iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meet the pros

Started by Ron Wenrich, June 28, 2008, 11:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Here's the place for you foresters to strut your stuff.  We'd like to see who the foresters are, and what is their background.  We would like to see the following:

Degree:
Years of experience:
Areas of expertise:

After that, you can add anything else you desire.  That can include your professional affiliations, schools you attended, professional courses you have taken, your home address.  Don't forget to link to your home site. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Wenrich

Ron Wenrich

Degree:  BS in Forest Science, Penn State, 1970
Years of experience:  35
Areas of expertise:  Sawmill mgmt, fiber procurement, timber sale preparation, forest inventory and planning.  Primarily involved in hardwood forests and mills.

Past board member of the Pennsylvania Forestry Assn. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Texas Ranger

Degree:  BS in Forest Science, MU 1962  MBA 67 MU
Years of experience:  47
Areas of expertise:  All parts of a state forester for 13 years, fire, management, pest control, public information, etc.  The rest as a consulting forester, providing full service to clients from the individual to local, state, and federal clients.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Bill Crawford

Degree: B.Sc. Forestry, UNB Fredericton 1993

Continuing education courses: GIS in Forestry, BC Coastal Gully Assessments, Tolerant Hardwood Management in the NE, Tree Marking and Stand Improvement.

Years Experience: 15

Areas of Expertise: GIS/GPS, silviculture, timber appraisal and land valuation, harvest layout and supervision, small woodlot management and planning, forest products marketing.

Certifications: Registered BC Coastal Timber Cruiser #209.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Danny Hamsley

BS Forest Resources UGA 1977, MS Forest Soils UGA 1979.

Years of experience - 30

Expertise:  Wood procurement, Timber appraisal, Timber buying, Land Management, Forest soils, Tree and wood ID, Small mill sawmilling, woodworking.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

121 years of experience for 4 guys, not bad, but means we are a bunch of old codgers getting ready to retire, leave SwampDonkey to carry on the work.

Jeff

We have a bunch to weigh in yet.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Riles

Well I'm just gonna screw up all the stats. Don't think I even qualify as "one of the pros."

John Rielley

BS Electrical Engineering, Clemson 1983,
MS Management, Troy State 1999,
BS Forestry, Louisiana Tech 2007.

Years of experience: 1?

Expertise: Test taking, classroom discussion, being mistaken for forestry professors, reminding forestry students that "I have underwear older than you," filling out job applications.

Passed the NC Registered Foresters exam, certified NC pesticide applicator, small-scale pine plantation owner.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Tillaway

Bob Thurman
Mustang Forester  ;)

a combined 25 years experience in both public and private sectors.

Expertise: Timber Sale Preparation and Administration, Log Accountability, Timber Inventory and Valuation, GPS/GIS

Continuing education: Silviculture, Archeology, Forest Engineering, Riparian Management, Mensuration, Plant Pathology
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Dodgy Loner

Justin Tyson

B.S. in Forestry, UGA 2005
M.S. in Forestry, UGA 2007

Years of Experience: Depends on what you call "experience".  I've been studying forestry seriously since 9th grade, about 10 years ago, but I only have a couple years total of work experience.

My jobs have included:
Teaching Assistant, Univ. of Georgia - Athens, GA 2004-2006
Summer intern, Weyerhaeuser Co. - Columbus, MS 2004
Summer intern, Weyerhaeuser Co. - Washington, NC 2005
Research Technician, Aracruz Celulose - Aracruz, Brazil 2006
County Extension Agent, UGA Cooperative Extension - Clayton, GA 2008-Present

Areas of Expertise: Tree and Wood Identification, Arboriculture, Wood Properties, Turning Trees into Furniture

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ron Scott

Ron Scott

Degree: B.S. in Forestry, Michigan Tecnological University 1961 plus
12 continuing education certificates of 150 hours each over 3 year periods.

Years Experience: 51

USDA Forest Service 38 years
Consulting Forester 13 years

Areas of Expertise: Land & Resource Management Planning; Ecosystem Sustainability, Stewardship Plans, Environmental Analysis Preparation, Public Involvement, Timber Stand Improvement, Timber Appraisals, Timber Sale Preparation and Administration, Reforestation, Fuelwood Management, Wildlife Habitat Management (game & non-game), Visual Quality Improvement (aesthetics), Riparian & Wetland Area Protection, Underwater Surveys & Mapping, Recreation Management (campgrounds, trails, motorized & non-motorized, winter sports area planning & management), Utility Rights of Way Management, Wilderness and Natural Area Management, Forest Roads Management, Forest Fire Pevention and Presuppression.

Affiliations: Society of American Foresters (elected Fellow 1991), SAF Cerified Forester; Association of Consulting Foresters of America, Inc. Michigan Registered Forester # 612, Michigan Forest Association, Michigan United Conservation Clubs, National Wild Turkey Federation, Michigan Wild Turkey Federation, Friends of the Forests' (Huron-Manistee National Forests), US Navy and Fleet Marine Force (3rd Marine Division Recon) 1953-1957.
~Ron

WDH

smiley_chop smiley_chop

Ron,

That is quite a lot of wood that you have chopped, brother.  Keep on keeping on ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tonich

Toni Karov

Degree:  Master of Science in Forestry
Institution: University of Forestry, Sofia, Bulgaria (http://www.ltu.bg), 1997
Years of experience - 11: 
1.   Deputy Director of State Forestry Unit in Shiroka laka, BG (Public sector) 1997-2003
2.   Private Consulting Forester Shiroka laka, BG (Private sector) 2003-present
Areas of expertise:  silviculture, harvest layout and supervision, forest inventory, woodlot management
Silviculture: Coniferous forests, composed by Scots Pine (Pinus sylvestris), Austrian Pine (Pinus Nigra), Norway Spruce (Picea abies), Silver Fir (Abies alba). Provided different silvicultural system as Selection, Group-Selection, Group-Shelterwood.
Broadleaved forests, composed by Common Beech (Fagus silvatica), Oriental beech (Fagus orientalis), Pedunculate oak (Quercus robur), Sessile oak (Quercus petraea), Cerris oak (Quercus cerris), Italian Oak (Quercus frainetto) etc., tend by Shelterwood and Gap silvicultural system.
Specialty: Introduction of Selected Wood in even-aged coniferous stands.

Don’t know if it makes any difference, though.  :D :D :D ;)

Phorester

Been a State Service Forester for 34 years.  VA Tech graduate, 1974.  Experienced with both eastern hardwood management and southern pines. Lots of forest fire experience (Southern). Have written hundreds of forest management plans. Have done hundreds of prescribed burns, been on hundreds of forest fires.  Grew Christmas trees for 25 years.  Teach forest management topics, forest fire control. Give several talks each year to everybody from  kids to adults.  Certified Arborist. Enjoy a good discussion.  Like to solve problems.  Play a mean bluegrass guitar.  Do a little woodworking.

BWT

Degree: BS Forest Resource Management from Southern Illinois University 2008

Years of Experience: Working on it.

Area of Expertise: Fire Ecology, Southern Pine, GPS, and GIS (mostly ARCMAP) if you want to call it expertise.

Job: County Forester

Texas Ranger

Dang, Ron, I thought I was the old man here!

Riles

Welcome to the forum BWT. What part of Florida?
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

WDH

Quote from: Phorester on July 02, 2008, 01:06:48 PM

Play a mean bluegrass guitar. 

OK Phorester!  I play the bass fiddle.  Maybe one day we can hook up and play a tune in the forest around a fire (campfire).  We could draw from the food thread and cook up something at the same time ;D

Ron Scott

TR, yes, we're "old foresters". A few of us are able to go back and see the long term results of some of our work, good and not so good, but sure endorses the experience level. ;) I need to really retire one of these days. When I was 70, I said that I was going to quit, but when people call for help I seem to have a hard time saying no!

I was out again yesterday examining an 80 acre parcel for a management prescription. The doctor says that the walking is the best thing for me. :D
~Ron

Texas Ranger

Yup, just finished a 3000 acre cruise, not one of my more enjoyable outings, but it keeps beans in the pot.  It was a cruise only a forester could enjoy, big plantations, and being sold to an investment group.  The information provided to the buyers is, to say the least, not worth the paper it was written on.  One 300 acre tract had been posted with over $300,000 worth of timber, but when we drove up, the only tree seen was a corner marker.  Easy to cruise that one, more difficult on others.

I enjoy the work, would like to keep after it as long as I can, but some of it is getting a little more like torture.  That paint gun back pack keeps getting heavier, and heavier.

WDH

Quote from: Texas Ranger on July 03, 2008, 01:01:05 AM
It was a cruise only a forester could enjoy, big plantations, and being sold to an investment group. 

It is hard to enjoy any cruise in the Deep South in June/July :).

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I can't imagine the heat down there. Only in the 70-80's here and today was super humid. I was wet in about 15 minutes from perspiration of woods walking, even the cap was soaked and dripping from the beak.  Of course crawling across two big ravines with 70% slope can work up a good sweet in a cool day. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Clark

Degree: Forest Management, University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point, 2005

Years of experience: 3

Areas of expertise:  Since I'm in the Pacific Northwest now, I can probably pass myself as an expert in hardwoods!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

verb

Paul Verbyla

B.S. Natural Resource Management, 1979 Rutgers Univ.
M.S. Forest Economics, 1981  Virginia Tech

27 years in forestry

Consulting Forester in Virginia working for private landowners.

Forest Landowner in Coastal Plain and Piedmont Virginia
Chair of Virginia Chapter of Association of Consulting Foresters

www.verbllc.com

BWT

Quote from: Riles on July 02, 2008, 06:33:56 PM
Welcome to the forum BWT. What part of Florida?

I'm in the big city of Perry.

Thank You Sponsors!