iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

atv log loader trailers

Started by charlieh, December 17, 2009, 08:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieh

Hi

newbie on here, but been lurking about for a bit  :P

I am considering putting a funding grant together for a atv log loading trailer for hardwood thinnings, in the UK our wood fuel market is starting to pick up so even smaller timber is starting to become more viable to extract, as a result of this i could get 40% of a trailer paid for by the government, but i would like to hear from people with actual experience of them as there are several suppliers of the kit over here, but very few people operating it.

The bike pulling the trailer would be a honda rubicon, and most the thinnings would be no more than 14" diameter in 2 -3m lenghts at the largest.

I currently use an arch but would like to up production to something approaching a more financially small commertial scale set up.

So does anyone have any real world feedback, has anyone operated this kit especially over a longer time period,

many thanks

Charlie

sprucebunny

I can recomend the Honda Rubicon from experience. It will take almost anything you can dish out. But you will need to be careful about the tongue weight of the trailer.

Check this forum's "Toolbox" to see what logs that size will weigh.

My experience, so far, is that it's faster to load any log under about 8" diameter and that length by hand. With those small grapple trailers your reach is very limiting and all the associated manouvering takes up lots more time than either dragging the log over by hand or maybe using a small arch. Even if you have many 14" diameter logs, moving them to the trailer with an arch or arranging them for easy pick up will make a huge difference in the amount of time used up.

Welcome to the Forum !! I hope you'll let us know what you decide and how it works out. I would love to see pictures of forests in other countries  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

motohed

I have used ATV a couple of times when nothing else would fit , It worked , but I am not sure by what you mean your commercial standard would be . I mean the amount of wood you are looking to transport for each hitch , lets say . The biggest hurdle I can see is the the weight and balance of the trailer  at the beginning , along with how you would plan to load the trailer . That being said and previously stated that tongue weight would also be a hugh issue from load to load ,as would the actual weight of the combined capacity of the wood and trailer and the ability of your ATV to pull said trailer . Sorry the engineer is coming out now . I would suspect something with two axles would be better than one . It would also have to be light and durable . You would also have to come up with a positive way to load logs bigger than you could lift safely by hand , Like a minnie log loader . I have played with this idea for quite some time myself . I have some good Idea's but it seem like they are better geared to a very small hydraulic tractor with remotes . There are however some being made in the states here (this is a cue for someone to give you the links for idea's ). But scaling down a unit that you have previously seen in use in a larger scale maybe your answer. Good luck and keep me posted ,and if you have any questions PM me.

Hilltop366

Hi and welcome

Here is a add for a ATV trailer.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATV-parts-trailers-accessories-atv-walking-beam-wood-log-trailer-W0QQAdIdZ165106185#

Their is no loader on this one but I have seen one with a simple loader that was a boom on the front just ahead of the logs, It had a post going up and a piece running out, a hand winch (could be a powered winch) on the post . The post pivoted so you would pull up along side the log , swing boom out over the log , lower cable and hook up the log raise it an swing it over the trailer and lower.

charlieh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGfa1QH5cdU

many thanks for the replys this is a link to the type of trailer im looking at,

i suspected that the smaller logs would be quicker loaded by hand, but its the strain of doing several loads an hour, if it was just for me i would load them by hand but to be able to offer a sensible service,

the main thing is offering a service to small woodland owners, where larger equipment isn't as easy to come by in the UK

archertwo

That seems like quite the rig. You must have some pretty flat land thereabouts.
You'd think the ATVs would be hard pressed to haul such a load.
I know that around here in the hardwood ridges the ground would have to be frozen or it would have to be pretty dry to get around with all but the self-propelled version.

I saw an ATV loader/log trailer, I think on YouTube, where the wheels can be hydraulically pushed/pulled to either position the load for an easier haul or to balance the weight on the ATV tongue and the trailer.

I've never seen one of those in action though I've used various size loaders myslef. We've got two Patu 597 loader/log trailers.
Husqvarna 254XP x3
Red Max 5300 x3
Kubota 62 & 85 HP two 203T loaders on 9 Ton wagons one with a 40LF PATU delimber & GMT 035 felling head
homemade firewood processor
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxLwTiRxf3c
www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01xr7dVAAA
Road Trail 7X12-14,000## Dump Trailer

Jasperfield

As I was about to say...Fairly level land makes a world of difference. That machine is really quite capable. I'd love to be able to use one here, but I can't. The land is just too steep.

charlieh

It would be used on level ground if it was on reasonable slopes i would just pull out to a loading area with the arch, but in fairness most woods round here are on level ground, and not many get bigger than about 5ha's in one block, so im never going to be hauling huge distances,

im hopefully going to get a demo after christmas of a couple of machines, so i will feed back on the different designs,

I have seen a video of one on youtube with a hydrulic adjusting axle so you and get the balance right if the trailer is loaded or not, but most are fixed in position for loaded which is fine as its never going to put huge amounts of pressure on the back of the bike, not compared to some atv implements

thanks

Charlie

Ironwood

SURGE brakes would make a huge difference.

ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Walnut Beast

Sponsor Woodland Mills makes a pretty nice MultiLander ATV trailer. Does anybody have one ?

Thank You Sponsors!