iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar River Kayak trip

Started by DPatton, June 13, 2020, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

I finally said enough is enough to work and took Friday off to spend time with my kids. I had arranged a kayak outfitter to get us on a trip on the Elkhorn River Friday morning. But at 8:30 am we received notice that the Elkhorn River was rising above safe level for paddling that day so our plan was canceled. 
Unfortunately I'm one of those dads who has often put work ahead of family so I know how disappointed they were going to be. I was determined to not let this cancel our time together! I made a bunch of phone calls and found a River outfitter 3 hours away in Spaulding Ne. They could get us in on a 3 hr. kayak trip on the Cedar River starting at noon. This was great news as I've always wanted to paddle the Cedar River but never have. We hurriedly packed ourselves in the truck and headed west northwest on our excursion. We made it there by 12:05 and got in on a really fun, relaxed paced River trip.
 My cell phone and I had issues with water very early on the trip so the only photo I was able to take was Jesse James playin in the River from the bridge at our takeout point. If you look you will see our kayaks on the left bank.

This is a shallow, small, low paced river that was perfect for Jesse. Being at the edge of the Sandhills the entire 6+ miles of river we saw was lush, gorgeous cattle country. I really need to take more time in my life for these things.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Walnut Beast

thecfarm

Quote from: DPatton on June 13, 2020, 11:59:34 PMI really need to take more time in my life for these things.
Yes you do. The kids will remember that for years. They might even be sitting around 20 years from now and be talking about these days!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Congrats on salvaging the promised day with fun and memories.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

That is their rocking chair stuff, good on ya  8)

We floated the Niobrara while out there, that was a fun one, stopped partway and hiked up a side creek to a waterfall. I was not used to the super clear skies you all have, one of my better sunburns :D

DPatton

Quote from: Don P on June 14, 2020, 09:05:37 AM
That is their rocking chair stuff, good on ya  8)

We floated the Niobrara while out there, that was a fun one, stopped partway and hiked up a side creek to a waterfall. I was not used to the super clear skies you all have, one of my better sunburns :D
:D :D I've been feeling some of that sunburn the last couple days myself Don. The falls you saw along the Niobrara was likely Smith Falls. It's been quite a few years since Stephanie and I did a canoe trip there. Farther down river is an area called Rocky Ford where they rent tubes for going over a low falls or rapids in the river. I forfeited a $200.00 + pair of prescription sunglasses to the river there on that trip :D.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

sawguy21

That is a wonderful way to spend time with the kids, they will treasure the memory. I have floated our local river, the Shuswap. It is a whole different perspective on an area I know well.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!