iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spalted maple or ambrosia ???

Started by sandsawmill14, April 02, 2015, 05:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

would it be o k to use lumber shed 1x2 for stickers?  I wont have kiln up for another couple weeks then I will dry some stickers but I need something now.   Do you do anything different because of spalting or air dry like anything other wood?   New to trying to kiln dry wood so I thought stickers would be a good trial run. :)

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Tree Dan

From where Im standing that looks like Ambrosia Maple.
Im not sure but I would think It would dry as fast as pine.

Some one else may be able to help more.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

WDH

Maple must have dry stickers or you will certainly get sticker stain and ruin the wood.  Also, maple must have very good airflow, and in the very first two critical weeks of air drying, at a minimum, I would run a fan blowing on the stack to make sure that the air is moving well.  If not, you run a high risk of ugly gray stain in the maple. 

As long as the stickers are air dried, you will be OK.  Not sure what you mean by lumber shed 1x2 stickers.  2" is too wide for a sticker on maple.  You would be better off at 3/4" x 3/4" or 1" x 1" stickers to minimize sticker stain and the dreaded gray stain.  In hot and humid Georgia, without supplemental fans on maple in the very early drying stages of air drying, freshly sawn maple lumber will gray stain in just a couple of days.  That will severely lower the value.  Maple customers want the maple to be white and bright.  Blotches of gray stain make it very ugly. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandsawmill14

the lumber shed  1x2s are spruce  probably would measure 3/4x1 1/2 so I could rip them on table saw thats just all I could think of that would be dry right now.   thanks for the help smiley_thumbsup

sandsawmill14

Tree Dan you may be right . I went back and looked for worm holes and saw some in the bark on the two live edge slabs but none in the wood itself. Are the wormholes always visible? ???

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The coloration of the maple in the picture is caused by the Columbian Timber beetle.  It occurs in the tree.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Peter Drouin

Mine are all most ready to cut. :D :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sandsawmill14

peter whats that white stuff around the logs?  :) was 80 degrees here day before yesterday.   be sure and put up some pics when you saw them.

Tree Dan

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on April 03, 2015, 07:17:31 AM
Tree Dan you may be right . I went back and looked for worm holes and saw some in the bark on the two live edge slabs but none in the wood itself. Are the wormholes always visible? ???

Yes you will see the worm holes.
Ambrosia Maple is not a specific species of Maple, the markings and streeks are caused from a reaction of fungus on the wood walls (Soft Maple) of the tunnels that the beetles creates, and this is what they eat.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

In order for the streaks to extend up and down the tree, the tree must be alive.  Once cut, the streaks cannot grow.  Note that the streaks will almost always have one, two or three holes at the top...this is characteristic of the Columbian Timer Beetle.  The CTB makes the tree form heartwood (called pathological heartwood) in an attempt to limit or enclose the damage from the insect...then, there can also be a white rot fungus that comes into the wood and makes the dark lines.  Because of this damage and heartwood, it is common to find some small cracks after drying.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!