iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Current Emerald Ash Borer Information.

Started by Jeff, March 03, 2005, 02:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtLast

SwampDonkey

Natural Resources Canada is also studying ways to control or eliminate the spread of the spruce long horn beetle. Currently, it's only in the Halifax area where it invaded sites devastated by hurricane Yaun. Another Asian import.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

It was just reported on our local news, www.9and10news.com that the emerald ash borer has been confirmed for the first time in Brimley in Chippewa county.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Don't know how many of you have Consumers Energy, but in the little news letter that comes with the bill is a piece on EAB.

Corley5

I heard about it this morning.  It was found in the state park there.  Probably been there at least a year and probably longer
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dana

I saw the same thing on the news this morning also. What disappointing news. Hope it is only an isolated case but I bet it isn't. Maybe some of the people who are still sneaking firewood to the U.P. will take the time to think what damage has been done by this action, and stop doing so before it spreads further.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Corley5

It's going to be interesting to see what's found when all these trap trees are examined
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Attached is the USDA perss release on the Brimley infestation

chet

Read about it this morning in yesterdays Iron Mountain Daily News.  :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

pasbuild

Heard about it on the radio at work couldn't get any additional info until just now. I sorta knew it was coming but its still a shocker  :(
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Paschale

It makes me want to mill all our ash on our land in Delta County in the next year.   :'(
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

chet

I followed a small pickup load of firewood across da bridge today. They paid their $2.50 and kept on going.   :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Dana

My first thought Chet was why aren't the bridge tenders stopping them. But, they really don't have the time to visually check the vehicles. Maybe it is time to put the check point  workers right at the toll booth.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

chet

That is kinda what I was thinking.  :-\  We did see the checkpoint trailer off in an adjacent parking lot as we drove by.   ???

Furby

This goes back to what I have tried to say in the past.
I know you don't really want to hear it, and I REALLY don't want to say it, but...........
We should consider the entire Lower Pen. contaminated and spend the $$$ at the bridges, tunnels and state lines.
The State could not have possibly belived they could cut every ash tree around a Quarantine zone. With the economy in the hole and the never ending budget cuts, why did they ever start?

It's still easy to transport any wood you want, if you have an enclosed truck or trailer. Most may not take that route, but I know many who do.

BCCrouch

I know a gal who works for the Dept. of Ag. and she told me last month that all the bigwigs in the program are pulling out and coming back to the Dept. to get involved with other things.  The war is lost and the rats are leaving the sinking ship.  The field people are still operating, but they'll pull the plug on them in the next year or so.
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

farmerdoug

I think that they went wrong about dealing with the borer.  They cut from the inside out.  If you are fighting a fire then you fight from the outside in.  They should have started by cutting at the outside edge of the quaratine area in towards the center.  By cutting little by little it is allowing people to move the borer around.  By cutting from the outside in people would know about the problem as the news would have been all over it.  Canada cut all ash trees along the Michigan border back for a three mile swath.  They are going about it right.

Doug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Furby

BCCrouch

Quote from: farmerdoug on September 18, 2005, 09:32:03 PM
I think that...  *snip*  They are going about it right.

Doug

That takes foresight, money, and a thick hide to withstand the inevitable carping that the money should've been spent on people (parasites?) who need a helping hand.  Our political whores seldom possess such sterling qualities.  Besides, it's too late.  If the situation had been recognized and dealt with within a year or 18 months of the arrival of this pest and the first ash deaths, we might have had a chance to win the war.  They've spread too far, too fast and I don't care what they claim in the Great White North, the borer is already there in Ontario.
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

Jeff

Before someone sends me a report to moderator:

From From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Whores: In a more general sense of the word, anyone selling their services for a cause thought to be unworthy can be described as prostituting themselves.

SwampDonkey

I took it to mean that too Jeff. ;D I've actually used it many times in the same context. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

BCCrouch

Your interpretation is correct.  For a state bleeding blue-collar jobs that offer a decent compensation package, you'd think that our politicians would be more attuned to our natural resources and wood products industry.

Jeff

To be clear, its not my interpretation, its only my statement for allowing a word that normally would be banned or edited from the forestry forum.

Todd

I'm wondering where the money is going to come from when all the Ash trees that are still around start to die and it becomes a safety issue.  Here in Lucas county I'm pretty sure that when the state starts back to cutting they are going to be long gone and the cost is going to be to the municipalities and the private landowners.
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

SwampDonkey

tburtscher

In the great birch die-back (1937-47) the woods was full of window makers. My grandfather always remarked on it when he'd tell some stories of hunting deer. I know I wouldn't want to be in those woods. I don't know about the tax payer having to pay for removal of the trees though. You should have seen plantations and thinning blocks in the mid 80's that had those mature white birch nuked with Glyphosate. People had to work among snags and tops, what a mess.

Thank You Sponsors!