The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: OldJarheads Milling Thread...  (Read 125324 times)

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: OldJarheads Milling Thread...
« Reply #1240 on: July 19, 2021, 04:01:02 PM »
I try to never split the pith but sometimes it doesn't grow straight ;)

For D logs, movement can occur but I've only lost 1 or 2 due to twisting and it wasn't splitting the pith that caused it (wasn't split in those cases) but rather stress in the log that I just didn't get milled out.

I've done a fair bit of paneling in the early days where I was just off the pith or even split it (before I learned not to) and had no issue at all with Ponderosa.

I think it's a very forgiving wood  8) and barely shrinks too (less that an 8th in anything I've milled out of it.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1241 on: July 21, 2021, 10:20:10 AM »
For the terminally bored (as my dad would say) and those who want to see the mill mods a little closer...

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1242 on: July 26, 2021, 10:32:30 AM »
Got some maintenance done on the mill, just need to finish it (oil change still to go, tighten drive chain and maybe some paint here and there as well as a fix on the umbrella stand) then off to mill up some logs on Badger Mountain near Wenachee.  Down to two days now but still a job and I'll go back 2 or 3 times by the sound of it.

Long drive but I like the guy and I had to do some work on the jeep since the suspension wasn't up to the task when we did the first sections of the BDR.  Here's day two:

Now, back to working on the mill and prepping it for another job!  But what do you do when not milling?

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #1243 on: July 26, 2021, 02:50:24 PM »
I sure miss west coast wheeling.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1244 on: July 26, 2021, 02:53:55 PM »
Tom,

I think we run school buses on roads like that around here in WV. :D :D

(Well, maybe not quite. ::)).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1245 on: July 26, 2021, 03:27:50 PM »
Tom,

I think we run school buses on roads like that around here in WV. :D :D

(Well, maybe not quite. ::)).
LOL I bet!  :D ;D :o -- of course I did see a school bus doing a water fording once...and one floating down a river.....yer neck o the woods? lol

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #1246 on: July 26, 2021, 06:05:19 PM »
Neat video and of course there is no way to convey he actual feeling or conditions on that road. I congratulate you for having a co-pilot that was game and had a sense of humor, which is critical. My wife would have gotten out before the first mile was done. We get some bad ones around here, but we have nowhere near those elevations involved of course. OTOH we don't have nice shoulders like you had here. The woods road I have driven in the hills here generally have a 30' drop about 6' off the passenger side of the hill, which is god enough to get you going.
 Speaking of School Busses in WV, I know a musician from Kentucky who taught High School in KY for 30 years. He told me that if you had a grammar school certificate of graduation that was easily transferable to a license to teach community college in WV. Is that true? :D ;D Anyway, that's what he told me.
 Been a long time since my 4 wheeling days, I got tired of fixing things all week to go and break them again the following weekend, nowadays all my off road time has some kind of productive work associated with it. Notice I did not say 'profitable'. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1247 on: July 26, 2021, 06:28:49 PM »
LOL you musta missed the good stuff where there was no shoulder!  :o

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1248 on: July 26, 2021, 08:43:41 PM »
Tom,

That was a pretty low blow and I am very disappointed to get viciously blindsided like that by some one I thought was a friend. I am pretty sure they have to prove they had at least completed middle school. :D

At one point we did have what lots of the administrators hated and called the "Taco Bell principal law". Evidently the WV legislature passed a law that if you had 2 years verifiable management experience you could apply for an administrator's certificate with the school system and become a school principal. They used to say, truthfully I think, if someone was a Taco Bell manager for 2+ years he could become a school principal. To make matters worse and really tick them off, I'd ask them "What's wrong with that?" Since my wife was a High School Band director with a secondary in Math, she had her share of very poor principals with few if any management skills. Most had been a high school gym teacher and coach then became a principal. Many had poor people skills, no experience preparing and administering a budget, setting priorities, adjusting to changing conditions, complying with regulations, and mostly managing the teachers and staff and getting them the support they needed to do their job. I still say an excellent principal does not have to have any teaching experience. You and I and any of us who managed others with skills we did not have. We needed to direct and guide that employee to get the job we needed done and interface with the other team members. 

Eric,

Your trip reminds me of at trip we took from Tennessee to North Carolina many years ago. I was driving a pick up towing a pop up camper. My wife had the map and was navigating. She found a place were we could cross the state lines on a dirt road in a national forest near Tellico Plains. I got to a T intersection and asked her which way to go. She said go right then 1/4 mile later she said "Oh no, we should have gone left" It was a one lane dirt road hugging the side of the mountain so there was no turning around. The road got so narrow and the drop off so steep she was scared to look out so she stuck her camera out the window and took pictures so she could look later. The kids were riding in the back with the camper shell. They were on the passenger side looking down all bug-eyed till Becky yelled at them to go to the other side. I am sure the added weight on the drives side of a 4 & 6 y/o child was all that kept us on the road. ::) I finally got to the end of the road at a parking area for hikers and a sign that said "Road impassable for vehicular traffic." :P That was not wanted to see. I think I bent the tongue of the camper trailer jacking it around. At one point I thought I was just going to have to disconnect and let it roll over the side of the mountain. We finally got headed back and stopped and asked a backpacker for directions. That is never a good sign and he asked where we came from. He finally said "Well that road should take you there but I did not know you could drive it." We finally got through to paved roads and Tellico Plains.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #1249 on: July 26, 2021, 09:52:41 PM »
Howard, I am sorry, you may be (and are likely) correct about that middle school thing, all I know is what I was told. Academia is SO unlike the rest of the world, but in that respect (management) it is the same. Some folks should not be in charge of others, it's just that simple.  When I cared about such things I would say there are managers and there are leaders, the problem we have here is that our managers have NO idea what leadership is or what it looks like. Managers do their job and check off boxes on a spreadsheet, leaders figure out what needs to be done, who can do it best, then support them to get it done.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1250 on: July 27, 2021, 08:42:00 AM »
Neat video and of course there is no way to convey he actual feeling or conditions on that road. I congratulate you for having a co-pilot that was game and had a sense of humor, which is critical. My wife would have gotten out before the first mile was done. We get some bad ones around here, but we have nowhere near those elevations involved of course. OTOH we don't have nice shoulders like you had here. The woods road I have driven in the hills here generally have a 30' drop about 6' off the passenger side of the hill, which is god enough to get you going.
 Speaking of School Busses in WV, I know a musician from Kentucky who taught High School in KY for 30 years. He told me that if you had a grammar school certificate of graduation that was easily transferable to a license to teach community college in WV. Is that true? :D ;D Anyway, that's what he told me.
 Been a long time since my 4 wheeling days, I got tired of fixing things all week to go and break them again the following weekend, nowadays all my off road time has some kind of productive work associated with it. Notice I did not say 'profitable'. :D
Truth!  In the video the road looks mild and easy to drive, doesn't look steep at all and even had me at times scratching my head LOL but then I'd put on another section of vid during editing and go "wow, look at the hood camp rocking and rolling back and forth like a bucking bronc!" -- it's funny how the camera hides what's going on sometimes but part of the issue was the springs were not up to the task at hand and so I was bottoming out repeatedly if I went faster.  My buddy behind me in the red jeep felt he could do about 5 or 6mph vs my 2-3.
My wife enjoyed it except the 5 1/2 hrs of crawling along on day two and the 9hrs of driving on day one.  She'd prefer going faster over shorter distances but enjoyed the incredible views we found!
When I got home I ordered the Metalcloak True Dual Rate suspension setup.  It's supposed to be a 2.5" lift and I didn't want ANY lift but no one makes springs for a load like this at stock height so I went with that.  Can't wait to get it done!

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1251 on: July 27, 2021, 08:45:14 AM »

Eric,

Your trip reminds me of at trip we took from Tennessee to North Carolina many years ago. .............. I finally got to the end of the road at a parking area for hikers and a sign that said "Road impassable for vehicular traffic." :P 
First, I am glad you made it!  Second, WOW!  I've been in some crazy places but that ranks up there with them all!  Yikes!
and since this is a milling thread lol I have to report that my job this weekend is being re-scheduled.  I'm actually quite happy with that though since it's hot, dry and there are some fires raging.  Rather mill when it cools down and is safer frankly....
SO I'll do other things like work on the jeep!

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #1252 on: July 27, 2021, 09:33:09 AM »
I ended up replacing my front coils with sway away air shocks. That made all the difference in the world. Also allows me to lift one tire 54" and keep the other three on the ground :)

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1253 on: July 27, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »
I ended up replacing my front coils with sway away air shocks. That made all the difference in the world. Also allows me to lift one tire 54" and keep the other three on the ground :)
Wow!  That's purpose built I'm guessing!

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #1254 on: July 27, 2021, 03:10:24 PM »
yup. I built it when I lived in AZ. I have wheeled some of the hardest trails all over the US. It has only been on its side 5 times :) never all the way over.

My avatar is before the air shocks.

Online VB-Milling

• Always learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #1255 on: July 27, 2021, 04:11:43 PM »
yup. I built it when I lived in AZ. I have wheeled some of the hardest trails all over the US. It has only been on its side 5 times :) never all the way over.

My avatar is before the air shocks.
Were/are you active on jeepforum under the same or similar username?
HM126

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1256 on: July 27, 2021, 10:15:28 PM »
I'm there as emcvay ;)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #1257 on: July 28, 2021, 08:39:16 AM »
at one time I was very active all over the place. Even the K5 forums when The group I wheeled with started the fullsize revolution.

Life kinda got in the way so I am not all over like I used to be. I sure miss those days and the west coast wheeling. East coast wheeling is usually muddy, rainy, and slippery.

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1258 on: July 29, 2021, 08:49:14 AM »
Life definitely gets in the way but I'm getting close to retiring (from my day job anyway) and have decided to go do stuff again!  At least, don't work so much, play more and live a little.

Not milling this weekend now either so will continue mill maintenance, planing some blue stained pine for wainscotting and hopefully get the suspension done on the jeep so I can get back on the trail and pick up the pace a little :D

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1259 on: August 02, 2021, 11:04:54 AM »
Alright!  Enough of that Jeepin' stuff for now!  Back to the sawmill!

So, years back I made an Umbrella stand but eventually the umbrella bit the dust and I got a new one with a knuckle that would allow me to tilt it, but I had to get the stand modded up to fit the new thicker pole so.....here ya go!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee on Sawmills and Milling

599 Replies
Last post December 01, 2016, 08:32:58 AM
by paul case
xx
2011 Pig Roast Thread (now the RSVP Thread Please let us know if you might come)

Started by Jeff on General Board

242 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 10:47:47 AM
by Jeff
xx
Woodworker asking Milling Advice / MS441C Alaskan Milling vs 394xp

Started by Pavilion_Wood on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post March 04, 2019, 08:50:01 PM
by Altamaha
xx
Help milling spalted maple (first time milling)

Started by mikebifolco on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 09:54:49 PM
by mikebifolco