iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

200TStihl) vs 338xpt(husky)

Started by DonT, January 27, 2010, 01:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

Looking to buy one or the other in the near future.Currently running a 335xpT and an echo 336T.i know the 200T is a legend but can anyone give me an honest comparision.i am leaning towards the 200T,but my local dealer sells husky.  Thanks Don

Rocky_J

There is no comparison. And I run all Huskys except for my top handle. Stihl could sell them for $1000 each and I'd still use them because they are so much better than any other top handle I've ever used. I spent years trying to convince myself that the 200T wasn't worth the price. I bought lots of other top handle saws and even had several of them ported in order to get the performance I was looking for. Then one day I finally broke down and bought a 200T. Within 6 months all my other top handles were gone and I had two 200T's on the truck. Been using them ever since. It's the only saw I've ever used that runs like it's been ported straight from the factory. Just throw away the muffler screen/baffle and retune the carb, and you're good to go.

bill m

I have 4 of the 200T saws and would not buy any other. A friend of mine is a husky man and has 2 of the 338 xtp. He says my sthils are better.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

DonT

Thanks guys for your input.You are confirming everything I hear in a lot of differant circles,guess I will have to start saving my pennies for a new 200.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Rocky_J on January 27, 2010, 01:54:34 PM
It's the only saw I've ever used that runs like it's been ported straight from the factory. Just throw away the muffler screen/baffle and retune the carb, and you're good to go.
I do believe they in fact are souped up right from the factory . If a person ever compaired port areas and timing parameters on a 200 as compaired to even large saws it becomes quite evident this thing was born to be a little hotrod by design .

sablatnic

Go for the Stihl, and I should know.
I am selling and repairing Husqvarnas!

BARPINCHER

That 200 is the better saw but I have run a 338 from new and it is still a great saw.  I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Serving hunters and the hunted with science based; non-traditional resouce management methods

Ironwood

Huskie guy, running used 338's and 335's that I got cheap. If yer buying new the Stihls are NICE. That what I'de get .

Reid  :-[
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Al_Smith

I've got three 335 Huskys in the shed ,all with the same problem,lousey oilers .

I did repair one by installing a new pump shaft which was only around 9 bucks if I recall correctly .The problem is you have to almost field strip that little rascal to do any repairs which includes the pump shaft .

I've heard but cannot verify that Husqvarna has remedied the bad oiler problems on the 338 model  which was the scourge of the 335's .

Jasperfield

I've got two 020Ts and one 200T. There is not a better saw built of any size.

sawguy21

As Al says, oilers were a headache on the problem plagued 335XPT. The 338 was supposed to be an improvement but I am not so sure. The 200T is the saw of choice for arborists in this area.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!