iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circular mill research

Started by Jim Fahlin, January 03, 2019, 08:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Fahlin

Bump, I am finally back to researching this mill! More pictures and casting numbers coming soon. 

Is there anything I should measure for sure when I go back?
The Moose

Jim Fahlin

The Moose

Jim Fahlin

The previous pictures were upper dog and headblock area. Here are some more from the setworks, 

The Moose

Jim Fahlin

The Moose

Jim Fahlin

The Moose

Jim Fahlin

The Moose

Jim Fahlin

The Moose

Jim Fahlin

The pictures of the underside on the gears and the main shaft bearings here, these are the best I can take without taking the platforms off.
The Moose

Jim Fahlin

Another from the setworks.

The Moose

Jim Fahlin

These are from the headblock area.
The Moose

luap

I have an American No 1 and my set works looks identical to yours except for the pawl lifting parts. That just reinforces that parts were used from various sources to assemble a mill.

I was fortunate that my mill has the original name plate.

luap

I don't know how things worked in industrial foundries but my own opinion about casting numbers is they had more to do with cataloging the actual patterns used rather than the finished casting.  

moodnacreek

The scale on the headblock base looks American also.  And as I remember American's used square pegs in the guides. It is interesting the different style guides used. I think any made from cast are easily broken when a bad log breaks while being sawed.

moodnacreek

Quote from: luap on December 17, 2019, 03:18:28 PM
I don't know how things worked in industrial foundries but my own opinion about casting numbers is they had more to do with cataloging the actual patterns used rather than the finished casting.  
I agree for the most part but when I was restoring john deere G.P.'s the parts book listed the casting numbers and part numbers. That was part of the fun, working on iron from a simpler time.

moodnacreek

Quote from: luap on December 17, 2019, 03:18:28 PM

Jim Fahlin

So there is a chance this could also be an American mill parts collaboration, too, huh? 

Keeps getting interesting on this research adventure.

Is American a current company still manufacturing, or bought in yesteryear?
The Moose

luap

Jim Fahlin

Kool, is there any place that sells specific American replacement parts, or, is this a machine shop or industrial hardware store trip each time something needs to be replaced?
The Moose

moodnacreek

American Sawmill Machinery, I believe, made it into the 50's. The newest brochure I have is not dated but the mill they are advertising was a portable made of steel with roller bearings. They had been a large wood sawing machine builder. In the end they made the uni point radial arm saw that are still found today.  You would have to have parts made by a machine shop. This is true of almost all the old mills. The dealer; Harry Schell Sawmill did have some American parts until they sold out by auction in October.

Whistlepig

Our number one American setworks, guides, and headblocks are identical to Jim's. We have the original name plate as well. I wouldn't worry too much about replacement parts. 25 years of weekend sawing and we have yet to wear anything out. Keep it greased and oiled and it'll outlive you. 

Thank You Sponsors!