iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free logs & can't cut 'em...

Started by Engineer, July 05, 2004, 04:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Got two friends who have been clearing their land, one for a house and t'other for a garage.  They both said I could come get what I wanted, log-wise, and haul it off for free.  So I got about sixty logs, probably 4000 board feet scaled.  Pretty even mix of beech, soft maple, sugar maple, white oak, and red oak, and two huge butternut logs.  

Anyway, all gloating aside, there's no way I have the time to cut these within the next two months.  What's the best way for me to preserve them as best as possible through the heat of summer, making sure that they are still worth something come September, when I can get a blade in them?  The sugar maple has been down for a while, may be worth nothing but firewood, but the rest is all cut within the past week to ten days.  I have sealed the ends, and put them up on supports.  Is there anything else I should do?

dewwood

Sounds like you have taken pretty good care of your logs.  You are right about the maple, it may be stained by the time you get to it but the lumber is still ok.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Jim_Rogers

Down here in my area, when they are storing logs for a while and are at risk of bugs, they put a sprinkler over the pile and keep a mist of water on the logs. Besides wetting the bug as it flies into the mist, I was told this helps prevent log staining but that was with pine. I'm not sure how this applies to your type of wood.
Is there any way for you to keep them wet?
What you have done with the end sealer and stacking up off the ground is good.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Tom

That's what we do too, Jim.  Keep the humidity up and the fungus' won't grow. (algae might but there's no harm).  The favored thing to do is roll them off into a pond and sink them.  Don't let them alternately get wet and dry out.  That causes rot. :)

CHARLIE

I know that for lumber, mold and fungus in the wood is a bad thing. But for a woodturner, it's a good thing. Makes some mighty beautiful turnings.

If that maple is spalted pretty badly, just cut it into 5 or 6 inch slabs and market it to some woodturners.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!