iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Straightening a bar.

Started by luvmexfood, September 17, 2014, 06:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Had my neighbor/tenant pick me up a Stihl chain the other day while she was out. She used to work at a John Deere dealership that sold Stihl and still gets a discount. Just under $10 bucks for a 16 inch chain for my 170. Long story but I lost it. Went by myself and got a replacement. $18 bucks. Must be a big mark-up on them.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

JohnG28

I wonder if some heat would get a bent bar to go back to original shape? As I understand it, when large steel girders get bent they can usually be heated in up/down lines with a torch and will bring them back to their original shape. Not sure if it would work with smaller shapes like a saw bar though.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

I've had success with heat on laminated consumer bars which are darn near impossible to properly straighten. If the center laminent plate is cracked forget it. Being flimsy from side to side tells you if it's broken.

Solid body replaceable nose bars heat applied is not a good idea. These bars  have complex tempering properties.  Soft in the middle and hard in the rails, any change of tempering can actually deform these bars more .
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JohnG28

I suppose that would make some sense. The type of beam I'm thinking of is the type you'd see holding up a bridge deck or something, so not quite the same. Lot more material there.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

Quote from: JohnG28 on October 03, 2014, 11:09:59 AM
I suppose that would make some sense. The type of beam I'm thinking of is the type you'd see holding up a bridge deck or something, so not quite the same. Lot more material there.
With steel prices that they are today  that big beam would be worth in the thousands of $
Best they straighten it up the best they can :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JohnG28

That you're not kidding!  Those beams can be 70, 80, 120 lbs or much more per linear foot! But it depends on how bad they're damaged. There's a bridge north of me on the way to my camp that was hit about a year and a half ago by a guy with a feller butcher or something of the sort that was too high passing under. Stopped the truck from 55 mph in about 10 feet! And destroyed the first 2 or 3 girders from the north side. That bridge is still 1 lane today as the funds to replace are likely being used elsewhere in the great state of NY!  :D

Thank You Sponsors!