iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

changing clearing saw arbor to 1" from 20mm

Started by Tom King, May 05, 2021, 05:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom King

Seeing something mentioned in another thread lit a lightbulb.  Rather than highjacking that thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm still running a Stihl FS450K.  It has a 20mm arbor.  The adapters are more than a mild PIA, and my favorite blades have 1" arbor holes.  Anyone know of a good fix, to switch it to 1"?

Tacotodd

Talk to your local, liked, & COMPETENT machine shop. They will either make it new or build yours up to the size needed.
Trying harder everyday.

lxskllr

I haven't done it, but perhaps a conical nut would work; kinda like a lugnut. Probably would need to be custom made though.

Tom King

Thanks.  If I had the time, I'd machine one myself, but it's not worth that much trouble, or expense and time worth finding someone else to do it.  Too much else to do.  Someone mentioned swapping arbors in another thread, and I was wondering if that was a possibility.

When I change blades, I have to stack adapter washers, because the "seat" washer that the blade rests against has a depression.  I have to hold my mouth right to stack three adapter washers in there, and get the tension just right, or one will jump out of place.  Once I get it right, it's good until the next blade change.

mike_belben

I have turned a 1" shoulder down to the 7/8 or .750 standard, whatever it is... i cant recall.. But not gone the other way.  I can swap the splined hub between my old fs75R and my new 131.

I bet if you take the trimmer and the blades you want to run down to a decent stihl peddler you can get a splined centering puck from the parts bin.  My co-op stocks them.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!