iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Root cellar is almost full, ready for a long winter.

Started by 21incher, September 13, 2014, 04:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

My wife and I have almost finished filling our root cellar. We have over 600 jars of Veggies, pickled veggies, and jellies we have canned so far this year. All GMO free heirloom varieties. Also fresh potatoes, onions, and squash from the garden plus a chest freezer with berries and peppers. This has been one of the best producing summers for our garden yet. Bring on that long snowy winter that has been predicted.

Anybody else enjoy going shopping in your cellar? 8)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sprucebunny

Very impressive !!  8) 8)

My garden didn't do all that well. Last year I had too many winter squash and this year too few...
I'm drying tomatoes right now and going to try drying carrots.

Wish I had more of a root cellar where I could control humidity. Nice job !!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

Nice root cellar! Put mine to shame. Mine is under the sun room,no cement floor,just small stones and 2 inch blue styrofoam on the walls and ceiling. But it works good, Stays between 42-48 all winter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

goose63

That's not a root cellar its a grocery store very nice 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

beenthere

Can you give us a rundown on the function of the blue and pink tubing? Suspect it is air control system.
Neat storehouse and now the mission will be to empty it over the winter. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

coxy

when did you say you were going on vacation  ;D  nice  job    my wife has been learning how to can   some real good and some really nasty  :-X but tell her its not  bad don't want a canning jar up side the head  :D

luvmexfood

Nice cellar. Reminds me of my sister. Since she retired all she does is can. Even bought a building, finished it out with sheetrock etc. Big recliner, futon bed, refrigrator, gas cooker running water etc. If it will go in a jar and can be canned she does it and ends up giving a lot away as gifts.

She went to a tomatoe farm not far from here and got them to can. Cheaper than you can grow them. 30# box for $6.00 local grocery chain buys them there and sell exact same tomatoes for $1.99 per pound.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

21incher

Thanks everyone.
Quote from: beenthere on September 13, 2014, 06:18:07 PM
Can you give us a rundown on the function of the blue and pink tubing? Suspect it is air control system.
Neat storehouse and now the mission will be to empty it over the winter. :)
The red tube across the top lets the hot air out, and the blue tube supplies the cold air. It acts like a thermosiphon system that helps pull in the cool air. They both go through the north wall and have screens on the outside to keep bugs out. There are just some dust collector gate valves that open and close the vents. Right now they are operated by hand, but in the future they will be automated so I don't have to worry about freezing everything up in the dead of winter.

Quote from: coxy on September 13, 2014, 06:21:25 PM
when did you say you were going on vacation  ;D  nice  job    my wife has been learning how to can   some real good and some really nasty  :-X but tell her its not  bad don't want a canning jar up side the head  :D
It takes a lot of time, but is worth it. Get your wife one of the Ball Blue Book canning guides and tell her to follow the recipes exactly and they will all be good. Just make sure she knows the difference between low acid and high acid food requirements.

Quote from: goose63 on September 13, 2014, 06:05:15 PM
That's not a root cellar its a grocery store very nice 8)
And the other side has a wine rack, and the shelf on the right holds the beer so it is like having a full service store.

Quote from: thecfarm on September 13, 2014, 05:10:58 PM
Nice root cellar! Put mine to shame. Mine is under the sun room,no cement floor,just small stones and 2 inch blue styrofoam on the walls and ceiling. But it works good, Stays between 42-48 all winter.
You are better off without a cement floor as it is easier to control the humidity. I just used 6 inches of fiberglass all around and the fiberglass mold proof sheetrock which seems to work well.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

clww

That's what I call being prepared. Most impressive! 8) 8) 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Oh yea,I forgot about the wine. The wife's son is aging some wine in there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Nice cellar!, but you don't have to ask for the snow! ;D you can still enjoy the goods without the snow! ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sawguy21

I better not let my wife see that, I would have to buy a house with a basement. That is one nice set up and very well stocked.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

21incher

Quote from: Chuck White on September 16, 2014, 09:31:37 PM
Nice.

You're well prepared for whatever happens!
Ready for a long winter and anything else that may come along. We do it mostly because the more I read about GMO vegies that are being created to kill the insects that try to eat them, I wonder what effects they have on me. Plus with Roundup starting to appear regularly in simple urine tests I don't want to be a long term test subject for Monsanto. :)

Thank You Sponsors!