The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Ethanol fact or fiction question?  (Read 6162 times)

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Ethanol fact or fiction question?
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »
I look for many more years than 4 out of my chainsaws.  ;D
My "new" MS361 is 10 years old now, and the 041 is 39 and running.

And have been lucky so far to be able to purchase non-ethanol gas.

It (ethanol) is a political hot potato, touted to be saving us regular gasoline and helping support the corn prices. Cars burn the same gallons of regular gas whether or not they add ethanol so there is no savings of gallons of gas there.
The corn prices are back down now as there is no demand for additional volume of ethanol (maxed out) so the solution to bolster the corn prices is to raise the % of ethanol higher than 10%.  So we get shoved further in the hole. 
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »
Ethanol can be a problem, but the biggest problem is people just not taking care of their saws properly.  Use fresh fuel, regardless of whether it has ethanol or not (the shelf life of ethanol/gas blends is less). Yes, you can probably get away with old fuel, and may not run into a problem (I know I've done it in the past), but why push your luck?

As far as mixing premium and regular gas:  In SOME areas of the country, you can get non-ethanol premium fuel. Around here, it's only the premium that is available as non-ethanol, and you have to search for a station that carries it (a few gas stations have it, and most marinas do).  I use non-ethanol premium because I can get it without much hassle. A couple of years ago, when that was not available in my area, I used premium or mid grade with ethanol in it. I had no problems, but made sure I turned the fuel over quickly.  If it got old, it got dumped in my lawnmower or car.

Personally, I would not bother with mixing two kinds of fuel. If I have non-ethanol available at the pump, I use it. If not, I use the E10 gas.  I don't buy the caned pre-mix fuel - way too expensive. I could see it might be worth it for someone who does not use their saw regularly, and was concerned they might leave the fuel in the saw for an extended period -- that stuff has some very good shelf life.  (I might buy a can or two if it got me the extended warranty with a new saw purchase that some companies are offering, but when it's used up, it would be back to pump gas for me.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Hitchcock Woods

• Prescribed Fire, Longleaf Ecosystem Management
    • Share Post
    • The Hitchock Woods Foundation
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2014, 11:20:34 AM »
We only run non-ethanol 93 octane in our 2 strokes.  Running ethanol here and there wont be that big of a problem but it can break down fuel lines, seals, carbs etc...
It is more expensive (~$20 for 5 gallons here compared to about $18 for 10% ethanol 87 octane), but worth it in my opinion.
Chain Saws         Vehicles            LogSplitter
MS 192TC          6100D x2     TimberWolf TW3
MS 391               L2800
MS 441              HPX Gator
346XP           Honda4x4 Rancher
372XP              4x4 Frontier
HT 101 x2
MS 311

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2014, 11:29:18 AM »
It costs about 10 or 12% extra to get non-ethanol premium (91 or 93 octane?) over the price of E10 87 Octane around here (not that I'd run 87 octane in my saws).  I've not compared it to the cost of mid grade or premium E10 gas, but my impression is it's fairly close to the price of premium E10.

For that little a difference, and the fact that I regularly pass by a stations selling E0 gas, it's worth it to me to use that in my saws and other small engines.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »
I use mid grade here in small engines as the refinery said ethanol is only in regular gas. And some brands here like Utramar, have none  in their gas at all. The prices per litre for each grade here in NB is the same no matter who you buy it from. It's a regulated price and there is no provision in that pricing for ethanol, only the grade or whether it's full service.

If there is, here show me, it's the regulated price list. :D

http://www.nbeub.ca/images/documents/petroleum_pricing/currentmaximumpriceenglish.pdf

Who benefits from ethanol? I don't.   :D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2014, 04:12:45 PM »
Have no explanation for Canada's regulations.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2014, 05:42:03 PM »
Who was it that said "You can get all kinds of answers, you just have to ask the right questions." :D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2014, 06:53:53 PM »
 :D This gasoline business is almost as much fun as the oil wars .I've heard of anything from Av gas to little special bottles you buy at the Stihl dealers for"homeowners " I guess renters can just use regular gas then ? Whatever floats your boat .

As far as non moonshine laced gas I did run into some last week .About 40 miles from where you take I 76 into Denver in of all places Nebraska .Purely by accident .In a ten island gas station I just happened to pull in the wrong island .Not paying attention I had almost ten dollars pumped in until I looked at the price 3.89 a gallon  :o.Shut it off at ten .The normal in Nebraska and western Iowa had been 3.19, about 20 cents cheaper than Ohio .

Offline trooperTdiesel

• Share Post
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2014, 02:42:26 AM »
when condensation separates the gas from the ethanol, theres no oil mix in the water contaminated ethanol it's only in the gas.

or if you are running the saw in a wet climate that can get some water in the gas tank.

also when phase separation happens 87 octane will turn in to about 84+/- somthing octane...
the OE requirement for any 2 stroke ive seen is 89 or higher octane.

a worst case condensation test to show how fast it can happen in the right conditions  :o
many Garrett 15s
have a 128 5'x10'x30' MD mill.
as well as worked at Mobile MFG CO in troutdale, OR for the last 1.5 years before doors closed.
you say David Wallace to Ron H, he will know me....lol
2 JD 440 loaders, B7100 tractor, 3 350 J\D dozers 
and many fords and isuzus

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »
Nice video.  one thing he doesn't point out is that it's not just water in the bottom of the jar, it's a combination of water and ethanol which is corrosive.

Offline Ford_man

• Share Post
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »
The last time I got 2 gal of Premium gas with no ethanol when I had it checked it had 5% , I Didn't think about the Regular gas with ethanol that was in the hose. Next time I will put 2 gal in the truck then fill my gas can.
 I have 3 Stihl saws , 0-41 /260/362 Had to replace the carb in the 260which is 4 yrs old, the 0-41 was bought new in 1974 and has never had any thing done to it. I used the same gas in all my saws. Yes I was told the carb problem was caused by ethanol . splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
fact or fiction?

Started by maple flats on Drying and Processing

14 Replies
Last post October 09, 2005, 05:03:33 PM
by Frickman
xx
Thoughts from the past. Fact or Fiction?

Started by New Brunswick on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 03:34:19 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
Walnut sawdust Fact or fiction

Started by Sawyerfortyish on Sawmills and Milling

34 Replies
Last post March 02, 2017, 07:54:43 PM
by tule peak timber
xx
Ethanol fuel question