iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Record diameter for American Plum

Started by Junkman, February 08, 2021, 12:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkman

I have a question that I thought someone might be able to help me with. Built a new fence for the boss and had to take out several trees with one being a quite large American Plum. It had old wire grown into it slightly, but I saved it anyway for i am hoping to cut a couple gunstock blanks out of it or at least make something with it, for it makes a pretty tuff wood when seasoned. But after removing it, I got to thinking maybe that was the wrong thing to do for it could have been a near record tree. After looking online though, I could not find the dimensions for the record American Plum. Anybody know this or can point me in the right direction? Any info appreciated.

SwampDonkey

Never seen one. My book on 'Native Trees of Canada' suggests American plum is usually a small shrub, but can reach 30 feet and 12" diameter. Pretty much like Canada plum, except a little bigger in diameter. I don't know of any actual record plum tree out there.

We have Canada plum up this way and have seen them grow as big as apple trees, but mostly see them around 4" or smaller. Getting hard to find, they usually survive on abandoned lots or fence rows. Never seen one in the deep woods. Has orange-red fruit, makes great jelly. And can mix the juice in with high-bush cranberry for jelly to. 8)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Junkman

Thanks for your input SwampDonkey! Yes we have a many around here and yes 4" is about the limit before they die, but this one was at the 12" size, so figured it had been around a few years. Seen records on other sub species but not a regular plum.

thermos

MDC site lists 4 different species on the champion tree page. yeah that is very tuff stuff good luck with it! 

Missouri's Current Champion Trees | Missouri Department of Conservation

MISSOURI'S CURRENT CHAMPION Plum, wild
Prunus americana
Circumference (inches) 32
Height (feet) 24
Spread (feet) 43
Points 67
County St. Charles

Thank You Sponsors!