iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This saw... We call it... "the arm chopper".

Started by Greysonvalleyrr, February 16, 2020, 03:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greysonvalleyrr

This was posted in an ad for sale, Looks really scary.

This saw is a fantastic specimen of early woodworking equipment. It is an early 1900s swing saw, with an old Craftsman motor added on. Sales of the Model 5 started by 1927, the patent was received 1928, and the patent number is on this machine--so the date of this machine is 1928-1930s.

This beauty is a Heston & Anderson Model 5 "Portable Woodworking Machine". And believe you me, "portable" then is not the same as today. This baby is heavy (with stand, about 400 pounds, we are guessing). Considering the age (almost 100 years), this is is excellent shape. It has been indoors and cared for. See the photos. There are some rusted areas but the finish at the top is like new, beautiful.

The saw is bolted to a cast iron base. Together, saw and stand are is 68" high. Ten-inch blade. Blade included.

You move the saw by holding the grip between the spinning blade and the spinning belts. (See photos) Not for the faint of heart. Do not wear long sleeves or jewelry while operating. omg. Note the power switch, right by the blade. omg.

longtime lurker

Yup, built back in the days when employees were expected to come fitted with enough brain to know things like...don't put your hands in the bitey bits.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

moodnacreek

Last I knew those H+A swing saws where still made.

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Jeff

We had one that was alot like that at the mill I worked at. It was used constantly for all sorts of chores.  I think ours had a larger blade. When they get a little dull they will climb the wood and come after you so you best be hanging on and paying attention. We never had an injury on ours but it was probably the machine with the most potential to get someone.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ellmoe

Inherited one like that when I bought this mill site. Still sitting in the back corner of the shop where it has been for 30 plus years , but one day....
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Don P

I doubt it is any more dangerous than a radial arm, which is usually considered to be the most dangerous tool in the shop. I've wondered with both whether it would be worthwhile to have a shock absorber type cylinder to limit stroke speed when they try to grab and run over the work.

Peter Drouin

Mine works well to trim grade stakes.

Runs on 220. A hole is where the ends fall into a box. the hole closer to you is to grab the bundle of 10 and not put your hand in front of the blade. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Ours cut tens of thousands of landscape and concrete form stakes. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

twobears

after the saw I ran that's nothing..picture this...two babbit bearings mounted up in the timbers of a pole barn.a shaft with a flat belt pulley running thur them with two beech 2x4s hanging down from said shaft by bearings a sawshaft with a buzzsaw blade on the lower end of the beech 2x4s.a flat belt going around both shafts to drive the blade and another belt coming from a 50 hp electric motor to drive the saw,the 2x4,s had 3/8,s plywood acrossed them as a belt guard..now that's scary..i quit because of that saw then the builder tore it down after he had to run it.

btulloh

HM126

Thank You Sponsors!