iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hay prices

Started by duke401, October 13, 2004, 10:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duke401

cow hay or as we call it grinding hay in sw kan, is 53.00 an real good [200+ rfv] 90 to 110, was just woundering what the price is back east.
duke

DanG

Haven't gotten around to checking yet. Gotta buy enough to get my 4 horses through our short winter. Probably high around here with all the weather difficulties. Most folks only getting 2-3 cuts, as opposed to the usual 4-5 cuts. You know the drill...drought followed by floods. :-/

There used to be a website called  www.haynet.com  that had some pretty good indicators. Might give it a try. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Well, shucks! I just tried the haynet link and it was a wash. I guess they ain't around no mo'. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ksu_chainsaw

here is a site that I found interesting

http://hayandforage.com/

It is for a free magazine for hay and forage growers and also has several good links, such as the USDA market report

Back home, in NE Kansas, i'm selling brome for 40 a ton, and horse alfalfa for 120, and our grinding hay is about 45 a ton.

Our brome turned out pretty short this year, but they ended up with 2 cuttings thankfully.  They had to keep dodging rain to get 4 cuttings of alfalfa in, but we the second cutting was all dry.

Charles

Corley5

$2.00 bucks a bale for 60lb bales picked up
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

redpowerd

2 bucks a bale, deliverd

i overheard dad saying beans jumped to 33 bucks the other day?: ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Dana

We sold some of our 4' X 5" round bales for $15.00 each. Good first cutting timothy, brome, alfalfa mix never rained on.
(Charlevoix Mi)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Roxie

Our area hasn't had good 'hay' weather for the past two years, but this year no one had more than 3rd cut of anything.  "Cow hay" is going for $3.50 a bale.  Horse hay is $5.00 a bale.  Alfalfa hay is bringing around $165 a ton and good grass hay is bringing $200 a ton.
Say when

Kirk_Allen

My dad has about 200 square bales of alfalfa for sale if anyone needs it.  He wants $2.00 bale if anyone is interested.  

This is good stuff that he feeds his horses.  

Kirk

SwampDonkey

I don't get it guys, hey was $2.00 a bale back when I was a kid 25 years ago. They musta been making big bucks then cause the gas was only 20 cents a litre and the labour $5.00/hr. Actually, I worked for $2.00/hr when I was 12. I used to work 3 weeks straight in harvest time picking potatoes and only make $150.00, I bought a bike one fall  :o . Gee I'de be able to buy one now after a days wages. You can still buy a bike now for $150. :D Something don't add up.  ::)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

slowzuki

Hay Swampy, we're selling our hay outta the barn for 2.75$/bale with people complaining saying they can get hay for 1.50$ a bale elsewhere.  I figure it costs about 1.50$ a bale to produce if you account for every thing.  You're right something don't add up :D

Frickman

First cutting out of the field is $1.25/ 35 pound square bale and $12.50/ 4x4, 400 pound round. I end up giving a little extra for free in the round bale since it is much cheaper to bale and handle. Second and later cuttings go for a lot more, depending on the quality. Hay out of the barn is double the field price, regardless of quality. Some people gladly pay me to store hay for them this way.

Roxie is right, it's been tough the past two years in PA to make hay. We only got 1 and 1/2 cuts this year, some once and some twice. Usually we get 3 and sometimes 4 in a good year. I can't figure hay prices out either, I'm selling hay for what I charged twenty years ago. The only thing that has helped me stay in business is increased mechanization has cut our labor expense. There are alot of small producers in the area who don't know their true cost of production and thus keep the prices down. It's a free country so they can do what they want I guess.

Many customers, especially the pleasure horse owners, are very cost consciouse. They spend $40,000 on a dually and $20,000 on an aluminum trailer with living quarters and then can't afford to buy the horse good hay. We round bale our rained on hay for mulch hay and store it outside. This year we had alot. I have customers who buy it instead of good hay out of the barn to feed the horse, and then wonder why the horse gets the heaves.  

OK, I'll get down off my soapbox now.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

SwampDonkey

Frickman, believe me I know where your coming from. Those kinda folks that keep the prices low don't realize their putting themselves under untill its too late. Its a cut throat world and there seems to be little unity between farmers on price. Too bad to.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

I could not give hay to anyone for free this year. Mixed grass. Cut it and let it lay. Other neighbors did the same. Northeastern Ky.
Bill

SwampDonkey

That's a shame too WH_Conley cause they ship hey across to the states continously when its in season and sometimes in the off season from the barn if there's demand. Do you guys know of markets that use the hey for mulch along new highway construction. Alot of hey gets used for that purpose.

Frickman

WH Conley,

If you have good, grass horse hay, and can make small square bales, you should have no problem selling hay. I send alot of hay to Virginia and North Carolina, especially Asheville and Charlotte. We contract with trucking companies to haul it from the field to the customer. Over the winter take a little vacation over to North Carolina and stop when you see horses. You should make enough contacts to move all your hay next year. I would sell all my hay down south, as it pays better, but it's hard to find workers to load trailers. There is only one way to load a 53' box, and that's by hand. I gladly pay $100.00 for a team to load a trailer. Two guys can do it in about three hours, for $50.00/each, or $17.00/hour. If they load two trailers in an afternoon/evening they make $100.00 each. Most work an hour or so and quit, they say it's too hard.

Swampdonkey,

I'm not looking for unity among farmers, that would border on collusion. It would be nice though if the ran their business like a business, not a farm from 75 years ago. It's kind of like the portable mill guys who compete with someone working on the weekends for nothing but expenses. When word gets out about their low prices the public expects it from everyone.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

SwampDonkey

I was under the frame of mind that it was the buyers that would be in collusion. But, I guess your right. Now that I think of how all the pumps change their gas price at the same time for the same price in town. ;)

Kirk_Allen

My father usually gets 3-4 cuttings each year.  The first cutting he round bails and sells it to his neighbor for $5.00 a bail for his cattle.  This is way less than others but he does it for a reason.  In our area the locals do a lot of back scratching.  When a neigbor needs something we all pull together and help them out.  Dad doesnt need the money so its his way of helping a neighbor who is struggling with a small cattle operation. He's been doing this for the last 6 years.  

Another example is one of his farm renters.  We know that we could get more yeild from a better operator who was up to date but the person who is farming it has been a freind to the family for 65 years.  Rumors that this person doesnt report all the grain properly and skims off the top simply roll off my fathers back.  Dad says. "If its true, then he needs it more than I do and he will have to answer for it when the his time comes".

I consider myself a weekend sawyer.  I do it for the love of woodworking.  I enjoy making a few extra bucks here and there but first and foremost its my hobby.  All things considered I do understand that if I were to simply do this to cover expenses I may upset other mill owners and creat an expectation of cheap lumber, however I strive to be competitive and fair.  By operating a hydraulic mill over a manual I am able to produce more lumber and offer lower prices.  This is simply an example of better equipment making the difference.  

redpowerd

im not understanding how he can sell hay for five bucks and still male a living?
theres gptta be some overhead involved?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

SwampDonkey

Red:

I here ya. I think the pencil needs some sharpening. No man can run their business like charity for very long. In my experience, the more you give the more the neighbors come to expect it. That's just human nature, and I don't care where ya live. Sometimes, it can contribute to negative feelings when some day you decide your not so charitable. ;)

The only exception may be some type of cummune, like which exists between a group a folks near here with religious affiliations. But, they don't contribute to the community as a whole. I don't intend to mention who they are cause they are good neighbors and don't bother any one. All I know is that it's a miracle that some people can do so little and have so much. :D

Roxie

"Ruined" hay in this area is never wasted.  Our first recourse if the weather takes out a field is to sell it to the Amish for 'stuffing' (or silage) at about $1.65/bale.  We've never run out of takers for that price in the Amish community.  Other area farmers sell 'down' hay to the mushroom compost industry which is huge in the nearby area.  
We've seen the duelly's with the horsey motor homes attached pull in the drive and argue the price of hay.  We tell them to get off our property.   :D
Say when

slowzuki

:D we have that neighbour!  I unloaded a semi-truck of 5$ a bale hay for them one time as a "the trucks here and only me here to unload it" job / favour.  Worked my buttocks off in their mow with no ventilation for 2 hours.  Fellow says thanks and heres 10$ for your trouble.  I didn't complain but I "haven't been available" to help for a number of years now.  I would have been happy to do it for nothing if they were the type to do a favour in return but they aren't!

QuoteWe've seen the duelly's with the horsey motor homes attached pull in the drive and argue the price of hay.  We tell them to get off our property.   :D

SwampDonkey

I have one uncle that I have no trouble helping out when needed. Used to help him put in hey when I was around, as it was trucked to his place from another farmer. But, my other living uncle is a different storey. He's one of the types that like to disappear when its time to work, including his sons. They are on opposite ends of the family tree. You know, the orangatangs.  ;) :D

L. Wakefield

I've been dealing with the same fella for 3 years. $2.50 a bale- 25-40# bales- if it's real light he'll let me adjust the count that I pay for and I take my bathroom scale down to the barn at the first load or so til I get used to how they feel. He got me started getting it by the kicker wagon load- I love it! I used to pick it up in the field and get it for $1-2/bale. My husband wonders out loud why I don't still do that- but now I'm buying like 1000-1100 bales/yr. Next I'll think about a conveyer.

I'm still thinking about how good Bro. Noble's round bale barn and operation looked- but with the Maine winters I'm just *not* set up for that- not yet.

I did sell almost all the cattle I wanted to this year- bought Mike a fertilizer spreader, paid for part of the hay, reduced the # of mouths to feed- planted my first little attempt at winter wheat- got it in kinda late but they are just starting to sprout..lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

bighoss550

QuoteWH Conley,

If you have good, grass horse hay, and can make small square bales, you should have no problem selling hay. I send alot of hay to Virginia and North Carolina, especially Asheville and Charlotte. We contract with trucking companies to haul it from the field to the customer. Over the winter take a little vacation over to North Carolina and stop when you see horses. You should make enough contacts to move all your hay next year. I would sell all my hay down south, as it pays better, but it's hard to find workers to load trailers. There is only one way to load a 53' box, and that's by hand. I gladly pay $100.00 for a team to load a trailer. Two guys can do it in about three hours, for $50.00/each, or $17.00/hour. If they load two trailers in an afternoon/evening they make $100.00 each. Most work an hour or so and quit, they say it's too hard.

Swampdonkey,

I'm not looking for unity among farmers, that would border on collusion. It would be nice though if the ran their business like a business, not a farm from 75 years ago. It's kind of like the portable mill guys who compete with someone working on the weekends for nothing but expenses. When word gets out about their low prices the public expects it from everyone.
how much do the trucks charge to go to asheville, if u dont mind tellin????

Thank You Sponsors!