iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1978 homelite xl12 for granberg mini mill?

Started by Upstatewoodchuc, March 29, 2018, 08:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upstatewoodchuc

so first off, hello everyone, ny nynyne is Pat, new to the group here! I recently after years of doing firewood got iinto milling with a granberg Alaskan mk3. So far so good and I've had a blast, but I'm starting to think about ways to boost productio. it seems that when making beams I would save a ton of time if I had a granberg mini mill to do the downward side cuts with instead of flipping the log. That being said, I use a 1996 Husqvarna 394xp with a 36" bar in my Alaskan, and a 2016 husky 365 with a 20" bar for everything else and I like it to too much to dedicate to a jig for just milling, I'd like something I could leave set up. So that brings me to the other candidate, I have a relatively low hour 1978 xl12 homelite weearing a 16" bar, I think the torque and fact that the saw is cheap makes it perfect for a dedicated mini mill saw, do you guys think k I would kill myself using this thing or will it be too slow to be effective? Never milled with an old low rpm saw before
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

Al_Smith

I also have a mini mill of which I've ran both a Stihl 048 and a McCulloch SP 125 .With the Stihl which probably has 50 percent more power than  that old Homelite it is slow as a snail .That's just my observation .However you'll never know if you don't try it .

Upstatewoodchuc

Fair enough, I have the mini mill on the way so I guess I'll know soon lol. I was thinking it might make decent use of the homelite which just sits ever since I got that new 365 husky  8). I guess I was on the train of thought that the old low rpm and high torque saws might be perfect for milling, the side cuts would only be 8 or 10 inches once irun the big Alaskan and 394xp through it..
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

chet

I see by your pics that you have the rare anti-vibe version of the XL12.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Upstatewoodchuc

Bahaha I remember when first got that saw, I stopped by my local shop to get a chain and the old guy gets this funny look on his face, goes into the back and proceeds to come out with a piece of foam wrap and says "you poor guy, you can have this" lol.

sawguy21

:D :D I have an XL-12, I know what you mean. It's worth a try but I don't think the saw will be overly happy with you.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Upstatewoodchuc

Man, I'm having a heck of a time posting pictures, none the less you guys are probably right. I'll have to relegate this one to the trail saw for bringing on a quad. Then that means I'll need another saw... It's a sickness I tell you  ;D

petefrom bearswamp

I like the anti vibe option on that saw.
I ran bot xl and super xl saws in the 70s doing timber stand improvement.
My hands sometimes got numb by day's end.
I also ended up with carpal tunnel syndrome which I blamed on those Dang saws.
I still have my '73 super.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Al_Smith

The design of that saw is probably the most copied of any make or model .Good solid tough built .Many are still running but you don't see many used today .I think Homelite much like McCulloch just failed to change with the times  ..

I have one myself which at the moment is just a shelf queen .It has compression and spark I just haven't taken the time to delve any further into it .I will get it running but then again it will most likely be like the rest of my older saws .Make a few cuts,say that's nice and right back on the shelf with the rest of the queens .

NCFarmboy

All saw nuts have an XL SXL or 3.   I do.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

petefrom bearswamp

Last time I ran mine was at my ADK camp about 5 yrs ago.
Sat there with ethanol gas in it and would start in 4-5 pulls.
I was going to sell it on ebay but has too much sentimental value.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

JohnW

Hey upstate, I couldn't tell you about the homelite, but the mini mill isn't so terrible to put on and take off that you need a dedicated saw.  It is pretty clumsy, but it's still only a 5 minute operation.

You're right, the mini mill will save lots of time for making the second and third cut.  Just look out for the saw dust that it loves to throw up in the air, since the bar is vertical

Happy milling

Thank You Sponsors!