iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking about making a big slabber

Started by paul case, January 05, 2013, 10:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

I have gotten a few big logs here lately and they have got me thinking about building a big slabber. I am thinking bandsaw, Probably will be powered by a Kohler 25  and run on trailer tires. I am actually thinking about running it on my concrete floored shop, Which is pretty smooth. I can move the log in there with my forklift  and set it on a cradle so it cant roll.

I am just thinking a plain and simple sawhead that I can push by hand and that would run on steel wheels and raise up and down.  I am looking to make at least a 60'' cut.
I am looking to split  big logs so they will fit the LT 40 or make slabs for table/counter tops.

Is anyone out there doing this or am I going to be the ginnie pig?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

mikeb1079

i think it's a great idea.   8)  one (of several) mistakes i made when i built my mill was that i made my upright posts only about 24" apart.  with the larger bandwheels i used i probably could've gotten close to 36" of cut if i would've built it that way.  now granted that's not as big as your thinking but it would've been nice. 

besides, unless you're customsawyer it's really hard to freehand quarter giant logs.   ;D ;D  mine always turn out terribly and i end up wasting a ton of wood.    :embarassed:
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Meadows Miller

Gday Paul

I reckon It will work I have thought of the Same thing over the years for busting up bigguns using steel wheels But I have always had access to a 3120 with 4' bar or a Lucas though . But the tires should work just as well Id plan on running a heavy gauge band like 2" x .055 or something like that on the wide cuts though Mate  ;)

Yes you are the Gunnie Pig from the looks of it but I have seen pics of similar mills running over the years with the track on the concrete and WM Big Boy does the same Mate  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

JustinW_NZ

yeah, the WM1000 does 67" (1.7m for us metric folk) which is pretty huge.

Perhaps go have a look at one if you can to get some ideas?
Videos on youtube otherwise...

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Meadows Miller

Gday Justin theres a Forester 150 in you neck of the woods BIG 1.8m x7.5m or 6'x25' log capacity with 120hp ford diesel motor 6" band dogging the rest for $55k i think we have a member here Building them of the original plans in the UK again there is still alot of big logs out there aint there Mate  :) ;) :D ;D ;D ;D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

shelbycharger400

I built a chain bar slabber 27/28 in dia,  planning on building a bigger one, planning a 7 foot bar.   One tree would pay for the home built mill.  The holdup is no cashflow for it right now.  The tree is standing still.  More are around too.

Those 24 in dia good steel wheels for a bandmill cost a fortune!  I cant imagine the  bands are cheap either.

paul case

I was actually thinking of it rolling on steel wheels on my concrete floor. The band will probably run on belted wheels or pneumatic tires.

I am a cheapo. PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

VictorH

I could be wrong but I think you will need some kind of guide bar attached to the floor to keep the blade from pulling the sawhead into the log.  Just a thought.
Victor

Satamax

Yes Paul, prety sure you need a way to counteract the cutting drag. And besides, running on your shop floor has another downside to it, you will have to brush your "track" after every cut.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Cypressstump

There are various types / sizes of tracks and rollers that can be used cost effectively.
On my little 1220 mill I have a rolling frame/hoist that I use to turn larger logs and cants using the winch instead of my back.

You could even make your base track frame to where it would not necessarily have to be bolted permanently to the shop floor, or even use drop in type anchor bolts that can be removed if the mill is not used and not interfere with the floor surface.

Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

pineywoods

Hey Paul, just stretch the head on the mizer  ;D There's a post on here somewhere with pics of a guy who did that. Opened up the throat on an lt40 by another couple of feet. That was posted right after I opened my big mouth and said anything that could be done to an lt40, I had done. It looked like a fairly easy mod, everything is still the same, just longer.. He just spliced the beam that supports the idler wheel and the square bar for the guide roller.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

hackberry jake

I have thought about building a chainsaw slabber before. I was thinking of building one as a trailer. Two ibeams about 7' apart that the carriage rolls on. The ibeams would be about 7' above ground level. That way you could just back it over the log and start cutting. Hardly any set up. Just a wild imagination and not enough time or $ to see it happen.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Al_Smith

Somebody makes a big slabber with a saw bar and a 10 HP three phase motor .Forgot who it was .

On that ripping down Gerry B. talks about ripping down big coast redwoods with a chainsaw that were too large for a west coast mill so they had to be absolutely huge .I can't imagine ripping a 10-12 foot diameter log with a chainsaw .What a miserable job that must have been .

paul case

I thought about stretching the head on the old LT40 but I really like it just the way it is.  ::)   I have never been around a chain slabber but I did quite a few big slabs on the EZ Boardwalk and they were 30'' to 36'' and it did real well. That is 1 reason I was thinking bandsaw instead of chain. The other is speed. I know a chainsaw ripping a 30'' oak is slow butI could do it with some speed on the old boardwalk at only 20 hp.

Still just thinking. PC
pc

shelbycharger400

hackberry jake

The thinkin is the easy part... It's the doing that tricky  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!