iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turk with ATTITUDE!

Started by Stump Jumper, June 07, 2004, 06:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stump Jumper

We are raising 5 turkeys and about 70 Vantress meat chickens.  The birds are about 4 weeks old and the turks already have attitudes.

See he is just a little guy with a big attitude.

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Furby

Yep, that sounds like a turk!!!  :D :D :D

Norm

I'd not heard of the Vantress breed before, looked them up on the internet. How do they compare in weight gain to the cornish-rock cross breeds?

I worked for a turkey raiser as a kid, one year he raised the bronze toms instead of the normal white ones. They got pretty aggressive by the time they were ready for market. Yours looks to be pretty tame. ;)

Stump Jumper

I have raised white mountain broilers in the past and did not have good luck with them and was not happy with the meat.  I am trying the Vantress this year and the weight gain seems to be a lot quicker.  These chicks were 4 weeks old yesterday.  I have gone through 300#'s of grain and I am on my next 100# bag now.

I have raised bronze turkeys in the past and they have always seemed to be friendly and not mean but they get picked up a lot from the time that they are brought home.  I have also raised the white ones and the disposition between the two seems to be the same except the the white ones are a lot more dumber.

You can look at townline hatcheries in New Zealand, Michigan, on their web site and it should tell you about the different meat birds that it carries that is where these came from.

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Norm

Thanks stump_jumper, they look to be gaining very well. I have some cornish-rocks that are  a little over 5 weeks old and are about the same size, be interested in how you like the meat after butchering.

SwampDonkey

Its fun raising those animals and the meat does taste better. And...you know how the meat was handled once you've done the butcher'n. Them turkeys sure do eat alot, the big chickens must eat alot too. I've never tried raising animals myself, got enough to do with work. :D

Your animals all look to be doing well. Good luck with them.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

Here is a current picture of the chicks they are now 7 1/2 weeks old and going through about 100# a of grain every 3 days there is about 70 birds.

The Turkeys are eating the same food and there are five of them.  They are also 7 1/2 weeks old.  Couldn't weigh them they don't hold still.

Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

Norm

They sure are gaining nicely, we are going to be butchering ours this weekend. Everyone I've asked if they want to help has told me they already have plans.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!