iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer package or flatbed trailer

Started by tmarch, February 19, 2014, 06:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmarch

shopping for a mill and wondering if it would be better to get the trailer package or just mount it on a flatbed I already have that sits most of the time.  Downside is my trailer has tandem axles and fenders to walk around.  + side is it would raise the mill and make for less bending over and should be easier to level.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

scsmith42

Trailer package hands down.  It will show up ready to use, with the appropriate supports, leveling jacks, etc already installed.  If you try to mount it to a standard width trailer it will be a pain to use.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

dgdrls

What mill are you interested in??  there is experience both ways

And depending on what your interested in I will agree with scsmith42 if you can get it already built
better of that way. 

DGDrls

thecfarm

scsmith is right. I have no idea what kind you are looking at. But look at thier trailer package and I think you will see it's easier to work around.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Definately go with the trailer package!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jmouton

trailer  package hands down

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Nomad

Trailer package.  Why would you try to reinvent the wheel?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Small Slick

Trailer package..... Unless you have the time, skills,ability, fabrication shop and ambition to build a trailer that is better than what you can purchase. A simple flat bed trailer is probably not better.

I built a trailer for my saw with my dad and I truly think it is better than what was offered by Woodmizer (my opinion). I will post pics soon, but I thought a lot about what I wanted the trailer to do and why I wanted it. A big deal for me is that I could build it as strong as I wanted and put accessories on where I wanted. I could weld and fab on the trailer without feeling that I was wrecking something.

Trailers are a good thing, if its the right trailer.

John

rimshot

I retro fitted a WoodMiZer LT10 to an old boat trailer.  It works fine and I love the mobility but you just can't beat a factory  built set of wheels.  I only have about $500.00 in my trailer set up but it would have been worth it to move up to a LT15 with trailer package even if it does cost $3000.00 extra.

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

tmarch

Actually the 2 saws I've narrowed my selection down to it's recommended to take the axle off and lower the deck to the ground.  One says it's recommended, but not entirely necessary, but the other it is necessary.  What that will mean is a lot of bending over or hauling timbers to set the mill on instead.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

isawlogs

I know that I would go with a trailer package.  Might want to reconcider your choice of mill if it is any possible. I think that working a mill on the ground will get old real quick. Its a big enough job when they sit at a comfortable height, you don't want to be bending over all day long.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Finn1903

WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

justallan1

I'd say unless you are going to build a trailer completly from scratch to fit your mill, definately go with a factory made trailer package made for that mill. Granted it's still winter and if you have the shop and knowhow you could probably save yourself some cash.
I bought a 16' trailer and built the track base up off the deck and it works, but there's a lot of wasted time and effort climbing on and off. If a log takes a wild roll while I'm turning it I've got nowhere to go, therefore more time and effort spent setting in bars for safety.
I'd have to think to center a  mill on a flatbed trailer, you'd have to have a pretty good reach or you'll be doing some climbing.

Allan

bandmiller2

It depends on how often you plan on moving your mill, if you will be doing a lot of small jobs at different locations by all means go trailer package. If the mill will be moved rarely transport on your flatbed. We have a few roadies but it seems most mills grow roots. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

21incher

I have to say trailer package. I first tried my small mill on the ground and there was to much bending over and everything had to be picked up to move it. Next I tried mounting the mill on a 16 ft flatbed. It turned out I had to stand on the trailer to mill so the bending and problem was the same at a elevated height. Finally I built a trailer and most of the bending and lifting problems went away. At the new height I could just slide the slabs off with no bending required and it was much easier to align and dog the log. Even if you plan on not buying a trailer for moving the mill you might want to consider blocking it up to a comfortable working height to save a lot of wear and tear on your back.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ocklawahaboy

Trailer package.  That dual axle trailer might be sitting still now, but with a mill around, it will be needed for many things.  Plus I second the other comments about ease of use, etc. 

dboyt

If I were getting a mill that required the axles to be removed so it can sit on the ground, I'd build a trailer.  That requirement says that that the mill frame needs more support than it can get from leveling jacks.  If the mill frame is strong enough to use with leveling jacks while sitting on the wheels & axle, go with the trailer package.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

najumcju

Quote from: dboyt on February 24, 2014, 09:04:52 AM
If I were getting a mill that required the axles to be removed so it can sit on the ground, I'd build a trailer.  That requirement says that that the mill frame needs more support than it can get from leveling jacks.  If the mill frame is strong enough to use with leveling jacks while sitting on the wheels & axle, go with the trailer package.

I was able to purchase a couple of inexpensive mini trailers w/ a little over half ton each rating from HF and some (8) swing away trailer jacks for leveling.  Added it to my Norwood and it has worked well height wise and for portability.  haven't taken on road but worked well moving around property, which is a lot hillier than the road.

scsmith42

Quote from: dboyt on February 24, 2014, 09:04:52 AM

I concur.  Had you mentioned the need to place the mill on the ground in the original post, I would not have recommended a trailer.

Instead, I would use a flatbed car hauler with a winch mounted to the front.  Add a block near the back to allow you to pull the mill either on or off of the trailer.

If you intend to use it on the trailer, then I'd stick with the trailer package.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!