iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Habitat renewal

Started by Remfarmer, May 03, 2020, 07:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remfarmer

I am a land owner and deer hunter. I have areas at my acreage that have a nice stand of mature timber. I refuse to have someone come in and cut it down but would like to thin a few trees to allow the understory to grow producing cover and food for wildlife. My problem is I cannot carry out the wood due to the terrain and distance needed to haul. I am 60+ and alone to do this. My question is how many trees should I cut to make an impact and should I cut them in log length or leave them as they drop? I am also so reluctant to cut those big oaks and beeches. Has anyone done this with good results?
Remfarmer

WDH

You could use herbicides to target trees to remove to allow light on the forest floor to allow herbs and forbs for wildlife to grow.  The targeted trees will die and provide all kinds of excellent habitat for birds and bees and critters too as they decay. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Autocar

Get a good logger and late in the summer when it is dry and cut the bigger mature trees out .Deer will use the skid trails like people use a side walk . My experience deer will visit a mature woods but prefer a young over grown stand for bedding and safety. Just my two cents  ;).
Bill

jb616

I would hate to see nice hardwood rot in the woods but you can drop them and leave them lay as they provide great bedding areas. I haul out my white and red pine, Oaks, and maple and the rest goes on brush piles.  Opening up my canopy, adding food plots and bedding areas as well. Lots of work!

Thank You Sponsors!