iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adding a skidder to the show

Started by madmari, July 05, 2011, 07:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

I am ready to add another skidder to my operation to increase production and to have a back-up machine.

There is a TJ 208D for sale locally, in good shape. Anybody have experience with 208 and 225 models? I have a 230D now and like the simplicity and ease of maintenance.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Bert

I wouldnt trade my 225 for anything. For a smaller skidder, it can really pull its weight. Breakdowns are rare, but should a problem surface working on them is easy and parts abundant. They really are an amazing machine for what they are designed. Its a very simplistic and basic approach that a working man can appreciate.
Saw you tomorrow!

quietrangr

Those were always my favorite size. Not a lot of difference between the two. I had a 225 until I bought a forwarder. Try to find one with a Cummins or Ford engine. Not too happy with 353 Detroit.

madmari

Any axle or panetary problems? Heard they were light duty compared to a 230.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

FFLM

I have a 208 and the the axels and planets are light, you can pull a 500 ft hitch, and as long as you are easy on her she will not let you down.  I have heard turning hard with a hitch will result in self destruction. I like my skidder but wish it had the axels out of a 225 or 230. I guess it would depend on the price. 
Good luck
FFLM
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

smwwoody

they are both great little machines.  208 planets are a little on the light side.  just look at the 3 brass pins that come through the planetary cover of the 208  if there is any oil weeping around them they will need some attention.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

HuZzEy

If the axles are rockwell pr52's in the 208 they are light I bent a planet gear shaft in my treefarmer they are brass and pressed in and have a set screw just in case it loosens up witch thats what mine did and broke the set screw off I got a new used planetary from nash for $334. this axle now that I have one I see them every where in case w-14 loaders mostly today I saw one on a IH backhoe. I wouldn't be affraid to buy another skidder with them alot of planterys break and often it's just how you use it

Thank You Sponsors!