iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

394’s to the collection

Started by donbj, February 13, 2021, 11:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donbj

Just aquired these from a kind aquaintance. Three complete 394's and two parts units 394's. The three complete ones all have good compression but only the one on the right has spark. Came with a bunch of hardware and doo dads. These are going to be fun!

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

sawguy21

8) That is quite the collection, I hope you have a big garage. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

donbj

Not any more :)  Thinking of building something to put things in. Bit overwhelmed but getting things sorted out as to the direction I want to go

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

DHansen

Wow that is great.  Have fun.  

Guydreads

Can you tell me the secret to getting free saws? 

sablatnic

Quote from: Guydreads on February 14, 2021, 08:46:40 AM
Tell people that you are a chainsaw collector and the saws will start coming. The more you tell it to, the thicker the stream of saws.
Just my experience.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on February 13, 2021, 11:25:16 PM
Just aquired these from a kind aquaintance. Three complete 394’s and two parts units 394’s. The three complete ones all have good compression but only the one on the right has spark. Came with a bunch of hardware and doo dads. These are going to be fun!

I was looking for a good 394 for a long, long time.:-[  Great saw....first cousin to the venerable 2100/2101. After they dropped the 2101, they came out with the 394 and the 3120 simultaneously. Then they dropped the 394 and came out with the 395.

Spike60 would remember for sure, but those are all low top AF designs. Then they went with a high top AF design that required a taller top cover configuration. I can't remember if the high top configuration made it into the 394's or started with the 395.

Doesn't look like any of those big saws have the full-wrap. Fantastic acquisition! Be like someone giving me 5 2100's in various forms.:D

Kevin  

Real1shepherd

Quote from: sablatnic on February 14, 2021, 11:24:21 AM
Tell people that you are a chainsaw collector and the saws will start coming. The more you tell it to, the thicker the stream of saws.
Just my experience.
By now, most people in the US got wind of big cc ported pro saws and their collectable value. The days of finding a Husky 2100/2101 for $50 or 'free' have long since past. The same for the other marques. Boomers and Gen X's are willing to PAY for these old pro gals now...even if they never used them in their youth.

Still some deals up in Canada way though....

But yeah, homeowner saws can follow you home still.

Kevin

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on February 14, 2021, 11:46:29 AM
Quote from: donbj on February 13, 2021, 11:25:16 PM
Just aquired these from a kind aquaintance. Three complete 394's and two parts units 394's. The three complete ones all have good compression but only the one on the right has spark. Came with a bunch of hardware and doo dads. These are going to be fun!

I was looking for a good 394 for a long, long time.:-[  Great saw....first cousin to the venerable 2100/2101. After they dropped the 2101, they came out with the 394 and the 3120 simultaneously. Then they dropped the 394 and came out with the 395.

Spike60 would remember for sure, but those are all low top AF designs. Then they went with a high top AF design that required a taller top cover configuration. I can't remember if the high top configuration made it into the 394's or started with the 395.

Doesn't look like any of those big saws have the full-wrap. Fantastic acquisition! Be like someone giving me 5 2100's in various forms.:D

Kevin  
Cleaning things up a bit more. The saw on the far left is a 395xpg. It has the high top set up for AF and top. Wiped the serial tag off better. The rest are 394's. They are full wraps as well. The fellow I got these from was a west coast faller for many years back in the day. He worked on some heli logging shows.
The 395 has an impulse hose instead if one integrated into the carb mount. Lots of interesting differences to learn. The knowledge and history you guys post is valuable information.

donbj

I pay for the saws I get. This fellow would have given me these and I certainly appreciate that but I can't do that. Just doesn't feel right. Same as the big batch I came upon a couple months ago, the lady just wanted them gone, just take them she said. I gave what I thought was fair to her and she was happy and so was I.

sawguy21

There are a lot of old saws taking up space in barns and garages. I have only bouught two because they were in particularly good condition and ran, the rest from the 50's and 60's just followed me home. The owners were glad to see them gone.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Real1shepherd

Thanks for that side pic as I can see they are full-wrap now....great!
So do the 394's have the old-style impulse channel on the intake manifold, instead of the rubber boot like on the 395?

Kevin

donbj

The other four are the the other style internal impulse channel.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on February 14, 2021, 04:39:17 PM

I didn't know they switched to Walbro. Looks like the intake manifold is thicker than I'm used to seeing.

If you get a carb kit, be sure to buy separately the Husky carb/intake gasket to cover the impulse channel. However, don't know about Walbro's carb kits, but the Tilly kits don't have the proper gasket to cover the impulse channel.

Really liking this project!

Kevin

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on February 15, 2021, 02:13:47 PM
Quote from: donbj on February 14, 2021, 04:39:17 PM

I didn't know they switched to Walbro. Looks like the intake manifold is thicker than I'm used to seeing.

If you get a carb kit, be sure to buy separately the Husky carb/intake gasket to cover the impulse channel. However, don't know about Walbro's carb kits, but the Tilly kits don't have the proper gasket to cover the impulse channel.

Really liking this project!

Kevin
They went to tillotson on the 395. That's what's on this one. Acres' site shows that as well. This tillotson has two heaters on the carb. I haven't had any experience with heated handles and carbs, interesting. Is there a way a guy can test the generator to see if it is good? Piston is gone on this but the crank and rod are tight.

Gearbox

I had a hard time with a 394 . I rebuilt the carb still hard to start . rebuilt a second used carb wouldn't idle . Bought a new carb $160 all good now . A tip for you keep the shop door closed and latched or those 394s will go logging on their own .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

donbj

Quote from: Gearbox on February 15, 2021, 09:02:47 PM
I had a hard time with a 394 . I rebuilt the carb still hard to start . rebuilt a second used carb wouldn't idle . Bought a new carb $160 all good now . A tip for you keep the shop door closed and latched or those 394s will go logging on their own .
Sounds to me like you like yours :D

Real1shepherd

The 2100/2101 was Tilly all the way. That's why I said I was surprised to see the switch to Walbro. But you're right, Acres even bears this out.

Must have been a specified 'cold weather' package to have the heated handles and a heated carb. I know nothing about that for the 395....but love learning about the 394/395 iterations.

Kevin

Spike60

Wow, that's what I call project heaven. Be a lotta fun getting them going. @sablatnic is right about putting the word out there about being a home for unwanted old saws. They just start coming in. Plenty of stuff you're not interested in, but the interesting saws more than make up for it.  Never say no to an unseen saw. For most of those folks, you are helping them clean out a shop/garage of old saws they finally admit they have no use for. Many don't place much if any value on them. But as Kevin says, those in the know will sell them online and some will bring money that most of us wouldn't want to pay. Patience gentlemen. :)

394 and 395 aren't as similar as most expect them to be. (Parts swapping isn't anything like a 371 to 372.) Differences start at the crank and work their way on up. Things can be made to work, and you do have plenty of raw materials on the 394's which is good as a lot of 394 parts are becoming NLA. That one busted ckoke lever being one of them.

The high top filter did arrive on the 394, but the low top filter never made to the 395. Nothing wrong with the low top filter for a guy that actually cleans them. Same filter as used on the 262, 268, and early 272, so pretty common. Nearly everything on that intake is different from the 395, including the carb "base area", throttle cable, the works.

Heated handle components are all wired in series. Like the old Chrismas lights; if one goes out, they all go out. Most common issue is the element in the top handle getting torn. And just as often a saw that got banged up will have a non heated handle because the owner repaired it with the much cheaper standard handle. Other than that it's usually just busted/pinched wires. On saws that are all tore up, you can sometimes simplify things by skipping the carb heating and just get the handles going. We can cross that one when you come to it.

This'll be a fun thread, so keep us all involved. There's a lof of winter we all have to get through yet. Especially up where you are. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Great stuff, Bob...thanks. I thought maybe the high-top filters were in the very last 394's but not sure. I'd clean/replace my filters at lunch and never considered it an issue with any Husky/Jonereds I ever ran professionally. The high-tops are ugly in my opinion. Looks like a monkey doing bad things with a football.8)

I finally gave up looking for a nice 394 and bought a really nice 2094. No regrets....fantastic saw and equal to the 394 in every way. Saw friends have more old Jonsered parts than Husky anyway....lol.

I'm just kind of nostalgic about the 394 because it replaced the 2101.

Yes indeed, "project heaven"!!

Kevin

donbj

Just for kicks, here's a photo of 394XP beside the 2100. One main difference is the 2100 runs, 394 not so, yet!

donbj

Quote from: Spike60 on February 16, 2021, 05:05:25 AM
Wow, that's what I call project heaven. Be a lotta fun getting them going. @sablatnic is right about putting the word out there about being a home for unwanted old saws. They just start coming in. Plenty of stuff you're not interested in, but the interesting saws more than make up for it.  Never say no to an unseen saw. For most of those folks, you are helping them clean out a shop/garage of old saws they finally admit they have no use for. Many don't place much if any value on them. But as Kevin says, those in the know will sell them online and some will bring money that most of us wouldn't want to pay. Patience gentlemen. :)

394 and 395 aren't as similar as most expect them to be. (Parts swapping isn't anything like a 371 to 372.) Differences start at the crank and work their way on up. Things can be made to work, and you do have plenty of raw materials on the 394's which is good as a lot of 394 parts are becoming NLA. That one busted ckoke lever being one of them.

The high top filter did arrive on the 394, but the low top filter never made to the 395. Nothing wrong with the low top filter for a guy that actually cleans them. Same filter as used on the 262, 268, and early 272, so pretty common. Nearly everything on that intake is different from the 395, including the carb "base area", throttle cable, the works.

Heated handle components are all wired in series. Like the old Chrismas lights; if one goes out, they all go out. Most common issue is the element in the top handle getting torn. And just as often a saw that got banged up will have a non heated handle because the owner repaired it with the much cheaper standard handle. Other than that it's usually just busted/pinched wires. On saws that are all tore up, you can sometimes simplify things by skipping the carb heating and just get the handles going. We can cross that one when you come to it.

This'll be a fun thread, so keep us all involved. There's a lof of winter we all have to get through yet. Especially up where you are. :)
Thanks for that! Have come across some interesting finds lately. Where I am has lots of timber history with big wood. I'm sure there are more out there and keep the word out. Interesting how that goes.
You are so right about lots of saws I'm not really interested in that come with the process. The 60 saw lot I got was one of those. About 20 will be keepers, the rest I will trade with. Have some back to the early 50's.
It started out Husqvarna priority with Jonsered as well. Now it's evolved to Husky, Jonsered, Pioneer, McCulloch, IEL. I'm kinda partial to the Homelite Super XL130's I put together out of them as that was the first saw I bought back in the 80's. I'm too embarrassed to say why I don't still have that one!
Anyway it has been a bit overwhelming the last 2.5 months sorting out close to 75 saws and deciding what to keep and focus on but I think I'm there now. Husky still takes the priority, love these saws. I have quite a few at project state and it's a matter of eeny meeny miney mo now to decide where to start.
Anyway it's great enjoyment and fun and I really enjoy this forum for this. I can't put any sort of time frames on things as I'm still trying to find room for everything. I have dismantled a lot of saws lately and kept the best parts.
Looking forward to sitting down with some of these. Thanks again for your time and post

donbj

This was going to be my winter project. Picked it up last year. Git a few patch panels for it. But it works good for storing saws for now :D  Truck came out of Washington State.

Real1shepherd

Yeah, all the gnarly stuff comes out of WA state. ;D

Now we've got a running 2100 pictured alongside a 394....how much better can this thread get....lol!!

If you ever want to get rid of one of your 394's I got dibs!! :D

Kevin

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on February 17, 2021, 10:55:15 AM
Yeah, all the gnarly stuff comes out of WA state. ;D

Now we've got a running 2100 pictured alongside a 394....how much better can this thread get....lol!!

If you ever want to get rid of one of your 394's I got dibs!! :D

Kevin
I'll make note of that! It would be going to a good home for sure.

Thank You Sponsors!