges to make scales).  Years back,  I talked my pop into pulling out a big,  junky yellow Birch.  Turned out to be the kitchen cabinets in my old house.  They do seem to "tell you what they want to be".  I'd post some pics,  but photopoint took my money and turned off their site,  looking for a new host to send pics........ :P
Where the heck is my axe???

Gordon

Guess one thing sure doesn't hold true with logs. Beauty is only skin deep----it's just the opposite, you don't hit the real beauty until you get rid of the skin. ;)

That piece has the makings of a nice patio table. That is just one idea that comes to mind. When I was growing up at our camp dad made a beauty from a piece like that into a coffee table. I'm not sure but I think he got it for free from the mill.

He used to have a field day at the mill. We used to have a small franklin stove. Well he used to get for free from the mill the cutouts for the pallet forks on pallets. (is there a special name for this?) They fit perfect in the small stove. Then everyone got the bright idea to burn wood and the mill owner started charging for them, boy was dad sad when they started charging money for them. Still next to nothing though.  :D

Gordon

Jeff

If nothing else, it don't look bad as a conversation piece and speaker hider!

Kevin

Hey, is that the Timber Buyers channel?

Papa Dave

Jeff, that looks good standing in the corner.  And to think that Tom not only gave you such fine wood, but he paid you too. ;D

LeeB

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has pieces of neat looking wood all over my house :D LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

JoeyLowe

Kind of looks like my place with lumber laying around or leaning against the wall.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Don P

woodmills1

dan that does my heart good. :D  we had our kitchen flooring stickered in the living room for 2 years.  i cant tell ya how many times i would sticker a customers order in the house till delivery. 8)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

Man, I feel closer to normal knowing others have lumber stacked in their house!  Ya'll got big saws too?

So looking at the other side of the room, you don't think  people will think I might be, um, a little, um, obsessed??

Hey woodmills, this photo easily fits in under the size limit. Did you ever go to behind the forum to learn how to make good pics with super low file size? The software is free on the web.

L. Wakefield

*DanG- you just sent me back in time- when we were cutting wood for the interior of the underground house, they took down about 4 or 5 black walnut. I have slabs, posts and other miscellaneous stuff down in the house there waiting til I 'get around to' figuring out what to use it for. I hope the theives haven't taken it. But it looks kinda ugly on the outside- they hadn't gotten it the last I was there. 3 times I tried to take some up here to my brother in law, but my husband kept shying away from it and saying 'he wouldn't want it'- that it wasn't standard size, imperfect, etc. I finally snuck a couple of pieces up when I was down there by myself. I can't tell you if he used it or not. But to see the pile in the corner of your room- and then the beauty you've teased out of that cedar- I didn't know what track I was on- and here is your pile letting me know I was headed this way all along. Truly weird...lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!